Photos in Logs

GEOSiege

I've recently discovered Geocaching with my son. I've always loved taking photos, and taking photos during a cache hunt is a no-brainer to remember and preserve our adventures.

I've been including photos of the paper logs themselves, along with any other photos that I deem interesting for each cache find on the online log.

I'm careful not to include spoilers in the photos such as the actual cache location or the container itself. I'm wondering if there are any other do's & dont's specific to photos. Is it bad form to include a photo of our paper log entry?

I've noticed a few instances where the photo revealed an online log didn't show a signature on the physical log. I wasn't meaning to reveal any potential armchair loggers. I was just posting what I thought was an interesting photo of the physical log as we found it at that particular point in time.

Photos of the actual container if it is an ammo can, PB jar, lock'n'lock or other common container generally is not frowned on, unless it has a unique or cool cammo. Of course this would be a picture of your son holding the container and the view does not reveal the hiding spot. Pictures of the actual location generally is considered a no-no. If the cache has a unique and distinctive camo then no pictures should be posted. I see no issues with posting pictures of the logs. If you inadvertently expose an armchair logger I don't see that as your problem. But then again, perhaps the online log was from someone that was part of a team or group and only the team stamp or signature appears. I cache with a group and we frequently stamp the logs Team Geo-Ducks. I do note in my online log that I was part of the team, but other teams don't.

Discipline - remember all the photos you take you will have to review, edit, post when you get home. I'm a great one for taking 300 pictures on a cache run of about 15. I need more MEMORY in my computer. But I often do turn up some real gems. Check my gallery.

Hide locations are generally not revealed. I tend to focus on what's great or unique about the surroundings. Some caches are great destinations, well worth the journey.

Thanks for the replies! I asked the question because in my area (middle Tennessee) it seems rare that any photos accompany the online log entries. I was thinking from the CO's point of view that I'd LOVE to see photos of the physical log entry and folks in and around the cache location.

I'll often upload multiple photos for a cache find. I'll usually include the physical log and any swag we are trading. I'll also post photos of TBs that we retrieve or drop along the way. I'm thinking that as a CO or a TB owner, I'd love to see these photos....and I'm happy to include them. I just feel a little weird since I appear to be unique with the inclusion of photos with my online log entries.

I think any photos that are not spoilers are fine. As a cache owner one of my favorite things is to see a photo of a smiling family holding one of my containers. Now if it were specially camoed cache like a fake sprinkler head or hollow rock I might, feel differently but if you've seen one ammo box or Lock-n-Lock you've seen them all.

I take a LOT of pictures and include them in logs. Especially on the geocoins that I'm moving along. I rarely post pictures of the cache containers in my cache logs though, just out of personal preference. I do tend to include pics of cool cache containers on the geocoin logs, so that the owners can see what their coin is in, or what it visited.

some caches are more about the experience to get to GZ than the hide itself. I know many COs who do not even care about spoiler pictures on such caches, but in those cases, its best to ask first.

As a CO I really do like photos in logs - as long as they don't give away a sneaky hide. There have been some really good ones (wish I could favorite log entries :^) and I have on occasion heard back from CO's who have enjoyed my photojournalism attempts.

I have on occasion heard back from CO's who have enjoyed my photojournalism attempts.

I hear back from coin owners for the same reason from time to time. It makes the effort put into writing decent logs and including good pics worth it, knowing that someone actually enjoyed it enough to write back.

I have on occasion heard back from CO's who have enjoyed my photojournalism attempts.

I hear back from coin owners for the same reason from time to time. It makes the effort put into writing decent logs and including good pics worth it, knowing that someone actually enjoyed it enough to write back.

I was quite remorseful about yesterday, where I actually succeeded in moving along several coins and bugs, but didn't have my camera with me (didn't want to get bogged down with too much picture editing when I got home.) Turned out to be a great day in what is regarded as an extremely scenic area.

Thanks for the replies! I asked the question because in my area (middle Tennessee) it seems rare that any photos accompany the online log entries. I was thinking from the CO's point of view that I'd LOVE to see photos of the physical log entry and folks in and around the cache location.

I'll often upload multiple photos for a cache find. I'll usually include the physical log and any swag we are trading. I'll also post photos of TBs that we retrieve or drop along the way. I'm thinking that as a CO or a TB owner, I'd love to see these photos....and I'm happy to include them. I just feel a little weird since I appear to be unique with the inclusion of photos with my online log entries.

