Once Groundspeak brings back virtuals, what are you going to "hide"?

Coldgears

I have hidden several multi/mystery caches with virtual elements where I feel comfortable with having a container at the end, namely in forest and mountain areas. In the case of my last cache, however, having to hide a container was a real burden to me and I hate the hideout myself as the whole area is not offering any spot where I enjoy searching for a cache.

How close is the final to the last position for acquiring the final coords?

I understand that I don't know the area and it is possible that there just isn't a good location but with 12.5 square miles to work with it strikes me as unlikely.

It is within 500 m since a larger distance would have led to complaints by most visitors. 8 years ago I could have hidden the cache in some green area 2km or more from the key area which is going to be shown by the cache, but nowadays that does not work out any longer. So I had to choose a compromise hideout in an area which is urban and where there always will exist the typical muggle issues. In such areas I would prefer to set up virtual caches. I am not expecting however that the new concept of virtual caches will cover what I have in mind.

Cezanne

Bummer, the bonus to today's caching is also the drawback.

Aww yea the crap I can virtualize! I'll start with the bush in front of my friend's house. He'll surely enjoy watching cachers count the number of leaves on it to report to me (and coming out to distract them and make them lose count just when they're almost finished.)

• The spot at Vancouver Airport where Robert Dziekanski was publicly "executed" by the RCMP (while being filmed!)

Oooh I wish I thought of that one!

So much for geocaching being a lighthearted fun.

I don't have a problem with them coming back. I just don't want to see people placing a virtual on every street corner.

:lol:

I could see dozens of street corner verts in Michigan.

I heard we are going to have the first annual axle breaking trailing arm snapping pothole festival this year. OK so most of them aren't at street corners but a lot are near utility poles.

I also know of a few roundabout groupings where you are just as likely to see an accident as not. I guess technically no corners but it is a junction.

Then you have the "stupid drunken teen" crashed and died here memorials. I have come to the conclusion long ago that if teens didn't need to navigate turns then less would die in automotive crashes.

I could also see a series dedicated to Nain Rouge sightings in Detroit, pretty much only street corners and utility poles. I.E. I was at this street corner when I saw it skitter down that utility pole.

Every mile marker the length of the I90. Or better yet every tenth mile reflector. Just show your GPS track for proof. The first ever high speed power trail.

Edited by GOF and Bacall

I don't have a problem with them coming back. I just don't want to see people placing a virtual on every street corner.

I heard we are going to have the first annual axle breaking trailing arm snapping pothole festival this year. OK so most of them aren't at street corners but a lot are near utility poles.

I also know of a few roundabout groupings where you are just as likely to see an accident as not. I guess technically no corners but it is a junction.

Then you have the "stupid drunken teen" crashed and died here memorials. I have come to the conclusion long ago that if teens didn't need to navigate turns then less would die in automotive crashes.

I could also see a series dedicated to Nain Rouge sightings in Detroit, pretty much only street corners and utility poles. I.E. I was at this street corner when I saw it skitter down that utility pole.

Every mile marker the length of the I90. Or better yet every tenth mile reflector. Just shoe your GPS track for proof. The first ever high speed power trail.

There are dirt roads that run for hundreds of miles. How about every washboard ridge. You could use a pedometer and your track line to show you hit every one.

Every mile marker the length of the I90. Or better yet every tenth mile reflector. Just shoe your GPS track for proof. The first ever high speed power trail.

There are dirt roads that run for hundreds of miles. How about every washboard ridge. You could use a pedometer and your track line to show you hit every one.

The I90 goes from coast to coast and much of it is 65 MPH. At about 3100 miles in length that would be some big number days for those who keep track of such things.

The I90 goes from coast to coast and much of it is 65 MPH. At about 3100 miles in length that would be some big number days for those who keep track of such things.

One must keep in mind the the speed limit is just the SUGGESTED speed. Once you get out west, and you can see miles ahead in a straight line, that can be increased considerably, thus making for even bigger number days :yikes:

One must keep in mind the the speed limit is just the SUGGESTED speed. Once you get out west, and you can see miles ahead in a straight line, that can be increased considerably, thus making for even bigger number days :yikes:

Yes. But between road work and rush hour traffic near the cities 48 hours would be a good trick. But if you could do it in 48 hours it should be about 31,000 finds. That's 15,500 per day. Subasonic would trip over his feet to be first to have at it.

Suggested speed? Good luck explaining that to the cop who pulls you over for exceeding the speed LIMIT (it's not a suggestion!). :blink:

I love finding virtuals. And at one point in time, I was excited when I heard they might return. But then after several months of circumspect thought, I realized that I loved virtuals because they were rare and no longer allowed to be published. So, I hereby, in public, recant my statement that said I want virtuals back. New virtuals should not be allowed. Or, if they're allowed, the review process should be at least as difficult, or even more difficult to publish, than earthcaches are now. How that happens? I have no idea.

Suggested speed? Good luck explaining that to the cop who pulls you over for exceeding the speed LIMIT (it's not a suggestion!). :blink:

Sure it's just a suggestion. It is suggested you not exceed the posted limit unless you are prepared to pay the fine.

I love finding virtuals. And at one point in time, I was excited when I heard they might return. But then after several months of circumspect thought, I realized that I loved virtuals because they were rare and no longer allowed to be published. So, I hereby, in public, recant my statement that said I want virtuals back. New virtuals should not be allowed. Or, if they're allowed, the review process should be at least as difficult, or even more difficult to publish, than earthcaches are now. How that happens? I have no idea.

