What's going on? Site almost unresponsive

For several days now I don't get the smiley icon on caches that I have already found when looking on the map (both old and new). Right now the site is extremely slow, barely responding at all from any of my computers (different Internet connections). Anyone else experiencing the same? I can't find any official info about problems or other operational status.

Bengt, Sweden

For several days now I don't get the smiley icon on caches that I have already found when looking on the map (both old and new). Right now the site is extremely slow, barely responding at all from any of my computers (different Internet connections). Anyone else experiencing the same? I can't find any official info about problems or other operational status.

Bengt, Sweden

I just tried and can't get in at all. Came here to look for a note that they were down for maintenance.

Sorry for being lazy here but is there a solution around or do we just have to wait for Groundspeak to fix the bug? :) Good that it's not just me seeing the probs..

Check the several active threads about the problems with the maps, it's a well-known issue. I will agree the main page is very slow this morning. I did manage to get in once, but it was so frustrating I came back here.

I still think they should not have moved the site issue forum off of here. When you go there not to report it you can't because it loops you to gc.com to sign in which you can't because it's down. :angry:

Their customer service metrics must have gone through the roof. "Overall complaints are down since moving the site issues forum off of the main forum..." :rolleyes:

I still think they should not have moved the site issue forum off of here. When you go there not to report it you can't because it loops you to gc.com to sign in which you can't because it's down. :angry:

How many times have I said that feedback site stinks? I've lost count. This is just one more reason to dislike it.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I always have the worst time trying to log into the Feedback site. I've wanted to vote and comment on some issues, but I get so frustrated trying to log in, I give up. :mad:

I know, I should start a Feedback thread about it, eh? <_<

How many times have I said that feedback site stinks? I've lost count. This is just one more reason to dislike it.

i got tired talking to myself, so i stopped saying it long time ago :lol:

Their customer service metrics must have gone through the roof. "Overall complaints are down since moving the site issues forum off of the main forum..." :rolleyes:

That's because using that cruddy site isn't worth the effort.

In the mean time how do you report a site issue when you can't sign in to the site issue reporting site? (and she sells sea shells...)

Perhaps this is actually a new feature? Scheduling the site crashes midweek instead of on weekends?

I can actually see the logic in that. Crash the site now in hopes of it staying alive on the weekend. Worth a shot I guess. :lol:

According to Jeremy's Facebook postings, things should be looking up soon.

You know it's too bad they don't have a forum section for Geocaching Announcements.

I was thinking the same thing. If the forums were down then i could see the posting of info elsewhere. Otherwise, the Geocaching Announcements section of the forum should be the place for keeping us informed. Personally, i don't use facebook and think any information related to the Geocaching site would be better off placed somewhere, almost anywhere, else.

Wasn't this meltdown scheduled for Friday afternoon?

Perhaps this is actually a new feature? Scheduling the site crashes midweek instead of on weekends?

This is just a beta test weekend crash.

That figures. They just want to make sure they are ready to crash properly on Friday afternoon. Got it.

On a good note, Waymarking.com is really fast!

It isn't hard to handle that kind of traffic.

You know it's too bad they don't have a forum section for Geocaching Announcements.

I was thinking the same thing. If the forums were down then i could see the posting of info elsewhere. Otherwise, the Geocaching Announcements section of the forum should be the place for keeping us informed. Personally, i don't use facebook and think any information related to the Geocaching site would be better off placed somewhere, almost anywhere, else.

That's just it. I don't facebook. I don't twitter. I never did myspace. They have the facilities here to disseminate the information. Why not use it? Sure, if the forums are down I understand it's great to have an alternate means in place. But why is the off site solution the go to solution?

Bengt, Sweden

I had the problem on the new map until I noticed a menu of settings on the left of the map. A vaguely worded check box "Personalize your map" or something similar, without any details, showed the smiley icon and another icon after checking the box and the "found" caches were changed to smilies on the map. I don't know about any "old" map problems. I haven't been able to get any results from the site today at all. Managed to get logged on but no searches would work.

That's just it. I don't facebook. I don't twitter. I never did myspace. They have the facilities here to disseminate the information. Why not use it? Sure, if the forums are down I understand it's great to have an alternate means in place. But why is the off site solution the go to solution?

I only visited Twitter this morning to dis Trump, I haven't visted MySpace in months and the same goes for Facebook (in another thread someone suggested GC.com should have a face lift, be more like Facebook - I don't use it because I find it a frustrating and inexplicable site, hence I don't go there.)

Useful would be a simple link on the front page of GC.com, i.e. "Signal and his lackeys are working to resolve issues, please be patient, click here for status updates", like when we see that the site will be down between umpty and umpty um for maintenance.

Useful would be a simple link on the front page of GC.com, i.e. "Signal and his lackeys are working to resolve issues, please be patient, click here for status updates", like when we see that the site will be down between umpty and umpty um for maintenance.

Agreed, in general, but this morning, all that clicking on that link would have done was to change the mouse pointer to an hourglass.

The disgruntlement seems to be a communication problem primarily.

I am sure that we could all live with (yet another) crash (but see PS).

BUT

'Jeremy's Facebook page'? Why post there? How many of us are Jeremy's friends even if we use FB in the first place?

I have posted this elsewhere, but make no apology for repeating myself. GC have ALL of out e-mail addresses, so e-mail us and let us ALL know what the position is. We ALL get a regular e-mail from GC so it can be done easily.

Not a great proportion of us are Jeremy's FB friends and not such a large proportion of us use the forums either.

Communication really can be very simple and stops people getting quite so p*ss*d off.

PP

(PS any US cachers complaining about daytime downtime will get a (virtual) smacked bottom. Over here in Europe, planned downtime is almost always during the day.)

so we're supposed to check out his FB postings to get any news? :blink:

Everybody is automatically expected to already do that.

Why? What is wrong with expecting to see geocaching announcements in the geocaching announcements forum? Isn't that what it's there for?

did you quote the wrong posts or you're being extremely sarcastic? :lol:

The disgruntlement seems to be a communication problem primarily.

I am sure that we could all live with (yet another) crash (but see PS).

BUT

'Jeremy's Facebook page'? Why post there? How many of us are Jeremy's friends even if we use FB in the first place?

I have posted this elsewhere, but make no apology for repeating myself. GC have ALL of out e-mail addresses, so e-mail us and let us ALL know what the position is. We ALL get a regular e-mail from GC so it can be done easily.

Not a great proportion of us are Jeremy's FB friends and not such a large proportion of us use the forums either.

Communication really can be very simple and stops people getting quite so p*ss*d off.

PP

(PS any US cachers complaining about daytime downtime will get a (virtual) smacked bottom. Over here in Europe, planned downtime is almost always during the day.)

I can understand that email would be a problem. First, by the time everyone got an email the problem would, hopefully, be over. Second, no sense taxing resources that are already experiencing problems.

Why? What is wrong with expecting to see geocaching announcements in the geocaching announcements forum? Isn't that what it's there for?

Clearly not. Jeremy, if he has an ounce of sanity (left) he would steer clear of these forums, leaving his lackeys to the slaughter. ;)

Who wants to chip in for a new sarcasm detector for GOF? :P

did you quote the wrong posts or you're being extremely sarcastic? :lol:

OK folks. It is the Grumpy in Grumpy Old Fart showing through my usually pleasant, slightly comedic, demeanor.

Clearly not. Jeremy, if he has an ounce of sanity (left) he would steer clear of these forums, leaving his lackeys to the slaughter. ;)

Any one of a number of the GC employees could easily post an update and immediately lock the thread. Thus the announcement would be an announcement.