shipping costs

RedShoesGirl

here is what i wrote the seller of a coin i purchased on the eplace and received yesterday. i know we have had this conversation before, but i feel it needs brining up again. yes, i know there are unseen costs to shipping, cost of mailer, gas to post office etc. although i think those things should be part of the cost of the item and doing business — sellers add that to the shipping costs and i sort of understand that, but there is a limit. anyway - here is what i said:

>>when i pay $3.50 for shipping i expect the coin at least to arrive in a bubble mailer and not taped inside a coin envelope - the whole thing costing $.61 to mail. your shipping charges are out of line for how you actually shipped. it may not seem much to you, but if enough sellers gouge their customers on shipping then pretty soon we will not buy from those sellers.<<

and that's what i plan to say in the feedback.

now i feel better for sharing ...

here is what i wrote the seller of a coin i purchased on the eplace and received yesterday. i know we have had this conversation before, but i feel it needs brining up again. yes, i know there are unseen costs to shipping, cost of mailer, gas to post office etc. although i think those things should be part of the cost of the item and doing business — sellers add that to the shipping costs and i sort of understand that, but there is a limit. anyway - here is what i said:

>>when i pay $3.50 for shipping i expect the coin at least to arrive in a bubble mailer and not taped inside a coin envelope - the whole thing costing $.61 to mail. your shipping charges are out of line for how you actually shipped. it may not seem much to you, but if enough sellers gouge their customers on shipping then pretty soon we will not buy from those sellers.<<

You'll have to pare it down a bit though. I feel your pain though. While it's reasonable to pay more than actual postage, that seems a little steep.

I'm pretty sure I just bought a coin from the same seller and I had a conversation with a fellow coiner regarding this as they had bought a coin from the same seller and the coin got delivered damaged because of the way it was mailed. Not only is it a bad way to send coins through the mail, it's also against USPS rules, since it's being sent at "letter" rate, instead of a package rate.

If it is an issue of the coin being improperly packaged for reasons of protection, then I get it. If it's just an issue of the cost, well then, if they clearly stated the shipping charges, then as a buyer one chooses to agree to them when the bid. A lot of people pad the shipping charge because ebay doesn't include it in their fees. So, IMO, it kinda depends on what you have issue with, the packaging or the fee, KWIM?

If it is an issue of the coin being improperly packaged for reasons of protection, then I get it. If it's just an issue of the cost, well then, if they clearly stated the shipping charges, then as a buyer one chooses to agree to them when the bid. A lot of people pad the shipping charge because ebay doesn't include it in their fees. So, IMO, it kinda depends on what you have issue with, the packaging or the fee, KWIM?

i suppose both. yes, i agreed to the shipping fee when i bought the item on a second chance offer. but for that amount of shipping costs, i have every reasonable expectation the coin will be packaged properly. it wasn't exactly a cheap coin. yes, i expect to pay more than actual shipping, but at least i figure the coin will be safely packaged!

so for the extra couple of dollars the seller made on shipping, he lost a potential customer. does not seem like good financial planning. :)

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Well, at least all your coins didn't end up damaged beyond repair (Maui, RSG, etc.) ;) To answer Ms. Hula, I really don't give a hoot what the actual shipping cost is. Because you can see the answer to what it is before bidding, as you pointed out. But when a seller knowingly circumvents USPS shipping regulations and "flat tapes" the coin into a first class paper letter envelope, it's bad business. Because I won't be the only one to receive a damaged coin from this person. Their packaging inside a flimsy mess of an envelope allowed the sort machine wheels to damage the coin, plain and simple.

Having said all that, yes, the stamps cost them $.61, and $3.50 is excessive. That's what the little "Report listing" button is for, and then Ebay can hear you speak your mind. And it nevers hurts to give their DSR (Detailed Seller Ratings) all 1s when you leave feedback :P

*Caveat. The seller offered to refund my purchase 100%, but since it was an old rare coin, I declined.

TMA

Hey Stacey, I didn't have a problem with the shipping cost but just had the expectation that they'd package it properly, like so many of us do when we send coins through the mail.

... If you don't like shipping prices, don't pay them.[/font]

it isn't a matter of not liking the shipping cost, it is not getting what you paid for and that is proper packaging so the coin does not end up damaged or destroyed and the seller can pocket the extra $$ by flat mailing the coin. that's what i have an issue with. it was a rare-ish coin so i didn't quibble about the shipping cost. but as with any coin, rare or not, it deserves to be handled correctly. from reading the posts, this shipper seems to be known to other buyers for the same practice. that's a shame because a seller is only as good as his reputation.

... If you don't like shipping prices, don't pay them.[/font]

it isn't a matter of not liking the shipping cost, it is not getting what you paid for and that is proper packaging so the coin does not end up damaged or destroyed and the seller can pocket the extra $$ by flat mailing the coin. that's what i have an issue with. it was a rare-ish coin so i didn't quibble about the shipping cost. but as with any coin, rare or not, it deserves to be handled correctly. from reading the posts, this shipper seems to be known to other buyers for the same practice. that's a shame because a seller is only as good as his reputation.

Was it stated in the auction HOW it was going to be shipped, in a bubble mailer or not? If not, did you specify how YOU would like it shipped? I'm not sure who the seller is you are speaking of, but if it's not a "coin person" he/she may not be familiar on how to properly ship a geocoin. They also may not know all the rules and regulations of the USPS. Assuming the worst isn't good practice. Giving the benefit of doubt can go a long way, usually about as far as intolerance.

