Most Hides?

Ecylram

A post in another thread got me to thinking. (Never a good thing.)

In our state we've got a number of prolific hiders. The top hider is also our top finder, Mondou2. He has placed 906 caches over the years and, YES, he does maintain his caches. (I don't know how he does it, but he does.)

Who's the most prolific hider in your area and how many have they placed?

I was surprised to find my name on the list. I've only hidden 94.

Wow, a year ago I was in the around #60 or so on that list. A lot of people are placing a lot of caches all of a sudden.

I noticed that as well - big drop since I last looked at that list. At one time I was up around #100.

Lots of prolific cache hiders out there.

Wow, a year ago I was in the around #60 or so on that list. A lot of people are placing a lot of caches all of a sudden.

There's a cacher in my area who has placed an average of one cache about every three days over the course of the last year or so, all within 15 miles of my house. It's between 100-150 or so. I'm not sure that I found as many caches last year, as he placed.

• rank cacher found hides total
    1353 Juicepig 5388 105 5493
    1668 RCA777 2481 92 2573
    2357 fingers crossed 5072 73 5145
    3298 IsqubaAndNawty 9628 57 9685

The list seems to be missing:

Edge of the Earth...found 314.......hides 106

Edited by Pup Patrol

I don't know how accurate it is, but here's a list:

http://www.zinnware....s&Ordering=DESC

I have not seen that list. It looks like the numbers for the cachers listed are correct, but I don't see a number of cachers in my own area that should be on the list. Accurate, but incomplete I'd say.

It's a good resource, I bookmarked it.

That list is definitely manually mainained. And I don't know how they hear of prolific newer cache hiders. There's someone on there from Quebec, and they went hog wild and hid like 500 caches in their first 6 months. I see they eventually showed up on there, and have 672 hides now.

I don't suppose that the proliferation of power trails would have anything to do with that. BTW, I noticed that the account used to hide caches on the ET trail (1080 hides) doesn't show up on that first list.

There's a cacher in my area who has placed an average of one cache about every three days over the course of the last year or so, all within 15 miles of my house. It's between 100-150 or so. I'm not sure that I found as many caches last year, as he placed.

There have been 77 caches placed within 15 miles of my house since Feb. 5 last year. I've found 34 four of them, and 93 total in that timeframe. I bumped the number of miles to 100 to see how many I found within 100 miles and it was still 34. Roughly 2/3rds of my finds are further than 100 miles from home.

Having that many hides is impressive, but I've got to ask how one can maintain them all. Of those hides, how many have been archived? Were they archived due to lack of maintenance? Are the majority of them micros on a power trail? I'm thinking that having 3000 hides even placed every tenth of a mile would be an incredible burden. Just think of the amount of emails you'd get when people find them! lol

I'd prefer quality over quantity. As several have mentioned, maintenance becomes a big issue with a high number of hides. Spending some extra time and attention during the planning of a hide can sometimes really make a difference in the experience. A nice write-up always seems nicer than a note saying, "Another cache hidden. Come look for it."

Also comes to mind the term "geohogs". Although I know of a few good places to hide more caches in my area, I decided that I had hidden enough myself and wanted to allow some remaining cool spots for new hiders. I've even given hide suggestions to fellow cachers hoping to ignite the desire to hide in them. Plus, it gives me more caches in the area to find. :)