Sounds like you are doing fine! I agree with everything everybody else has said. Just one note about taking photos of TB's or coins: be sure that your photo does NOT show the TB tracking number on the tag! If it does, people might use that number to "armchair log" the TB and mess up it's travel history and mileage.

I was thinking from the CO's point of view that I'd LOVE to see photos of the physical log entry and folks in and around the cache location.

I think it is fun to see pictures of the people who visit my caches, or pictures of something that a visitor thought was photogenic. Pictures of the log would not interest me, but as others have said, they are your photos . . .

I get down right giddy when I have a TB with goal to be photographed with something. Don't find too many like that.

I'll take photos of cool stuff at the cache sites or neat scenery and post them here and there. Some caches I've found I'm surprised there aren't photos for. I try to not post pictures of cache containers or right at the hiding spot. Usually I go for the nearby pictures.

When taking pics of a log always take it without giving away the area. I recommend placing it on the ground and taking the pic. I got spoiled just a few weeks ago of seeing a pic of a street sign in the background of a photo. I knew right away it was on that sign when I saw it......it ruined the fun of the hunt for me on that one.

I also wish that people would post more photos with their logs - we do try to include photos of anything interesting we saw on way, or the kiddies with the cache if it's not a "clever camo" type...that kind of thing. We also try to take photos of TBs on their travels, especially if the bug owner has specifically requested this.

I love looking at photos people have uploaded, partly because it's nice to see other families enjoying the "sport", and partly to give na idea of the type of views we might look forward to at or en route to the site.

if its a puzzle and your camera geotags your photos, you can give away the location of the final by posting a photo in your logs!

Ohhhh, now THERE is something that didn't occur to me...and yet it really should have. I'll often use the mapping slideshow theme in iPhoto to show off pics of our Geocaching adventures to family and friends.

Some of those photos are spot on, but many are off - some by a mile or more. I personally wouldn't trust a photo's coordinates, but they'll mostly be in the vacinity.

Regardless, that is something I'll consider when posting photos related to a multi-stage puzzle cache. Thanks for that observation!

if its a puzzle and your camera geotags your photos, you can give away the location of the final by posting a photo in your logs!

Ohhhh, now THERE is something that didn't occur to me...and yet it really should have.

If you have the right software, you can remove the geotags from the version of the photograph that you upload to Groundspeak. The trick is remembering to do so.

Ohhhh, now THERE is something that didn't occur to me...and yet it really should have.

If you have the right software, you can remove the geotags from the version of the photograph that you upload to Groundspeak. The trick is remembering to do so.

Question is, do the geotags survive Groundspeak's image resizing process?

97abba24-123b-4805-ac9f-dd523708b852.jpg

Got to say, one of my all time favorite finds was made possible by this picture. A tough puzzle I could not solve for a cache located in woods that were unknown within the two mile radius. Examined the cache page "evidence" and matched it with the twenty or so conservation lands in the area, then identified a top suspect and brought this picture with me and went hunting. Found the cache right away as soon as I got to the right spot, even though I had no idea where the right spot was. How is it that you can find a cache quickly without knowing where it is, yet can DNF on another cache despite having GPS in hand that takes you to the very spot? In this case, without the image, there would have been no chance and, yet, it does not show where exactly the cache was hidden, so would you call the picture a spoiler? Can you tell from the picture what allowed me to find the cache?

97abba24-123b-4805-ac9f-dd523708b852.jpg

In this case, without the image, there would have been no chance and, yet, it does not show where exactly the cache was hidden, so would you call the picture a spoiler? Can you tell from the picture what allowed me to find the cache?

You went looking for a kid in the woods with a dog?? :lol:

Or the blaze on the tree in the background.

I've posted over 900 photos in my logs. But I still haven't learned to have my camera with me always. Once, while caching near Sacramento, I saw a rare California tornado. I could have had some outstanding photos of it but as it were I could only see what the TV news channels showed. Another time a tree "fell" onto the county road and remained standing! It's limbs got caught on other trees and the steep hill on the other side of the road. When my wife and I came upon it we both just sat there with our jaws open. It was exactly as if the tree had grown in the middle of the pavement. Of course - no camera. Don't post spoilers but otherwise post as many photos as you like. Photos are always welcomed on my hides.