Suspicious Activity

zeadhead

I read this a couple of weeks ago in a local paper and it inspired me to give geocaching a try :)

From the Mukilto Beacon: http://www.mukilteobeacon.com/police/article.exm/2011-02-23_police_beat_for_week_of_feb__23

Suspicious Incident – 11700 blk SR-525

Officers responded to the parking lot in front of Mukilteo Physical Therapy regarding several people stopping at the base of the light post. They were leaving something under the steel cover on the base, and a while later someone else would arrive and take or leave something. The caller looked and found an “Altoids” can, but did not look inside. Officers found a “Geo-Cashing” log book used with GPS Treasure Hunt games.

I read this a couple of weeks ago in a local paper and it inspired me to give geocaching a try :)

From the Mukilto Beacon: http://www.mukilteobeacon.com/police/article.exm/2011-02-23_police_beat_for_week_of_feb__23

Officers responded to the parking lot in front of Mukilteo Physical Therapy regarding several people stopping at the base of the light post. They were leaving something under the steel cover on the base, and a while later someone else would arrive and take or leave something. The caller looked and found an “Altoids” can, but did not look inside. Officers found a “Geo-Cashing” log book used with GPS Treasure Hunt games.

The guy actually looked, found an Altoids tin, and still called the police? Guess he was looking for his five minutes of fame.

BTW, welcome. You have a head start on most newbies. You already know about the famous LPC, (Lamp Post Cache). After you find two of them, they become boring, but most newbies, myself included, search and search and search, and never think to lift up that cover.

In fairness the tin might have been a drugs stash and if the caller had touched it and opened it if it was a drug he could have been destorying evidence so it is a bit of a no win situation when you find an unmarked container. I am assuming the tin was not properly marked with a label as a cache.

The guy actually looked, found an Altoids tin, and still called the police? Guess he was looking for his five minutes of fame.

BTW, welcome. You have a head start on most newbies. You already know about the famous LPC, (Lamp Post Cache). After you find two of them, they become boring, but most newbies, myself included, search and search and search, and never think to lift up that cover.

In fairness the tin might have been a drugs stash

Where on earth do people get this concept of a "drug stash". People... drugs are sold, and sold for lots of money. They don't just leave them somewhere in public for others to take if they want to.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Sort of like a drug vending machine. Dealer stocks the cache with product, user comes along, deposits the appropriate amount of money and takes his product. All on the honor system, of course, because if you can't trust a drug addict who can you trust? :-). Sure, that would work...

Where on earth do people get this concept of a "drug stash". People... drugs are sold, and sold for lots of money. They don't just leave them somewhere in public for others to take if they want to.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Sort of like a drug vending machine. Dealer stocks the cache with product, user comes along, deposits the appropriate amount of money and takes his product. All on the honor system, of course, because if you can't trust a drug addict who can you trust? :-). Sure, that would work...

Trade equally or better, just like swag. The poor drug stash would quickly be full of expired aspirin tablets.

From the Mukilto Beacon: http://www.mukilteob...week_of_feb__23

Officers responded to the parking lot in front of Mukilteo Physical Therapy regarding several people stopping at the base of the light post. They were leaving something under the steel cover on the base, and a while later someone else would arrive and take or leave something. The caller looked and found an "Altoids" can, but did not look inside. Officers found a "Geo-Cashing" log book used with GPS Treasure Hunt games.

I've got to admit... that is a very novel way of getting involved in Geocaching!

Sounds about as plausible as...

Q: What are you doing?

A: Oh, I'm putting my signature on a piece of paper.

Q: Your signature?

A: Well, it's not really my signature. It's my 'handle'.

Q: So you put a signature, but not your real signature, on this piece of paper?

A: Of course.

Q: You leave the piece of paper here?

A: Oh sure. We put it in a rusty altoids tin and hide it under that lamp post.

Q: Why under this lamp post?

A: It's not just this lamp post, we do it all over the city.

Q: You place your not-real signature on pieces of paper in rusty altoids tins under lamp posts all over the city?

A: Not just altoids tins, we sometimes put our signatures in tupperware.

Q: Tupperware?!

A: Oh, and ammo boxes. They're the best!

Q: Are you on drugs?

biggrin.gif

I DNF'd a few LPC's at first. I would have probably DNF'd more of them, but the 3rd or 4th one I went to had a cracked cover that exposed the cache and revealed the secret.

I, too, DNFed my first several LPCs. Then I arrived at a lamp post in the middle of a parking lot with no other likely hiding spot within 30 yards. An intense examination of the post finally revealed the cache.

