[view this log on a separate page]

CacheMonkeez

Hey! I really like this new feature! Thanks!

Mac OS 10.2 / browser = Safari

I am having some sort of ''valign'' issue with the actual cache log, causing lots of extra white space. Here's what I mean. It's not a giant deal: I just thought I would point it out.

EDIT:

It works perfectly in Explorer; I just checked. This Safari issue is definitely not an important thing at all.

-- I am looking for cache recommendations for Salem, Mass. Got any?

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

Hey! I really like this new feature! Thanks!

_Mac OS 10.2 / browser = Safari_

http://users.beanstalk.net/jsk/geocaching/images/viewlog.jpg.

I'll have to look into this. The problem is the Safari browser won't wrap text around a table set, even though the table is set up to align to the right of the page. Most other browsers just position the table to the right of the page and write the text to the left.

The alternative is I would have to stick it in the same table, resulting in white space below the picture. Of course I'm from the old school notepad html editing scene, so there may be a better alternative.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

dadgum! Like the sheep that I am, I saw the header to this topic, so I right-click it and choose "Open in new window", only to see that it's not an instruction, just a topic header.

Well, if public school did one thing right, it taught me how to follow orders.

Budophylus

San Antonio, TX

5-star cache team member (because we can make the easiest 1/1 into a 5-* difficulty cache)

What started all of this? Well, I said to my friend: "I'm bored. Can't we find a new sport?" Now, hundreds of caches later...

quote:
Originally posted by CacheMonkeez:

quote:
Originally posted by CacheMonkeez:

[view this log on a separate page]

When did this get added? What's its benefit?

OK. So to answer my own question, the benefit is now I can link to just a single log instead of the entire cache page. That's cool.

OK, my question is why would anyone want to do that? Would it be for putting on your own personal webpage, so you could have links to all your cache logs? Maybe this is a really dumb question, but I honestly want to know, because I hate the way it is cluttering up the cache pages and it would be nice to understand what the real benefit is. Maybe then it won't irritate me so much.

Thanks!

*Daphne*

Mysteries Inc.

ingeo-button2.gif

"Their poverty, combined with their naivete and limited knowledge of the world, left them no choice but to put cheap, uninteresting stuff in their time capsule." -- from an article in the ONION, 14 Oct. 1999

Could we have an option to *not* have permalinks? When I go to my list of caches and click on one of them, it takes me to my most recent log for that cache. I don't go back to caches I've found to read my old logs, I go to them to see who else has found them and read what they've written.

It was also awkward maneuvering around: an owner asked me to edit a log on his cache and to get to it took more clicks than it used to. I used to just go to My Cache Page, click on the cache, scroll to my post and edit it. Now I go to My Cache Page, click on the cache, go to my most recent log, click on the cache, go to the cache page, scroll to my post and edit it.

Please can we have an option to disable this??

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

Please can we have an option to disable this??

Jeremy made a post here saying that both links would be available on the My Cache Page. That should solve your problem. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I really appreciate having permalinks to all of my own logs. If I just want to see my log and maybe the pictures associated with it, for most of my caches that meant having to load the cache page, choose the 'show all logs' option, and then scroll down through 20 other logs.

Very soon, I will be going through all my logs and making a database that contains all of my permalinks. "Just in case." Also, the permalink page lends itself more readily to printing out just my log for purposes of making a scrapbook with photo prints.

But, like others have said, there are also times when I would like to just go to the cache page and see what's up with the cache since the time when I logged it. Having both options would really rock!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Very soon, I will be going through all my logs and making a database that contains all of my permalinks. "Just in case." Also, the permalink page lends itself more readily to printing out just my log for purposes of making a scrapbook with photo prints.

Where, oh where, do you find the time, Lep? Wouldn't you rather spend that time caching? ... Oh ... wait ... you do LOTS of that, too. I guess it helps that you don't sleep very much.

icon_biggrin.gif

I see now that I can follow a link from "My Cache Page" to EITHER the cache I logged, OR the permalink page for my individual log entry. Thanks for the quick response, Jeremy! This is a great improvement.

MissJenn, I used to sleep very soundly prior to sharing a tent with Mopar at the Ricketts Glen Event Cache in May. Now, it's one eye open, all the time.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

I really like the addition of a link for the Log and the Cache Page.

I was actually gonna suggest that.

One MINOR suggestion, place the [log] [cache] between the date and the cache name, like this:

icon_smile.gif 9/29/03 [cache] [log] Geocache-Name

icon_smile.gif 9/29/03 [cache] [log] Really long Geocache Name

I think this would make it a bit nicer looking - with geocaches having different lengths for names. Not a big deal - I think it's great as it is but this might look better.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

[This message was edited by southdeltan on September 29, 2003 at 05:43 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Scooby, Shaggy & Daphne:OK, _my_ question is why would anyone want to do _that_?

I use this with my LocLess2Loc tool. This creates a loc-file from all logs of a locationless cache. The hyperlinks associated with the waypoints in the loc-file are referring to the individual logs. When you use GPS Visualizer or CacheMaps to show the loc-file waypoints on a map, you can directly click through to the log entry.

You can find LocLess2Loc on my homepage in the downlad area. Make sure to download version 1.1!

BigBird icon_smile.gif

CMLogo_Transparent_Dark_Medium.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Scooby, Shaggy & Daphne:

I hate the way it is cluttering up the cache pages

I just wanted to write and say that since it is in blue now, it is not near as noticeable and doesn't bother me anymore.

THANK YOU!!! icon_smile.gif

*Daphne*

"Their poverty, combined with their naivete and limited knowledge of the world, left them no choice but to put cheap, uninteresting stuff in their time capsule." -- from an article in the ONION, 14 Oct. 1999