What to do when a group of geocaches with one username splits up

iamgeek

We are a group of geocachers and we all have one account. We would now like to split up into more than one account so that we can go and find geocaches without the other geocahers being there. The problem is that we would also like the keep our finds. I was thinking of creating the other two accounts and changing the name of the current account. Then printing out all of the geocaches we have found and logging them with the other two accounts. I know that I have seen posts about deleting fake logs but, our logs would not be fake because we have been to each cache. I was thinking that when I log the logs I should explain what is going on and that we really have visited the cache but, with a different username. I would also set the date to the day we found it. Is this an OK thing to do? We would really like to have our own accounts while keeping our finds at the same time. If this is not OK can you please give us some recommendations? Thanks

I had to do the same thing when my daughters wanted their own names. We had to re-log 100 caches. We just simply stated in our log that, "_____ just started their own account and found with ao318".

Took a little while but all worked out ok.

Edited by ao318

I had to do the same thing when my daughters wanted their own names. We had to re-log 100 caches. We just simply stated in our log that, "_____ just started their own account and found with ao318".

We only have about 100 caches, too. I think that is what we are going to do. I am just afraid that they will delete the logs thinking they were fake.

Just include an explanation. "Daughter/son/pet of therowellfamily2 now logging my own account." or something like that. Keep the dates the same as the original logs so that they are close to each other and your history is correct.

yes - that

I've seen that numerous timesover the years on my caches. usually a child getting his/her own account and backlogging all the ones done with the folks.

We only have about 100 caches, too. I think that is what we are going to do. I am just afraid that they will delete the logs thinking they were fake.

None of the logs we made were deleted. We even had to post a few onto PM caches and they aren't PM members. None of those loge were or have been deleted either.

We get these from time to time on our older caches. Just had a bunch of backdated logs this past week from an old team that split up into new, individual accounts. They've had their work cut out for them, they logged 1,650 as a team before deciding to split up. All of their logs have been cut and paste logs as above -- we logged this as a part of team X, we are now cacher Y and are logging this find under our old account.

I'd go ahead and log them, and if a specific cache owner has an issue, they'll let you know and you can discuss it.

Just please, please, please put the original date in the new logs... I've been tricked by someone splitting accounts this winter. Looks like a recent find but it's not. "Hey, someone recently found that cache with all this snow, perhaps I could follow the geotracks... never mind..." :( Harmless since I discovered it before going for the cache, but annoying all the same.

I’ve seen this done as well. A prominent caching team in our area decided they wanted to have their own logins. I also saw it done by a married team that went on the rocks. I’m not sure if it was enumerated in the divorce decree who got the geocache login and who had to go back through and relog over 1000 caches.

Your chances of bouncing into an overzealous anal retentive CO who might delete your logs are minimized by the limited number of caches you are relogging. Plus, most of your finds are in South Carolina. Do they even let overzealous anal retentive people into South Carolina?

Now is the time to do it. One hundred is a pain, but a couple thousand would be a massive project. You shouldn’t have a problem.

can you just change the name on the account without losing your caches? when i created our account i didnt really think it would be something we would really get into ...well 33 day and 101 caches latter we are obsessed!!! (i dont have time to shop,clean,cook there are caches to find!!) we would like to have a name that is more then just our initals.

can you just change the name on the account without losing your caches? when i created our account i didnt really think it would be something we would really get into ...well 33 day and 101 caches latter we are obsessed!!! (i dont have time to shop,clean,cook there are caches to find!!) we would like to have a name that is more then just our initals.

Please see the Page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books entitled Username Change.