After you find two of them, they become boring, but most newbies, myself included, search and search and search, and never think to lift up that cover.

Why is this line always used? Not everyone finds them boring. Any more than everyone finds another ammo can hidden behind a log, covered in wet leaves, exciting. After finding a few LPCs I realized that my "another one of these" thought was influenced by the negitive threads, and further realized I don't mind them. Sure some aren't in the greatest spots (like any other type/style of hide), but I still have fun with them. So please stop telling others whether they will have fun with a cache hide or not.

Edit to add: Cool way to find out about geocaching. I hope to see you at some event soon (I'm a 'few' miles south of you).

Edited by The Jester

Sounds like a good plan to me. Sort of like a drug vending machine. Dealer stocks the cache with product, user comes along, deposits the appropriate amount of money and takes his product.

Hmm. What if the dealer sold the GPS coordinates anonymously on a website? Then the buyer can go out and find the merchandise without ever meeting face to face.

Of course, the buyers without GPS receivers would have to resort to using Google maps or something...

To be honest, I had been thinking about giving Geocaching a try for awhile now, but this incident was the final push :) I tried to locate this same cache, but it did not show up in a search of the area map on Geocaching.com (would be the QFC parking lot on Mukilteo Speedway for those familiar with the area) Maybe the cops took it and the cache is no longer listed?

Jester, I would be interested in meeting other Geochachers in the area. I'll keep an eye out for upcoming events.

Paulr240

Trade equally or better, just like swag. The poor drug stash would quickly be full of expired aspirin tablets.

I forget, what is the fair trade value? Is it two joints for an Oxycontin? One Oxy for a morphine? I always like to trade up.

After you find two of them, they become boring, but most newbies, myself included, search and search and search, and never think to lift up that cover.

Why is this line always used? Not everyone finds them boring. Any more than everyone finds another ammo can hidden behind a log, covered in wet leaves, exciting. After finding a few LPCs I realized that my "another one of these" thought was influenced by the negitive threads, and further realized I don't mind them. Sure some aren't in the greatest spots (like any other type/style of hide), but I still have fun with them. So please stop telling others whether they will have fun with a cache hide or not.

I like LPC's. I try and see just how loud I can get that cover to screech when I lift it. To throw off the muggles, after finding a cache, I walk to another one, and do it again. Since I cache from my work truck, I look like some sort of inspector.

I like LPC's. I try and see just how loud I can get that cover to screech when I lift it. To throw off the muggles, after finding a cache, I walk to another one, and do it again. Since I cache from my work truck, I look like some sort of inspector.

Ever find any archived LPCs that way?

Ever find any archived LPCs that way?

Not so far. However, I will admit to being in a parking lot on other business, and have just peaked under the nearby light to check.

After you find two of them, they become boring

Why is this line always used?

Because, for so many of us, it's the simple truth. The cache described above has reached ultimate lameness by achieving the Trifecta: A container that has been demonstrated over time to be inadequate at protecting its contents, placed in a 500 acre swath of exhaust laden blacktop bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs, hidden in a style that takes, at most, half a dozen brain cells to figure out. Granted, there are probably cachers out there who are pleasantly surprised by their 10th, 20th or even 50th LPC, but since it requires at least some brainpower just to utilize a handheld GPSr, I'd guess the percentage is pretty small.

I had the misfortune to find my first LPC relatively late in my caching career. Up to that point, all the caches I had found brought me to fairly interesting places. This left with with the rather naive belief that this was what caching was all about. Neat containers, of every conceivable size, hidden in kewl spots. (Told you it was naive) Then, one day, hitting the "Find next cache" button caused my GPSr arrow to swing toward a parking lot. I had been to this parking lot many times, and for the life of me, I couldn't think of a single unique feature in it, so my first thought was, maybe I punched in the coords wrong? Then I thought, mabe the owner did find something kewl in here, that I wasn't aware of, so my curiosity was rousing. I followed the arrow till it led me to a lamp post. Even then, I was in denial. I said, "Self, there is no way that any self respecting cacher would want to bring me to a lamp post". Especially, when there was nothing at all distinctive about the lamp post. It was simply one of hundreds in this stinking blacktop eyesore. Still, I thought I better check, rather than simply post my DNF, and sure enough, under the kilt, was a film can. Naturally, being a film can, the log was damp.

