Finding Money in caches

Makes more sense to me than leaving a dirty golf ball or broken golf tee or expired ski-lift tickets.

Veering off-topic, but waddup wif dat??? Man, some of the crap I have found in caches... Last year I found someone's used boarding passes from an airline flight, with their full names on them.

That is a veer that I have been down a number of times here. Sooner or later somebody will insist that they collect old bottle caps or love to use dirty, beat up old golf balls for practice.

But I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I used to cache with a guy who would twenty dollar bills. I always thought about how hard it would be for people to trade even.

Foreign currency? Unless you are visiting the country within the next six months assume 20 percent trade value. Don't ever leave money expecting full trade value.

Where's George bills? Not worth more than one dollar.

Other than the novelty of a coin a bill, I'm not really interested in making a profit.

Most caches that I come across nowadays are filled with junk,plastic figurines,old tickets,etc. I`d be glad to find money anyday! I really don`t cache for swag anyway,it`s more the challenge of just finding the cache. If Bill Gates were to place a cache and put $10,000 in it,well that would be a different story!!

Most caches that I come across nowadays are filled with junk,plastic figurines,old tickets,etc. I`d be glad to find money anyday! I really don`t cache for swag anyway,it`s more the challenge of just finding the cache. If Bill Gates were to place a cache and put $10,000 in it,well that would be a different story!!

I doubt Bill Gates would leave money in his own cache 'cause it would probably be a "Micro". hahaha Get it??/ (yeah its late, and I had an exhausting day)

I will sometimes trade old coins for swag if I need to (eg. The light on my bike is dead and there is a battery that fits...) other than that TNLNSL.

One question from across the pond... what is 'Where's George'? There is a book over here called 'Where's Wally' where you have to find a guy in a stripey top in a big picture...

One question from across the pond... what is 'Where's George'? There is a book over here called 'Where's Wally' where you have to find a guy in a stripey top in a big picture...

"Where's George" is where you stamp instructions on a $1 (George Washington) or higher denomination bill, and ask the finder to enter information about where they come across it, so that people can track its movement, all using the note's serial number.

The website is http://www.wheresgeorge.com/

Here are some examples of custom rubber stamps for Where's George. Not endorsing the merchant, they're the first one to come up on Google for me.

Edited by Chrysalides
That is a veer that I have been down a number of times here. Sooner or later somebody will insist that they collect old bottle caps or love to use dirty, beat up old golf balls for practice.

What ever happened to the Uber Genius dragon?

And in an attempt to stay on topic, I don't particularly care one way or another if people leave money in a cache, as long as they trade even or up. Like BuckeyeClan said, it's no different from when someone leaves an item I'm not interested in.

I like finding Where's George bills in caches. I always do an even swap.

Just a simple FYI, but the founder of Where'sGeorge is not thrilled by the idea of where's George bills being dropped into geocaches. (Citation)

Oh. I didn't know much about this Where'sGeorge thing, beyond a very basic understanding of it. Seems like it's against their rules to use these Where'sGeorge bills as geocaching travel bugs. The use of these bills in geocaching goes against the basic premise of them..."to track the natural and geographic circulation of currency."

I haven't looked...does Groundspeak discourage the use of Where'sGeorge bills as TB's in their Travel Bug sections?

2 dollar bills and gold dollar coins are neat. :)

I handle a fair amount of cash at work, so I tend to collect items that aren't being minted/printed any longer to leave in worthy caches. I like to think that a family with young kids enjoy finding the occasional $2 bill, SBA or Sacajawea $ or Kennedy $.50 piece that I will leave behind. But I rarely consider this trade swag as there isn't anything in the cache I wish to take with me.

Wheresgeorge bills were very popular in this area in the early years of geocaching. I'd find a few caches and have enough cash to buy lunch at the end of the day.

I see nothing wrong with money in caches. Collectible or foreign money is way cool. And what's it to me if someone drops in a buck or two.

In fact when I went to California some years back I didn't want to carry a swag bag on the plane with me so I registered 50 singles on Wheresgeorge and if saw something I wanted to trade for I'd leave a George or two or three depending on my perceived value of the item.

I think they fell out of favor after Hank? came into the forums bashing geocaching and changing his website to ignore WG$ that were circulated through caches. He claimed it disrupted the normal flow of the currency. :rolleyes: I quit posting the ones that came through my registers after that too.

Most of the time we are just out for the hunt and don't take along the bag of swag for trades. On one occassion we were on a road trip and stopped at an exit to seek a nearby cache. A trinket caught our eye as something we really wanted, with nothing to trade we didn't want to 'steal' the item and thought the fair thing to leave was cash. At least someone later could trade for it or the CO could use it for restocking swag.

At least once a year, I get a roll of gold presidential dollars ($25) and put 1 or sometimes 2 in good caches that I find. I usually TNSL on these caches. I used to put out some foreign coins including Canadian dollars. Best FTF prize I got was a $10 bill with "you earned it" written on it. It took over 2 hours to hike to the top of that mountain. I put in 2 dollar coins for the next finders.

We have a cache called International Monetary Fund and all the schwag is foreign coins. I stocked it with about 20 various coins from about 10 countries I have visited on business trips. Reaction seems pretty positive and people have been adding and taking foreign coins quite a bit.

I have no issue dropping a quarter in a cache - my kids LOVE finding money in caches and I hope the coins I drop make other kids just as happy.

Edited by caccbag

I think what happens is they see some swag in the cache that they want and they don't have anything else to trade, so they leave money.

I've done this before once or twice. I don't see putting money in a cache as tacky. With how bad trading and swag is now, seeing anything thats not completely worthless in a cache is a welcome sight.

I can see how someone would leave money, in order to fulfill the "trade up or trade even" philosophy.

Makes more sense to me than leaving a dirty golf ball or broken golf tee or expired ski-lift tickets.

Lots of folks around here leave a loonie or twoonie for a "FTF prize".

That is called "buying", not "trading". I class it right there with the other things you mentioned. Coins (aside from special ones) in a cache are crass.

No .. it's called "trading" money for an item. JC_run.gif