Unfortunately, my good friend Chevy, it's one of the earliest coin collectors I remember. And they have been shipping coins for 5 years. In my more than distasteful discussions with this person, they claim that they feel that paper envelopes are more than sufficient, and I should just "suck it up" ;) They also know exactly what they are doing, and why. I'll be happy to give you the 411 if you email me :P

TMA

It it not just about the cost...If a coin is packaged in the proper way then 3.00 or more is not really unreasonable. If you pay 3.50 then you expect the coin to be packaged properly, otherwise the seller is just gouging you and they are cheating paypal by using the shipping to line their pockets.

Was it stated in the auction HOW it was going to be shipped, in a bubble mailer or not? If not, did you specify how YOU would like it shipped?...

is it up to the buyer to tell the seller how to package an item? come on, if someone is selling something, the it is up to them to know how to package it and what the postal regs are. that is part of being a good business person. i could tell by the person's feedback and other items for sale, this wasn't his first time at the dance. so in the spirit of buyer beware or be aware, i will be happy to share the seller's name if anyone wants to contact me privately.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

If the seller is charging $3.50 for shipping, then the shipping of the coin should be within a reasonable amount of $3.50. If it's going to be in a an envelope, it had better be sent Priority or something expedited. $0.61 + cost of an envelope is not reasonably around $3.50.

We call that stealing.

Kind of sounds like this seller has traded a few too many Pathtags and does not realize coins are far more important to coiners.

However while on the subject of shipping costs, doesn't it blow your mind that we pay $5.95 shipping from a reputable company for an item that is not shipped Priority mail and only cost them $3.95 to send but we complain about the cost on the eplace and the only difference is really in how it was packaged for sending?

That is normal the International Priority Shipping rate, no gouging there and if they want to pay $183 for a 1 of a kind trackable then whomever bought it deserves to pay that high shipping, now if someone in the states bought it, I am sure the shipping will be reduced because it will no longer be international.

RSG I feel for you, I have purchased off the eplace (not a coin) and paid for insurance as well as a higher shipping fee and the item was sent in a substandard package for the item, with no insurance and it cost them $0.92 after I paid almost $5 for shipping plus the insurance.

I am right there with you on this, I sell on the eplace from time to time but I always ship in a padded mailer or a flat rate box, I expect no less when I purchase from someone else.

Kind of sounds like this seller has traded a few too many Pathtags and does not realize coins are far more important to coiners.

However while on the subject of shipping costs, doesn't it blow your mind that we pay $5.95 shipping from a reputable company for an item that is not shipped Priority mail and only cost them $3.95 to send but we complain about the cost on the eplace and the only difference is really in how it was packaged for sending?

how a coin is packaged IS a huge deal. it may mean the difference between a damaged coin and one arriving safely like pete said. a reputable company could have higher shipping costs i would imagine unless they are a one man shop doing it all. there may be other employees involved.

even then, a reputable dealer depends on people getting their coins safely. i don't know why that should be any difference than an ebay seller. but i think i would object if i bought a coin from a company and they were going to charge me $6 for shipping!

i was just sort of wandering about ebay geocoins the other evening as we were having this conversation and i noticed a trend toward higher shipping costs, with no explanation why shipping on a single coin should be almost $4 or above.

it is just plain gouging and as long as we buyers buy from sellers who engage in this practice, then we only have ourselves to blame when the costs keep going higher without better service. but i think we buy because we really want something so sort of just "suck it up" in order to have the coin we want. it's easier than rocking the boat.

lara

how a coin is packaged IS a huge deal. it may mean the difference between a damaged coin and one arriving safely like pete said. a reputable company could have higher shipping costs i would imagine unless they are a one man shop doing it all. there may be other employees involved.

even then, a reputable dealer depends on people getting their coins safely. i don't know why that should be any difference than an ebay seller. but i think i would object if i bought a coin from a company and they were going to charge me $6 for shipping!

i was just sort of wandering about ebay geocoins the other evening as we were having this conversation and i noticed a trend toward higher shipping costs, with no explanation why shipping on a single coin should be almost $4 or above.

it is just plain gouging and as long as we buyers buy from sellers who engage in this practice, then we only have ourselves to blame when the costs keep going higher without better service. but i think we buy because we really want something so sort of just "suck it up" in order to have the coin we want. it's easier than rocking the boat.

lara

When I sell on the Eplace my shipping charge is like $4.95 but then again I only ship my coins via priority mail for domestic buyers with delivery confirmation. Unfortunately to the buyers in other countries I send only via airmail, reason, it gets there faster than international priority and is less likely to have a problem through customs, but it is still in a padded mailer.

Many of us who have sold items on ebay charge around $3.00 for shipping but for me that includes either delivery confirmation ($.80 or insurance $1.60) as well as a bubble mailer and printed labels. I think people see the price and charge the same but for less service.

You can always ding them on the stars rating for price.

lara

When I sell on the Eplace my shipping charge is like $4.95 but then again I only ship my coins via priority mail for domestic buyers with delivery confirmation. Unfortunately to the buyers in other countries I send only via airmail, reason, it gets there faster than international priority and is less likely to have a problem through customs, but it is still in a padded mailer.

Why would you only ship priority mail when it cost more and isn't much faster than First Class?

I'm with you RSG on the increase in shipping cost. I had brought this subject up back in Oct. Link to "Shipping Cost" thread and HERE It seems like most online stores seem to be setup to ship based on item count and not weight. So even a small 1 oz Geocoin is still going to cost you the same $3.50 as a larger 3 ox Geocoin would. This system is both good and bad depending on what your ordering.

Unfortunately I don't see a clear solution to keeping shipping cost in check. Unless you have some ideas on a way to rally the Geocoin Community to quiet buying Geocoins until the people selling them agree to drop shipping prices.

Edited by Team kizb