For me, the most important factor in selecting a cache spot is "Location". While this demonstrates a considerable amount of personal bias on my part, any location that is surrounded by Momma Nature beats the heck out of a location that is surrounded by SUVs. If, through some twist of the space time continuum, some cacher were to actually leave a quality container under a lamp post, (I've read about such things in these forums, so I know it's possible), then the same cacher left an inadequate container in the woods, I would still favor the cache in the woods, as it brought me to a location I prefer to spend my time at. If that same cacher left quality containers at both locations, the woods cache would rise that much higher in my biased opinion. Naturally, if you prefer exhaust laden parking lots to natural environments, your thoughts on the matter might be completely opposite, and I respect that, however, the question you asked was in regards to why a particular statement kept showing up.

Because, for so many of us, it's the simple truth. The cache described above has reached ultimate lameness by achieving the Trifecta: A container that has been demonstrated over time to be inadequate at protecting its contents, placed in a 500 acre swath of exhaust laden blacktop bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs, hidden in a style that takes, at most, half a dozen brain cells to figure out. Granted, there are probably cachers out there who are pleasantly surprised by their 10th, 20th or even 50th LPC, but since it requires at least some brainpower just to utilize a handheld GPSr, I'd guess the percentage is pretty small.

I had the misfortune to find my first LPC relatively late in my caching career. Up to that point, all the caches I had found brought me to fairly interesting places. This left with with the rather naive belief that this was what caching was all about. Neat containers, of every conceivable size, hidden in kewl spots. (Told you it was naive) Then, one day, hitting the "Find next cache" button caused my GPSr arrow to swing toward a parking lot. I had been to this parking lot many times, and for the life of me, I couldn't think of a single unique feature in it, so my first thought was, maybe I punched in the coords wrong? Then I thought, mabe the owner did find something kewl in here, that I wasn't aware of, so my curiosity was rousing. I followed the arrow till it led me to a lamp post. Even then, I was in denial. I said, "Self, there is no way that any self respecting cacher would want to bring me to a lamp post". Especially, when there was nothing at all distinctive about the lamp post. It was simply one of hundreds in this stinking blacktop eyesore. Still, I thought I better check, rather than simply post my DNF, and sure enough, under the kilt, was a film can. Naturally, being a film can, the log was damp.

For me, the most important factor in selecting a cache spot is "Location". While this demonstrates a considerable amount of personal bias on my part, any location that is surrounded by Momma Nature beats the heck out of a location that is surrounded by SUVs. If, through some twist of the space time continuum, some cacher were to actually leave a quality container under a lamp post, (I've read about such things in these forums, so I know it's possible), then the same cacher left an inadequate container in the woods, I would still favor the cache in the woods, as it brought me to a location I prefer to spend my time at. If that same cacher left quality containers at both locations, the woods cache would rise that much higher in my biased opinion. Naturally, if you prefer exhaust laden parking lots to natural environments, your thoughts on the matter might be completely opposite, and I respect that, however, the question you asked was in regards to why a particular statement kept showing up.

Sometimes what at first by map appears to be an LPC, turns out to be different. Here is a recent find. GC1RAD1 It would appear to be an LPC, but there is no cover. I enjoyed lunch at the small, unknown to me, local 'pie' establishment.

I know a cacher who found logs from kids who used their cache to hide their drugs. I saw a similar story in a recently revived thread about muggle logs...see...(searching)...here (scroll down to SkinGuy's log)

I had the misfortune to find my first LPC relatively late in my caching career.

Ours was pretty late, too -- we started in 2007, and I don't think we had any LPC finds until summer 2009 when we moved to Virginia. Most European lamps don't have skirts.

<snip>

placed in a 500 acre swath of exhaust laden blacktop bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs,

And another stereotype raises it's head... Not all LPCs are so placed - no matter how often you state this in these forums - I've found them on a wooded path with the nearest parking lot out of sight, on a path around a small pond with Mt Rainier looming in the background (on nice days you can see it, but in the Pacific NorthWet...), on a path along Lake Washington 1/4 mile from any parking and other non-parking lot locations (and most times the log is dry). I'm sorry you haven't but that isn't a reason to dogmaticaly state every LPC is a lame location.

We'll, I've found packs of cigarettes while looking for caches. So, not totally unrealistic. :D

<snip>

placed in a 500 acre swath of exhaust laden blacktop bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs,

And another stereotype raises it's head... Not all LPCs are so placed - no matter how often you state this in these forums - I've found them on a wooded path with the nearest parking lot out of sight, on a path around a small pond with Mt Rainier looming in the background (on nice days you can see it, but in the Pacific NorthWet...), on a path along Lake Washington 1/4 mile from any parking and other non-parking lot locations (and most times the log is dry). I'm sorry you haven't but that isn't a reason to dogmaticaly state every LPC is a lame location.