I have enjoyed most of the existing virtuals that I've found. A couple of days ago I had some meetings at the World Bank in Washington DC. I left my hotel early and took the metro to a stop that was located near a virtual and a traditional. I tried to get the traditional and based on the hint I am pretty sure I know exactly where it was but there was a homeless person that seemed to be angry at the world (and was very vocal about it) sitting about 20' from GZ so I went for the virtual. After finding the virt I went back to the traditional and there was a police van about 25' from GZ and the type of hide almost certainly would have attracted their attention if I had tried to retrieve the container. I gave up on it and started walking toward the World Bank which brought me past three other virtual caches. At one close to the whitehouse I got the evil eye from a homeland security guy but I took a photo of the object (a requirement for logging the cache) and went on my way.

If it wasn't for virtuals I would not have been able to add the District of Columbia to me list of "States" in which I have logged a find on a cache (now up to 22).

I can't see this site not staying competive in the geocache listing service business. :rolleyes:

I doubt this site needs to have virtuals to stay competitive as a geocaching site. Waymarking, OTOH, could be in real trouble if virtuals takeoff on one of the alternative sites. :ph34r:

I would like to see the new GC virtuals listed on the Waymarking site along with Benchmark Hunting. I like the Waymarking site better than this one. Photos upload better, the site is not slow on weekends, it's easy to use, ect....

Isn't that what Waymarking is? The old virtuals plus?

No, not really. But Waymarks, EarthCaches, virtual listings, and benchmarks are not true geocaches where you have to sign a log. I enjoy them all, but why not just list the non physical loggable ones on one site? That would mean that new virtual listings would have to pass through peer review, which would take some of the load off of the GC reviewers. You know that we are going to flood the site with virtuals, so I hope GC has good clear guidelines for the reviewers.

I don't think it is gonna be quite the flood you think. Yes, there will be a few who go overboard. However, I suspect that once the novelty wears off things will slow down.

No, I don't belive the new virtuals will be as common as waymarks. Many have asked for a "history' cache. I think that there will be a limit on what is acceptable to list as a virtual. I agree that a WOW factor is much needed.

I've heard rumors that each account will be able to place one virtual for every year they've been caching. I have NOT heard this from any one I would assume to be in the 'know'.

I guess that would work, as long as the virtual had to stay in place for at least 3 months (just like all caches are supposed to).

I've heard rumors that each account will be able to place one virtual for every year they've been caching. I have NOT heard this from any one I would assume to be in the 'know'.

I guess that would work, as long as the virtual had to stay in place for at least 3 months (just like all caches are supposed to).

I don't think that would be true, but they may be limited to PM's. I think that they will be similar to waymarks, but a very limited amount of categorys. Emails and photos seem to be ALR issues here, and my virtual listings on another site require a code phrase to answer them. That gets around the photos and emails, and because it is a auto system it bypasses those cranky CO's that hold grudges and delete logs like some do with EarthCaches.

Did someone say the higher on the feedback "to do" list means GS is putting us off? :mad:

Bring Back Virtuals

started

We continue to work on the project, but unfortunately will be unable to launch something until late June or early July. I'll update this if anything changes. We'll be incorporating the concept into our August 20 Block Party in Seattle, so early August is the absolute latest that we'll have something live. (13675)

Jeremy

Admin, Geocaching

I can't see this site not staying competive in the geocache listing service business. :rolleyes:

I doubt this site needs to have virtuals to stay competitive as a geocaching site. Waymarking, OTOH, could be in real trouble if virtuals takeoff on one of the alternative sites. :ph34r:

I would like to see the new GC virtuals listed on the Waymarking site along with Benchmark Hunting. I like the Waymarking site better than this one. Photos upload better, the site is not slow on weekends, it's easy to use, ect....

Isn't that what Waymarking is? The old virtuals plus?

No, not really. But Waymarks, EarthCaches, virtual listings, and benchmarks are not true geocaches where you have to sign a log. I enjoy them all, but why not just list the non physical loggable ones on one site? That would mean that new virtual listings would have to pass through peer review, which would take some of the load off of the GC reviewers. You know that we are going to flood the site with virtuals, so I hope GC has good clear guidelines for the reviewers.

I don't think it is gonna be quite the flood you think. Yes, there will be a few who go overboard. However, I suspect that once the novelty wears off things will slow down.

No, I don't belive the new virtuals will be as common as waymarks. Many have asked for a "history' cache. I think that there will be a limit on what is acceptable to list as a virtual. I agree that a WOW factor is much needed.

Split it off. Use different criteria and profile stats.

I have hidden several multi/mystery caches with virtual elements where I feel comfortable with having a container at the end, namely in forest and mountain areas. In the case of my last cache, however, having to hide a container was a real burden to me and I hate the hideout myself as the whole area is not offering any spot where I enjoy searching for a cache.

I understand that I don't know the area and it is possible that there just isn't a good location but with 12.5 square miles to work with it strikes me as unlikely.

It is within 500 m since a larger distance would have led to complaints by most visitors. 8 years ago I could have hidden the cache in some green area 2km or more from the key area which is going to be shown by the cache, but nowadays that does not work out any longer. So I had to choose a compromise hideout in an area which is urban and where there always will exist the typical muggle issues. In such areas I would prefer to set up virtual caches. I am not expecting however that the new concept of virtual caches will cover what I have in mind.

Cezanne

Caches can be hidden under foot and caches should be removed by the finder ( away from muggles ) to a safe zone to update log and contents. I see too many finders cowering over the cache whilst signing and sifting through as muggles peer on. Grab, run, write, replenish, replace. Too easy.

Cezanne

Caches can be hidden under foot and caches should be removed by the finder ( away from muggles ) to a safe zone to update log and contents. I see too many finders cowering over the cache whilst signing and sifting through as muggles peer on. Grab, run, write, replenish, replace. Too easy.

Apperently you read that wrong as it has nothing to do with signing in front of mugs.