Emergency Geocache Repair Kit

RAYD.D.

I carry O-rings of the right size for the widely used pill tubes and matchsafes.

I'm not interested in encouraging cache owners to use crappy containers by keeping the log dry with new baggies or water resistant logs, or in using tiny containers by replacing full logs for them. When the sport was younger, the idea of helping other cache owners appealed to me, now I think it's largely a mistake.

People who place caches should be prepared to maintain them - that so many expect to rely on the community drives the use of poor containers, and a lot of them.

I am a bit of a cheater on this one lol......I carry baggies, old pill bottles and 35 ml canisters, heavy duty velco, small magnets, camo tape, black duct tape, zip ties, scissors, various sized replacement logs, pens/markers, duco cement or goop glue, memo books for bigger cache logs, .....etc. There is an awesome mentor, Andy "Head Hard Hat" Smith that has several Geocaching tutorials on his site: GeoSnippets.com. he teaches you the basics on how to build a E.G.R.K...... I do not mind fixing/replacing a cache especially if its a highly travelled cache but I do contact the owner to let him know so he can perhaps decide on a different type of container all together. Hope this helped:)....oh and Prevlar waterproof paper for logs is great!

I actually carry a pretty robust repair kit. It sounds like a lot but it all slides into a mesh pouch that's probably 5x 7 inches and weighs 6 ounces maybe:

• About 25 feet of duct tape
  • A couple each of gallon, quart, sandwich, and snack size baggies
  • Probably 5-10 each of 1x2 inch, 2x2 inch, and 2x4 inch baggies for logs
  • Prepared logs--I carry 2-3 each of 1x2, 2x2 and 2x4 inch baggies with printed, folded logs already inside them that I can just drop and go
  • A nano - I have found a couple of nanos that had lost magnets and needed them
  • 2-3 nano log scolls
  • About 12 various o-rings, with the common sizes for nanos and various bisons.
  • A couple of short pencils
  • About 6 paper towel sheets
  • A pouch of cleaning wipes (a little 10-pack you buy in stores will last a couple of months)
  • An orange match tube that I will drop in a cache the gets very wet and needs a true waterproof log container inside the cache
  • A couple of small replacement magnets

If I am going to trash out moldy, mildewy items, or items that have been burned, like in a grass fire, I double bag them before they go in my pack, the mold and mildew smell will escape a single bag layer. I have thought about maybe carrying armor-all wipes too, to freshen up the rubber gaskets on ammo cans.

Edited by Sky King 36

I am a bit of a cheater on this one lol......I carry baggies, old pill bottles and 35 ml canisters, heavy duty velco, small magnets, camo tape, black duct tape, zip ties, scissors, various sized replacement logs, pens/markers, duco cement or goop glue, memo books for bigger cache logs, .....etc. There is an awesome mentor, Andy "Head Hard Hat" Smith that has several Geocaching tutorials on his site: GeoSnippets.com. he teaches you the basics on how to build a E.G.R.K...... I do not mind fixing/replacing a cache especially if its a highly travelled cache but I do contact the owner to let him know so he can perhaps decide on a different type of container all together. Hope this helped:)....oh and Prevlar waterproof paper for logs is great!

I hope that you don't ever replace a cache without asking the owners permission first. Never replace a cache because you can't find it and then claim it as found. This happened to me this past weekend and i was not happy about it. If you don't find it, you don't find it. Please give the owner the opportunity to take care of it himself and log the cache as dnf. I know some go a long time with dnf and they seemed to be abandoned but it is not up to anyone but the owner to replace it unless you aske them first.

I'm not interested in encouraging cache owners to use crappy containers by keeping the log dry with new baggies or water resistant logs, or in using tiny containers by replacing full logs for them. When the sport was younger, the idea of helping other cache owners appealed to me, now I think it's largely a mistake.

People who place caches should be prepared to maintain them - that so many expect to rely on the community drives the use of poor containers, and a lot of them.

I agree in principle, but, in practice... The people for whom I am doing a favor by maintaining a cache are the next finders, not the hider. I do agree that maintenance is a hider responsibility, and that a lot of hiders shirk that responsibility. I also agree that container quality is quite often totally inappropriate for the hide environment. But, it is what it is. If a lazy irresponsible hider wants to put a crappy cache out and never maintain it, that cacher's behavior is not affected in any way by my decision to, or not to, do maintenance. He or she won't care one bit if I just put a broken, moldy cache back when I am done. In fact, they'll probably never see the cache again, ever. The next finder, however, will.

I agree in principle, but, in practice... The people for whom I am doing a favor by maintaining a cache are the next finders, not the hider.

If the CO isn't going to maintain the cache (and I realize that is a pretty big if), then you'd do subsequent finders a bigger favor by posting an NA.

I carry tape, O-rings, paper towels, a few different log types, and a wide variety of zip-locks. I have no interest at all in replacing a container, but I hate finding an unsignable log enough that I wouldn't want it to happen to the next finders.

I try my best to leave the old logs in the cache, as I have this pie-in-the-sky belief that hiders want to keep all their old logs. I think only once have I replaced a trashed log and found there was no room to leave the old one. I contacted the owner to ask if they wanted the original, offering to deliver it wherever they wanted it, but never got a response.