Stereotypes exist for one reason... because they represent what is most common. Sure, there are exceptions. But those are extremely rare, and even then, generally not necessary. Your examples... were those the only places to hide a cache? I seriously doubt it.

LPCs (the stereotype) require zero thought. Someone else years ago did the thinking for them. Well, sometimes it seems the hider may give some thought to which lamp post might be the least visible, but other times the opposite seems to be true.

LPCs (the stereotype) require zero thought. Someone else years ago did the thinking for them. Well, sometimes it seems the hider may give some thought to which lamp post might be the least visible, but other times the opposite seems to be true.

I'll disagree. Just because the GPSr is pointing toward a lamppost doesn't mean it's a stereotypical LPC. And for someone unfamailer with the stereotypical hide, it's quite devious. And there are so many variations that are done (my favorite was a bison in a piece of bee hive, nobody wanted to touch/mess with it).

And how much thinking goes into tossing a ammo can/L&L/tupperware in a stump/under a log/behind a tree? Nothing special, no view, just another no-thought hide at some random location. Someone did all the thinking for those hides years ago also.

I'm sorry, I just dislike people bashing any type of cache hide because they don't like it. And hammering at it post after post - CR and his "500 acre...SUV", others chanting "lame, lame, lame" - all trying to get everyone else to agree/change perspective. As I said above I had to decide to ignore the chanting and found I enjoy all the styles of caches - and if I find one I don't like, I'll ignore it not harp on it anytime someone mention it.

To be honest, I had been thinking about giving Geocaching a try for awhile now, but this incident was the final push :) I tried to locate this same cache, but it did not show up in a search of the area map on Geocaching.com (would be the QFC parking lot on Mukilteo Speedway for those familiar with the area) Maybe the cops took it and the cache is no longer listed?

Jester, I would be interested in meeting other Geochachers in the area. I'll keep an eye out for upcoming events.

Paulr240

I believe the cache you're looking for is Not-so-Famous Daves by Johnny Cache 79. It was last found on February 26, which is after the date of the

"suspicious activity." I'm not surprised that it attracted the attention of Mukilteo's LEOs--that's something the CO himself is pretty famous for! He has a lot of other caches in the Mukilteo area, so you should be finding some of them soon.

A good way to meet local cachers might be to attend one of the CITO events scheduled for next month, Pilchuck Paths (hosted my me) on April 9 or This CITO's a Beach (hosted by Johnny Cache 79) on April 16.

Welcome to geocaching!

I'll disagree. Just because the GPSr is pointing toward a lamppost doesn't mean it's a stereotypical LPC. And for someone unfamailer with the stereotypical hide, it's quite devious. And there are so many variations that are done (my favorite was a bison in a piece of bee hive, nobody wanted to touch/mess with it).

And how much thinking goes into tossing a ammo can/L&L/tupperware in a stump/under a log/behind a tree? Nothing special, no view, just another no-thought hide at some random location. Someone did all the thinking for those hides years ago also.

I'm sorry, I just dislike people bashing any type of cache hide because they don't like it. And hammering at it post after post - CR and his "500 acre...SUV", others chanting "lame, lame, lame" - all trying to get everyone else to agree/change perspective. As I said above I had to decide to ignore the chanting and found I enjoy all the styles of caches - and if I find one I don't like, I'll ignore it not harp on it anytime someone mention it.

Of COURSE it doesn't mean that it is a stereotypical LPC. That's what I said, isn't it? That there are exceptions? I had one myself for a short time. It was under the lamp skirt, and it was not a nano, but it had quite a few DNF's anyway. You probably haven't seen one like it. Still, I archived it shortly afterward because I still didn't like the idea of a geocaching in a parking lot. Lame, no matter how clever the idea might have been.

And yup... ammo cans, L&L's, and any other type of hide can also be "lame". Don't worry... I am a devout clever cache defender, no matter what the size. But a stereotype LPC is a film can or pill bottle stuck under the lift-up cover on a parking lot streetlight. Any attempt to deny that is ludicrous, and that stereotype is what I was referring to.... not the extremely rare exception. Power to the exceptions!!!

