"Spoiler" pictures posted to site

I recently noticed two "Spoiler" pictures posted to my "The Dolphin" GC1GA19 cache. I have sent messages to both visitors that posted the pictures requesting that they remove the explicit location photos. If they do not respond in a reasonable time, what course of action can I take to have these photos removed from my site? I have received mail from other visitors saying they wish they had not seen the photos as they ruined the fun of the hunt. :unsure: Thanks. Capt. Brigg

Delete the logs and invite them to relog the finds without the spoiler pics. Be gentle and kind, chances are that they are new cachers and don't realize that it is considered bad manners to post spoiler pics. Especially when the cache page says that there may be spoilers below in the logs.

Edited by wimseyguy

Delete the logs and invite them to relog the finds without the spoiler pics. Be gentle and kind, chances are that they are new cachers and don't realize that it is considered bad manners to post spoiler pics. Especially when the cache page says that there may be spoilers below in the logs.

Good advice.

I recently noticed two "Spoiler" pictures posted to my "The Dolphin" GC1GA19 cache. I have sent messages to both visitors that posted the pictures requesting that they remove the explicit location photos. If they do not respond in a reasonable time, what course of action can I take to have these photos removed from my site? I have received mail from other visitors saying they wish they had not seen the photos as they ruined the fun of the hunt. :unsure: Thanks. Capt. Brigg

My goodness, yes!! That is most certainly a spoiler of a very good cache!

I'm with the rest here. You already asked them to remove the picture and they didn't. Delete the spoiler logs and tell them they can re-log the cache without the pictures. There's no reason for them to post those pictures. Be prepared for some bad attitudes when you delete their logs. Hope it's not a problem. Good luck.

This raises a question. Why can we not simply delete photos but spare the log?

And why is there no way to include a note with the notice of deletion that the logger receives?

The Lackeys on the Feedback forum have indicated that both of these are in the future.

On some of my special hides I state in the description that I do not allow spoiler pics of the actual container and/or camo. If a cachers reads this and still posts a spoiler pic I would delete their log and kindly ask them to re-log without the spoiler pic(s).I don't mind spoiler text because most of others logs dont describe the cache as detailed as a picture.

Edited by snapshot7

Logs may contain spoilers, it's a well-known fact.

If people want spoilers, they will look at the previous logs.

If they don't, they won't.

If I ever get to your cache, I'll be sure to log 'TFTC', and nothing more.

Hmmm... I see your point, but I think photos become an entirely different beast. It's one thing to make mention of some hint or spoiler, it's another to show people what the cache is or how it is hidden. My opinion.

I often say, "careful what you wish for". I was comlaining about tftc logs and then got several spoiler logs. Not sure why people think they know better than the CO what should be on the page. It is not either "Spoiler" or "TFTC" only. I think that is a bad attitude and doesn't help at all. Pretty silly.

Edited by M 5

Hmmm... I see your point, but I think photos become an entirely different beast. It's one thing to make mention of some hint or spoiler, it's another to show people what the cache is or how it is hidden. My opinion.

Totally agree. Text just helps. A picture is something else.

Others have already answered your question, so let me just add:

Stop Yelling!

Sorry about the large font, but I can't see or read the small font very well on my screen.

Capt. Brigg

I would not worry about what two people rushing to judgement say about your post. You've asked a valid question in a perfectly valid way.

Besides, IT'S THE ALL CAPS WHICH ACTUALLY CONSIDERED YELLING. Not a change in font size.

I look at the cahce page gallery often to see if its a place I'd like to go to, and for many other reasons, but to see spoiler images is not one of them. The OP has a clever cache that was totally given away by the picture. I don't think you would simply log TFTC on that one.

I look at the cahce page gallery often to see if its a place I'd like to go to, and for many other reasons, but to see spoiler images is not one of them. The OP has a clever cache that was totally given away by the picture. I don't think you would simply log TFTC on that one.

+1

Logs can be especially helpful for caches that involve hikes. Some logs will report trail distances, elevation changes, suggested routes, etc. Pictures might include tracking routes, trail elevation profiles, scenic views, etc.

Logs for urban caches might note that the location is in a high-crime area, there are discarded needles nearby, or the cache is surrounded by garbage.

If you add text spoilers, then be sure to encrypt them. If you want to add photo spoilers, then get permission from the CO first.

How about an encrypt/decrypt image function? Not that I think it will happen, but its an idea.

The next-best thing: post the pictures to an external site (Picasa, Flickr, Photobucket, etc). Put a text link in your log with a spoiler warning. People can decide if they want to click it, or not.

Others have already answered your question, so let me just add:

Stop Yelling!

Sorry about the large font, but I can't see or read the small font very well on my screen.

Capt. Brigg

I would not worry about what two people rushing to judgement say about your post. You've asked a valid question in a perfectly valid way.

Besides, IT'S THE ALL CAPS WHICH ACTUALLY CONSIDERED YELLING. Not a change in font size.

That is not to say that altering the font, size, or color isn't often irritating for other forum participants.

The Control ++ is a nice touch, thanks, but it is not as viewable as a font change when I'm adding text.

I regularly read the visitor posts to see when a cache was last found and how many visitors found or did not find the cache. Sometimes the given Lat/Long is very different than what my GPS says when I do find a cache and brief "general" hints from other cachers may make the difference in identifying the general area.

I greatly appreciate visitors to my caches leaving comments such as "very unusual cache" " really enjoyed this find" or other forms of positive feedback. The positive feedback is why I maintain three caches.

I definitely support allowing the Cache Owner to remove spoiler pictures without removing the log. I didn't even know you could remove the picture by removing the log, so that is good information. Thanks to all that responded to my question.

Capt. Brigg

If reading Stephen King has taught me anything, it's this:

Normal.

With feeling!(Or creepy internal dialog.)

Said while making a pointy motion with your finger.

LOUD.

LOUD AND WITH FEELING. (Or yelling inside your own head.)

LOUD AND POINTING.

LOUD CRAZY POINTING POSSIBLY IN YOUR OWN HEAD.

THE VOICE OF SOME CRAZY LOUD BEING THAT YOU CAN'T WRAP YOUR MIND AROUND. IT MAY BE POINTING OR JUST POINTING IN YOUR HEAD. YOUR NOSE MAY BE BLEEDING.

I don't mean to be rude, but how are you reading the responses to your question?

With great effort and care, and now with ctrl +++ somewhat less effort.

Gotcha. You can also hold down ctrl and use the scroll wheel on your mouse (if you have one) for the same effect.

If you are on a Windows computer, there are a lot of tools to help visually impaired users. Most of them offer far better solutions than just changing the font on stuff you type.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/access_vision_cc.mspx?mfr=true

I don't mean to be rude, but how are you reading the responses to your question?

With great effort and care, and now with ctrl +++ somewhat less effort.

Gotcha. You can also hold down ctrl and use the scroll wheel on your mouse (if you have one) for the same effect.

In case you haven't figured it out yet:

"Ctrl" + "-": reduces font size

"Ctrl" + "0" (zero): restores default font size