11/11/11 Event?

I've only been Geocaching for two weeks so I'm too new to have taken part in the 10/10/10 event. So I was wondering if there might be a 11/11/11 event this year to look forward too. :3

It might be a little early to be listing events for November, but it depends on the cachers in your local area. Around here, I'll be really surprised if there isn't an event for that date, and it will probably start at 11:11 AM or something. (Or since it's a Friday, maybe 11:11 PM.)

On this thread in the feedback section, which wanted a locationless event for 11/11, Jeremey stated "We don't have any plans to use 11/11/11 for any promotions this year since it would be considered bad taste to the international community who celebrate Armistice day on November 11."

However, I assume that local cachers will organize events that are appropriate to their area.

Edited by mulvaney

I think I saw somewhere that the event for Groundspeak is Aug 20th, GeoWoodstock? I hope that's right but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

As far as 11/11/11 goes that is remembrance day here north of the Border and I would agree with not making it into a caching event. It would be cool to see some memorial style caches published in remembrance however.

An event at 07:08 09/10/11 would be great though. I think that it would be cool to make a series of say.... 06 caches to find with a hot dog lunch to follow at 12:13. Hmmm?!? Striving for 06 @ 07:08 on 09/10/11 with lunch to follow at 12:13!

I'm hoping for a 9/10/11 event, which is a Saturday.

11/11/11 would be a bad idea as it Veterans/Armistice Day and a Friday.

Sounds like a good day for an event then. Many people would be able to attend because either they're off work already or they can leave early on a Friday. The harder part would be if you wanted to include Veteran's Day in the event description without it coming across as an agenda.

There is a holiday or something on every day of the year so just because 11/11 is very important to some doesn't mean that's the only thing you're allowed to recognize on that date.

An event at 07:08 09/10/11 would be great though. I think that it would be cool to make a series of say.... 06 caches to find with a hot dog lunch to follow at 12:13. Hmmm?!? Striving for 06 @ 07:08 on 09/10/11 with lunch to follow at 12:13!
Wow.

My original point, however subtly I presented it, was that there are lots of dates out there that make a pattern, so it seems kind of silly. I get that the 10/10/10 event celebrated Groundspeak's 10th anniversary, but what are we celebrating on 11/11/11? Or 09/10/11 for that matter? "Yay! We Can Count!" events! :laughing:

But, since the idea seems to have taken off, I'd appreciate it if I get a little kickback from it. Perhaps put my name in the pot for the door prizes at the event? Thanks! :ph34r:

Ok, I officially name it the "Too Tall 7:08pm 9/10/11 Event"

Sounds perfectly cromulent to me. It could even embiggen the soul.

As 11/11/11 really is taken by a much larger event, with deeper meaning than even Geocaching will plumb, I still think a Poppy themed geocoin wouldn't be a bad move - as a reminder of the price of war.

So a 7:08 9/10/11 fills the gap and gives everyone an excuse to get together all around the US (held a month later in other parts of the world where date format differs - Yay! Have two parties!)