In all fairness, I only said that they were boring after the second one. I should have been clearer and said that I think they are boring after the second one. I, in no way was trying to tell others what or where to hide. The parking lot LPC serves a purpose as it allows the less mobile to participate. Locally, we have a couple that is in the 90s and 80s. They are out almost every day and have over 5000 finds. I wouldn't dream of denying them their LPCs or other urban micro caches.

If an LPC brought me to a great POI, I would thank the owner. One in the middle of WalMart's parking lot, well, I just don't get that excited about it.

I'll take 5 acres or prairie/forest/grassland/hills/river bottom over 5 acres of blacktop and suvs any day of the week. Even if the cache is an altoids tin hidden under a lampost skirt that somebody drug out to the middle of nowhere.

<snip>

Why, oh why, would anyone stick a film can under a lamp skirt in one of those nice locations? Isn't there room for a small lock and lock under the bushes somewhere nearby? And if there is room for a cache that will hold the occasional travel bug and a real log book, why would anyone choose to leave a log-only micro right next to the path?

Is there any record of someone being electrocuted at an LPC due to a ground short in the wiring?

You can't get to the wiring of a lamp post by lifting the skirt. If the wiring shorts to the actual lamp post, it's going to either start a fire or trip a circuit breaker. No one is going to get electrocuted at a typical LPC.

The chances of being electrocuted by such a short are the same as the chances of being electrocuted if your shopping cart touches the lamp post... so small as to be practically nonexistent.

It's worked well in the past.

seaga-hf3000-cigarette-vending-machine.jpg

Edited by sbell111

Because, for so many of us, it's the simple truth. The cache described above has reached ultimate lameness by achieving the Trifecta: A container that has been demonstrated over time to be inadequate at protecting its contents,

Still, LPCs are almost always dry. Strange.

If your area is so 'exhaust laden' perhaps you should move someplace less smoggy. I've not had that problem. We also drive SUVs, so that's not an issue for us, either.

I get that you are really trying to use some kind of wit to reinforce that these locations aren't visually awesome and therefore shouldn't contain a geocache. Since I don't require senic vistas every time that I take ten seconds to log a P&G. This is also not an issue for me. Instead, caches that are placed right where I need to go anyway are a huge bonus.

hidden in a style that takes, at most, half a dozen brain cells to figure out.

I don't require difficult-to-find caches in order to have fun playing this game. In fact, as difficulty level increases, my enjoyment tends to decrease. Luckily, I can use the ratings to maximize my fun.

Everyone has different tastes regarding caching experiences and unfortunately with freedom of speech the forum gets clogged with opinions which raise debates day in and day out. This never gets old :(

I think the key thing to remember is that not every cache container/hide/location/experience is for EVERY cacher. Some you will like, some you won't. At the end of a long day I hope the positives far out weigh the negatives. Cache on!

I am new to this website and to geocaching! I after reading all this, i find it amusing to say the least. There will always be difference of opinion in every form of life.

A find is a find no matter how u look at. You choose which cache to explore after all. No one is obligated to investigate a cache.

I am excited about all of this, and I thinl bringing a negative outlook just ruins the experience.

<snip>

Agree there can be exceptions but the original description fits the vast majority. Maybe using LPLLPC would be more specific than LPC.

Paulr240

I believe the cache you're looking for is Not-so-Famous Daves by Johnny Cache 79. It was last found on February 26, which is after the date of the

"suspicious activity." I'm not surprised that it attracted the attention of Mukilteo's LEOs--that's something the CO himself is pretty famous for! He has a lot of other caches in the Mukilteo area, so you should be finding some of them soon.

A good way to meet local cachers might be to attend one of the CITO events scheduled for next month, Pilchuck Paths (hosted my me) on April 9 or This CITO's a Beach (hosted by Johnny Cache 79) on April 16.

Welcome to geocaching!

GreviouvsAngle, Thanks for the reply and the welcome (i see my post has gone a bit off-topic :( ) Also, thanks for the heads-up on the upcoming CITO events. I look forward to them.

PaulR240

No one is obligated to investigate a cache.

That's true. I took ownership of my naivete from the beginning, admitting right from the start that my disappointment was a direct result of my unrealistic entitlements. Prior to finding that stinker, I actually believed that caches were supposed to bring me to interesting places. This was clearly a failure on my part, as the reality did not match my perceptions. The cache was just another crappy container at an uninspired location, and is therefor without fault. Any fault in that venture must lie squarely on my shoulders. Thankfully, even though I am oft referred to as being dumber than a bag of hammers, I eventually learned how to maximize my pleasure by utilizing sbell11's "Easy-Peasy" method of lame cache avoidance. While his system is not 100% perfect, it certainly helps me avoid those caches which I don't care for.

