paper caching-what do you do? :)

Before I had a paperless GPS I had everything on a Palm, using Cachemate. Before the Palm I would simply print out the caches I was interested in finding. I'm still finding stacks of cache pages in our house.

I understand GSAK has macro that does condensed cache page printing. I'd probably use that now if I had no paperless GPS or Palm.

I tried many different schemes before I went paperless. Every one of them was some form of compromise and had problems. I ended up with cache pages printed and stacked all over the place and the wife ticked off. She bought me a PDA to get me started and I have never looked back. Ink and paper cost so much that a cheap pda is cheaper. As long as you don't dunk it in the creek that is. :laughing:

It would depend entirely on the tools you have. Netbook, laptop, smart device, palm type device, nothing, etc. Look at what you have and what you have that you are willing to take into the field with you as you cache. You know better than us strangers what you've got going for you. :3 Let us know! I've seen people as lo-fi as printed cache listings and scribbled notes on paper.

What do you do when you don't have a paperless gps and need to go caching? :) I like to get the important info of the page to paste it on Word so I can print a bunch of info at once. What do you do? :grin:

All I do is put the hint on my GPS. But now i am looking at a paperless gps to get. People have any suggestions on good paperless gps' for under $200? I've ruled out the explorer GC, has some bad reviews.

Dakota 10 would be your best bet at that price range. You should be able to get one new for under $170. Ebay has been averaging $150 for a Dakota 10 Hike and Bike bundle unopened.

Only problem i had with the GC is the base map is all it can hold. Without the ability to use a decent topo map its worthless to me.

I've printed some maps of areas I'm not as familiar with and then numbered them with the caches too.

And I've also scribbled notes.

It kind of all depends on the day what I do for my caches. Sometimes I go with no information at all other than the coordinates and name of the cache and just wing it too.

I tried a lot.

I started out printing out cache pages.

Then my printer broke.

I got really fast at writing up just the essential info needed on paper. I've got reams of these papers. I started filing them, but it's hard to re-use them because on the used ones I've found some and others change.

I figure I've written up some 2000 caches at this point.

I almost gave up caching because I can't face writing up one more cache.

I got a PDA. It didn't work with Vista.

I got a smart phone. The battery does not last long enough for me to get a good caching run in, and is not good in the rain or in the woods.

I finally broke down and got a Garmin 400t. Paperless, has topo maps and will do Wherigo's.

I wish I had of done it a lot sooner.

What do you do when you don't have a paperless gps and need to go caching? :) I like to get the important info of the page to paste it on Word so I can print a bunch of info at once. What do you do? :grin:

i write down the name, gc#, and any hints then put them on gps. got a small notebook half filled and ready.