End of Geocaching in Hawaii

Kealani

Legislation is pending to make the publishers of guide books liable for injuries sustained by visitors to dangerous sites. This will likely be interpreted to extend to geocaching.com and perhaps the individual hiding the cache. If passed, all my Hawaii geocaches will be immediately disabled.

Legislation is pending to make the publishers of guide books liable for injuries sustained by visitors to dangerous sites. This will likely be interpreted to extend to geocaching.com and perhaps the individual hiding the cache. If passed, all my Hawaii geocaches will be immediately disabled.

Looks like it 'only' applies if there is an enticement to trespass and it is in response to guidebooks giving the impression that certain features on private property are publicly accessible, hence it's inclusion in a Guide Book.

Votes coming up next week

In reading the House & Senate versions of the bill, the trespasser has to meet the definition of a trespasser...meaning there were signs or it's fenced, enclosed, or secured in a way to keep people out. This also includes cropland being cultivated.

The way the bills read now, Groundspeak (or the hider) would only be liable (if then) if the person was legally trespassing AND the seeker got hurt while trespassing.

In reading the House & Senate versions of the bill, the trespasser has to meet the definition of a trespasser...meaning there were signs or it's fenced, enclosed, or secured in a way to keep people out. This also includes cropland being cultivated.

The way the bills read now, Groundspeak (or the hider) would only be liable (if then) if the person was legally trespassing AND the seeker got hurt while trespassing.

....and - the listing page encouraged finders to ignore the fences and signs and mis-represented it to be public property.

....and - the listing page encouraged finders to ignore the fences and signs and mis-represented it to be public property.

Doesn't any listing of a cache on geocaching.com imply that it is placed with permission, and that finders have permission to seek it?

As Ecylram pointed out, this only applies to trespassers who relied on guidebooks. So...which of your two Hawai'ian caches were placed without permission and require trespassing to find?

Looks it is no issue if:

- you have permission of the landlord to place the cache

- you ensure geocachers have permission to access the land

- you add a note to the cache listing the geocacher is responsable for their own actions

The first two you should have done anyhow for any hide.

Bit of an exaggerated title.

Huge logical leap in reasoning to extend that to Geocaching.

Not all Geocaches have any hazardous aspects.

Can't see such a law passing and/or being fully constitutional.

In addition to the other points brought up, what about areas that are safe at the time of publication, and become unsafe a few years later? Is the publisher still liable? Hawaii's geography is constantly evolving, after all.

Looks it is no issue if:

- you add a note to the cache listing the geocacher is responsable for their own actions

Don't you agree to that last bit when you sign up for an account?

Queen's Bath, where I have a cache (GCTHC0), is often quoted as an example of the dangerous areas that need to be avoided.

1.) It is on the "beach", public land.

2.) There is a maintained trail to the site with a public parking lot at the trailhead.

3.) There are no "No Trespassing" signs.

Ownership is not always simple to determine without a trip to the Courthouse and "dangerous" situations are relative. Queen's Bath is clearly dangerous during high surf but the risk can be avoided if you avoid the shoreline. It's possible to access the cache without getting into danger. Geocaching would be boring if it did not take you to the unusual, out of the way places, regardless of the risk. Shouldn't we assume that Geocahers are smart enough not to do stupid things?

Looks it is no issue if:

Don't you agree to that last bit when you sign up for an account?

For me it is, looks like also for you, but I don't know if it counts for everybody. For me everybody is responsable for their own acts. Does not mean everybody takes that responsability...

Can't see such a law passing and/or being fully constitutional.

And that's the key, really, is the Constitutionality of it. That being said, those kinds of processes take a lot of time and a lot of money to undergo, and I as a CO would much rather pull all of my caches than deal with even a remote legal headache like that. Do I think it's ever going to be an issue for GC.com? No, not at all. But discretion being the better part of valor, I for one would rather wait it out for someone else to establish the legal precedent.

Queen's Bath, where I have a cache (GCTHC0), is often quoted as an example of the dangerous areas that need to be avoided.

1.) It is on the "beach", public land.

2.) There is a maintained trail to the site with a public parking lot at the trailhead.

3.) There are no "No Trespassing" signs.

Ownership is not always simple to determine without a trip to the Courthouse and "dangerous" situations are relative. Queen's Bath is clearly dangerous during high surf but the risk can be avoided if you avoid the shoreline. It's possible to access the cache without getting into danger. Geocaching would be boring if it did not take you to the unusual, out of the way places, regardless of the risk. Shouldn't we assume that Geocahers are smart enough not to do stupid things?

I've been to Queen's Bath, but unfortunately that was a couple of months before Dave Ulmer hid the first stash and geocaching was born.

I didn't walk/climb down into the bath itself and since I was there in winter when the surf is generally very high it was pretty obvious that climbing further down would be dangerous. If I recall, there was a very nice trail which led from a parking area to the bath. In cases like this it should be possible to place a cache along the trail in a safe area but still close enough to "the unusual" that most geocachers would still talk the additional 100 feet or so to view what you took there to see.

Not an end to caching as we know it, but interesting from a legal standpoint. If I tell someone how to trespass, is that enticing them to do something completely stupid? It might be overly broad if it were not limited to natural, probable, or forseeable consequences. How much proof do you need to assert that the guidebook made you do it? And if the guidebook warns against doing something stupid are they still liable? Will there be a rush to buy used copies of guidebooks? Will people print books advising people not to take a certain path in a certain area because it leads through private property and you might hurt yourself if you jump from the top of the falls? I have seen caches titled "Don't find this cache!" Can I sue Groundspeak if I ignore that advice? But it has been too long since I have taken torts to really think this through.

I have been to Queen's Bath and would probably go there again if I can find a guidebook or cache that tells me how to do it.

Edited by mulvaney