There are folks who are quite simply delighted at the prospect of dodging soccer mom driven SUVs in exhaust laden parking lots, and to them, I say, "Go for it!". I would never step in the way of someone finding the types of caches they enjoy. One axiom I see a lot is, "If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong". I couldn't agree with this more. There is room in this game for every taste, be it an ammo can next to a waterfall or a soggy log film can in a lamp post kilt, or everything in between. Find the caches you enjoy, avoid the ones you don't.

However, since this is a forum where folks are encouraged to post their opinions, I will continue to post mine.

I was bored by my first LPC, and I've yet to see one since then that didn't suck.

Could such a cache exist? Of course! I just haven't seen it yet.

LPCs (the stereotype) require zero thought. Someone else years ago did the thinking for them.
Sort of like an ammo box hidden under a pile of sticks next to a tree?

Your strawman will be ignored. You really need to get out and cache some more, Steve.

Cache hiding styles that are effective are reused. By effective I mean that the cache will not be found accidentally by muggles but that a geocacher can still find the cache.

LPC have been shown to be effective against muggles even in crowded parking lots. Ammo boxes under a pile of sticks in a remote area are also effective. These styles get copied often because they are effective.

That said, clever camouflage that allows a cache to be hidden in plain sight is also effective. Some of these hides are repeated over and over again as well. Some of the clever hides you see use containers and camoflage that require special skill to fabricate. Not every geocacher hider has these skills, so these are not seen as often.

Nano caches are also effective because they are so small as to be overlooked by muggles (and often can be made to look like something that belongs there). They are used a lot because they are effective - and get a lot of complaints in these forums as well.

As far as stereotypes. I don't view any hiding style as stereotypical. There are the effective styles that get copied a lot, and the ineffective styles that will likely end up being muggled. I can appreciate a cache that requires skill to create, and I certainly can appreciate when someone gets creative and tries something new (at close to 7000 finds this is much rarer than in the past). But I also realize that most geocache hiders don't have these skills.

I know that some cachers try to make up for less creative hiding styles by placing caches in locations that are more interesting to them. I know that I do this. However, it is also clear that what is interesting to me is not interesting to everyone. That is why I smile when Clan Riffster complains of caches "placed in a 500 acre swath of exhaust laden blacktop bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs". I would venture a guess that these locations appeal to more people than caches where you "wade nipple deep into an alligator infested swamp".

I have found so many variations on LPCs that I can't agree that the exceptions to the stereotype are rare. There are variations on the container, how it is placed under the lamp post, decoys, lamp post locations, information on the cache page about the history of the location, etc. Everytime I find an LPC I try to view it as a new experience. While I may be disappointed from time to time that there isn't a clever container or something special about the location, I am happy that there was a cache to find. Since I don't cache in Lake Wobegon, I don't expect every cache to be above average.

I was bored by my first LPC, and I've yet to see one since then that didn't suck.

Could such a cache exist? Of course! I just haven't seen it yet.

If you ever come to Ithaca I'll show you one. This particular lamp post is on a foot bridge about 150 feet above a scenic gorge.

I'm not sure how many LPCs I've actually found but the one on the foot bridge is the only one I've found that was in an memorable location.

LPCs (the stereotype) require zero thought. Someone else years ago did the thinking for them.

Your strawman will be ignored. You really need to get out and cache some more, Steve.

Not a strawman, at all. Your position was that LPCs are bad because they don't require any thought as the concept was perfected years ago. I frankly don't see how the same about ammo cans under a pile of sticks. After all, nothing has been improved on that hide style since the very first one that I found a decade ago.

Not a strawman, at all. Your position was that LPCs are bad because they don't require any thought as the concept was perfected years ago. I frankly don't see how the same about ammo cans under a pile of sticks. After all, nothing has been improved on that hide style since the very first one that I found a decade ago.

That is exactly why it is a strawman. I never said, or even remotely implied that there was inately more thought put into an ammo can under sticks.

That is exactly why it is a strawman. I never said, or even remotely implied that there was inately more thought put into an ammo can under sticks.

So are you arguing that both of these hide styles are equally lame? Otherwise, I don't see how your argument that LPCs are bad simply because the hide style is frequently copied is a very compelling argument. Edited by sbell111

So are you arguing that both of these hide styles are equally lame? Otherwise, I don't see how your argument that LPCs are bad simply because the hide style is frequently copied is a very compelling argument.