Good Idea, Bad Idea

BlueNacho

We have bad things in and near caches. We have bad people in and near caches. Whats next? Oh yeah! Bad caches themselves.

This is the thread to post about all those terrible cache ideas that litter our game board. I found a cache with coordinates 200 feet off. I'd miss it, except the FTFer drove past me on the way out.

Sorry if this is already a thread. I've never seen one, and it isn't on the first few pages.

Worst idea one I found was a plastic type of 'ammo can'. It looked more like a tackle box. It was wrapped in black tape, and sitting in the middle of a public yard/park along a busy street to an international ferry. It wasn't hidden at all and the seal on the box was broken making it a nice hangout spot for everything from mold to earwigs. I'm surprised it never went missing.

2e2ec88e-097c-4f94-a57c-023549446541.jpg

In amongst all of this lies a lip balm tube thrown on the ground. After numerous DNF's, the CO threw down a second container (seems they couldn't find the initial one). A number of us reached out to this new, and presumably young, CO to provide assistance but unfortunately they reacted in a very negative manner both on the cache page and in a log. Would appear that they have since left the game.

Edited by entogeek

2e2ec88e-097c-4f94-a57c-023549446541.jpg

In amongst all of this lies a lip balm tube thrown on the ground. After numerous DNF's, the CO threw down a second container (seems they couldn't find the initial one). A number of us reached out to this new, and presumably young, CO to provide assistance but unfortunately they reacted in a very negative manner both on the cache page and in a log. Would appear that they have since left the game.

Did I mention the syringe with attached needle that another cacher found in amongst this stuff?

Actually, if you think about it, a syringe would make a great micro cache container, wouldn't it? Without the needle, of course. If you plug the little hole where the needle would go the plunger would seal up the other end...pull out the plunger to open the container. It would have a perfect waterproof seal, wouldn't it? Hey, I may be onto something here... :).

I was first to find on a ziploc bad inside a cinder block. Cache was disabled within a week of publishing and then archived a month after that.

Ziplock bag, under a skirt that wouldn't fully go down. Filled with water and toys. Log was soaked. When I posted my find and a "Needs Maintenance" the owner became very hostile over their amazing hiding skills, and said that the cache didn't need to be replaced, just left to dry. I followed this with a picture of the cache in another NM post, which then had the cache taken down for maintenance (which never happened). There were two caches like this within a mile of eachother, which I think would be safe to assume had the same owner.

I was caching in a park and one of the caches was a metal tin can with a plastic lid on the top. When I opened the cache there was a yellow trash bag inside with all of the wet toys and logbook. The tin can was so rusted that it actually blended with the brown leaves creating a good camouflage by mistake. my friends wouldn't touch it, fearing of Tetanus. :blink:

3 of the worst locally.

1) A micro hidden in an old cemetery. On the cache page the CO states the cache isn't at the posted coordinates. The hint is it's not along the border. It's hidden at the base of one of the many trees in the cemetery about 150 ft from the posted coords. This isn't a noobee CO either. She has several hundred caches hidden around the area.

2) Different CO. It was in the fall when the CO took a sycamore leaf, taped a buffalo tube to one side and she tossed it on the ground in a wooded area near a creek. As with all wooded areas in the fall the ground is covered with fallen leaves. No hints. After several DNFs and comments from unsuccessful hunters the CO posted a snippy note saying it should have been an obvious find since it was a sycamore leaf and there are no sycamore trees in the area.

3) Same CO as #2. She hid a cache at a municipal airport next to the airport's main power control box, main radar antenna, and less than 100 yds from the main gate of the Air National Guard HQ. His CO isn't some kid. She's a retired Army Colonel.

Actually, if you think about it, a syringe would make a great micro cache container, wouldn't it? Without the needle, of course. If you plug the little hole where the needle would go the plunger would seal up the other end...pull out the plunger to open the container. It would have a perfect waterproof seal, wouldn't it? Hey, I may be onto something here... :).

If you plug the hole, the plunger wouldn't be able to be put back in to the syringe. The hole pushes out liquid, but it ALSO pushes the air out. If you seal that, well...just get one from your local pharmacy and try it. I don't know how to describe it so that it makes sense, but the plunger pushes air out and if the air is trapped you can't put the plunger in. Not sure if that makes sense.

If you plug the hole, the plunger wouldn't be able to be put back in to the syringe. The hole pushes out liquid, but it ALSO pushes the air out. If you seal that, well...just get one from your local pharmacy and try it. I don't know how to describe it so that it makes sense, but the plunger pushes air out and if the air is trapped you can't put the plunger in. Not sure if that makes sense.

No, that actually makes perfect sense. I just hadn't thought it all the way through, I guess. Simple physics at work :)

I foud a cache once( it has since been archived :laughing:) after looking for 20 minutes the coords kept moving me to the middle of the road I finally started investigating the coordinates and discovered that the cache was tied with a wire to the center of a cattle guard right on the the yellow line of a very busy highway with a posted speed limit of 45 MPH. :anibad:

The worst cache I have come across to date would have been the plastic ziploc baggie cache. There were numerous issues with this cache, the first being the plastic baggie as the container and the second being that GZ was 90 feet AWAY from the cache. It took reading all the previous "Found It" logs to find the correct GZ and even then I found it a few feet off where the last cacher had found it. -_-;

No, that actually makes perfect sense. I just hadn't thought it all the way through, I guess. Simple physics at work :)

What you could use is a horse worming syringe. It is like a medical syringe but only bigger. Each one comes with a cap on the end that can be taken off and put back on. So to put the cache back you could push the plunger down and then put the cap on the end. I am pretty sure you can take the plunger out of these although I have never tried. This was kind of hard to explain so here is a picture to show what the heck I am talking about.

41qZOx6EfpL.jpg

I recently found one without anything but tape holding on the lid... when it rains it will be a swimming pool not a log book...

Tupperware containers secured to the trunk of a tree, 5' up, by duct taping all around the tree in order to hold the tupperware in place.

(I was FTF and the duct tape was already coming off and had dirt all over it!)

After several DNFs and comments from unsuccessful hunters the CO posted a snippy note saying it should have been an obvious find since it was a sycamore leaf and there are no sycamore trees in the area.

That made me laugh out loud. As ridiculous as that is, it almost makes sense in a geeky way. Reminds me of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory... some people just live in a different world than the "normals".

I can't say that this wouldn't be a bad place to hide something, as long as the owner/property owner knew of it. But the worse one for me was on an ATM and there were numerous ones around. After looking for a bit one night I felt like I was in the wrong so I left. Three days later there were a lot of comments about being yelled at and having the police called on them for being suspicious.