If the CO isn't going to maintain the cache (and I realize that is a pretty big if), then you'd do subsequent finders a bigger favor by posting an NA.

They're not mutually exclusive. I can perform maintenance to benefit the next cacher AND post a NM or NA as appropriate to benefit the community. In the two states where I cache, an abandoned cache pretty much has to contain smallpox to get archived, simply marking it NM or NA is merely the start of a process that typically takes 6 months to a year to complete... and there will often be many visits in the mean time.

Edited by Sky King 36

I should point out to another thought...

I do some serious wilderness caching when I get a chance, and sometimes I visit a cache that takes 3-4 hours of rigorous hiking, climbing, or wading to get to, and may only be visited once or twice a year... In these circles, we all expect that we'll look out for each other's caches, they're simply too hard to get to just to replace an o-ring. Being willing to maintain urban caches that are hidden 6 blocks from a lazy caher's home encourages laziness. But being willing to perform maintenance on a cache deep in the badlands encourages people to place caches in places that even they can't get back to easily, and I'm OK with that.

I do some serious wilderness caching when I get a chance, and sometimes I visit a cache that takes 3-4 hours of rigorous hiking, climbing, or wading to get to, and may only be visited once or twice a year... In these circles, we all expect that we'll look out for each other's caches, they're simply too hard to get to just to replace an o-ring. Being willing to maintain urban caches that are hidden 6 blocks from a lazy caher's home encourages laziness. But being willing to perform maintenance on a cache deep in the badlands encourages people to place caches in places that even they can't get back to easily, and I'm OK with that.

+1

I agree there is a difference between a wilderness cache and an urban cache. I have a cache that is less than a mile from my home. I would never expect anyone to fix or repair it in anyway. If I had one that was 10 miles of hiking, I'd love anyone who helped me maintain that cache. The problem is the people who don't read these forums are the people who don't pay attention to guidelines and don't care to.

When the sport was younger, the idea of helping other cache owners appealed to me, now I think it's largely a mistake.

Wow. A mouthful. My perception that caching has gotten less friendly may not be wishful thinking, after all.

I still do repairs on caches when I can and especially when I like the cache's location. I think of good caches as belonging to the community.

• plastic bags, various sizes
  • 3 x 5" spiral notebook
  • pens
  • pencils
  • pencil sharpeners
  • stash notes
  • black permanent markers, wide and fine point

I sometimes have a larger (gallon-size) freezer bag in the car, or will bring a rag if I know that the cache is wet inside. I used to carry micro logs, but it is hard to predict which size you might need.

I hope that you don't ever replace a cache without asking the owners permission first. Never replace a cache because you can't find it and then claim it as found. This happened to me this past weekend and i was not happy about it. If you don't find it, you don't find it. Please give the owner the opportunity to take care of it himself and log the cache as dnf. I know some go a long time with dnf and they seemed to be abandoned but it is not up to anyone but the owner to replace it unless you aske them first.

Oh no no, If I happen to find a badly damaged or evidence of a missing cache I do contact owner and offer a replacement along with a photo of that replacement if granted. This has happened on 2 different occasions for me and the CO's were very happy someone would take the time and TLC to care for their cache....even if I had to go back a week or so later after permission. :D

Funny and kind of off topic but is it me or does anyone else fear of getting pulled over and searched only to have the cops go through a back pack of empty pill bottles, tiny baggies, rolls of duct tape and zip ties, etc? I can only imagine! Hopefully they know of the sport, Geocaching cuz that would make one heck of an explanation! LOL :laughing:

Funny and kind of off topic but is it me or does anyone else fear of getting pulled over and searched only to have the cops go through a back pack of empty pill bottles, tiny baggies, rolls of duct tape and zip ties, etc? I can only imagine! Hopefully they know of the sport, Geocaching cuz that would make one heck of an explanation! LOL :laughing:

I think anyone who caches long enough is going to encounter this. Maybe not so much a 'search', but I've had cops pull up as I was at GZ and then ask me about my geo-bag and what was in it.

You think that's bad? Benchmarkers drive around with a bag of white powder, which they smear on benchmarks to make the engravings easily visible. Imagine having to explain that to a cop.

No, but I do worry that people might notice the baggie full of cheap kids toys (swag) I carry in my backpack. Kinda hard to explain that with no other evidence of children with me.

For possible clean-up/repair, I carry paper towels, baggies, log sheet of different sizes, pens and pencils.

When the sport was younger, the idea of helping other cache owners appealed to me, now I think it's largely a mistake.

Wow. A mouthful. My perception that caching has gotten less friendly may not be wishful thinking, after all.

I still do repairs on caches when I can and especially when I like the cache's location. I think of good caches as belonging to the community.

I agree that the GC community has gotten a lot less friendly recently.

But on the current subject, we carry some logs, and that is it. If it does need anything more then a new log page, it gets a NM guaranteed, and even if we put in a new page, it still gets the NM.

You think that's bad? Benchmarkers drive around with a bag of white powder, which they smear on benchmarks to make the engravings easily visible. Imagine having to explain that to a cop.

Heck, just carry cocaine and use that as the powder, and kill two birds with one stone!

:laughing: Ok THAT deserved a laugh!

I have had cops stop and ask me what Im doing, especially if Im snooping behind buildings but never had any oppose to it or pat me down.