Running first event cache

I!

Jointly with another cacher, I'm running my first event cache. The basic plan is already set: a nice walk taking about 75 minutes with a stiff climb at the end to reach a viewpoint, then a gentle 15-minute amble back to the pub. I've done the basics like making sure the pub will be open (and will reserve tables as necessary), plus checked bus times, and got the cache published well in advance of it happening. I don't plan on setting any new physical hides to go with it, but I might pop across to the next county a week or two beforehand and snaffle some trackables for recycling in the pub :P

Preparation seems to have gone OK ... so now what about some top tips for making the event run smoothly on the day?

Check it is dog and child friendly

Sticky labels and a thick felt pen for name tags

I already checked for dogs: fine for the walk, not fine coming into the pub.

Sticky labels for name tags ... *eek* ... really? Do people do that? Maybe just if it's a big gathering.

See you there, mollyjak - the first "international" visitor to our event!! :P

Sticky labels for name tags ... *eek* ... really? Do people do that? Maybe just if it's a big gathering.

I have been to 2 or 3 'events' and actually find it really useful if people have name labels. I know it sounds like primary school or management conference stuff but it does help break the ice.

We know very few cachers by sight but know a lot of names from logs on our caches and from what we've seen in other cache logs.

It's a bit awkward for us socially inept folk to keep going up to people and saying "who are you then?".

But if you spot a name badge on someone it's a good ice breaker as you can go up to someone and say "hi, we really enjoyed your xxxxxxx cache" (the string of x's are not replacing a swear word there by the way, just meant to represent any cache name).

Much easier to talk to people for the first time if you kind of know who they are :P

Of course if everyone is already likely to know each other....

I have been to 2 or 3 'events' and actually find it really useful if people have name labels. I know it sounds like primary school or management conference stuff but it does help break the ice.

We know very few cachers by sight but know a lot of names from logs on our caches and from what we've seen in other cache logs.

It's a bit awkward for us socially inept folk to keep going up to people and saying "who are you then?".

But if you spot a name badge on someone it's a good ice breaker as you can go up to someone and say "hi, we really enjoyed your xxxxxxx cache" (the string of x's are not replacing a swear word there by the way, just meant to represent any cache name).

Much easier to talk to people for the first time if you kind of know who they are :blink:

Of course if everyone is already likely to know each other....

That's fine until your 'mates' all turn up with the same name-tag :P Spot the 'real' Pharisee

grockles.jpg

We support the idea of offering stick-on labels at events, for all the reasons described by the shifty duo LJ&T above.

Although "event regulars" may feel that name labels are unnecessary I think it's worth remembering that newer cachers who attend may not know anyone by sight but they'll probably recognise names. Events can be a bit daunting when you're starting out and anything that helps new people get integrated into the group has to be a "plus" in my book.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges
Check it is dog and child friendly

Sticky labels and a thick felt pen for name tags

I already checked for dogs: fine for the walk, not fine coming into the pub.

See you there, mollyjak - the first "international" visitor to our event!! :P

It is within travelling distance so if we can put us down EXCEPT a bit of a problem nice walk taking about 75 minutes with a stiff climb at the end to reach a viewpoint I don't do UPs so will meet you in the pub!!

There are a number of events being organised might be an idea to give us some idea so we can put it on the diary :blink:

A log book of some sort (even a sheet of lined paper would do) for attendees to sign and make comments on.

We like to have a large tupperware box or similar to put the trackables in, it helps to keep them under control as cachers rummage.

We're hoping to join you, but at present it's too early to know how many of us and for which parts - we'll let you know ASAP.

A lot of people seem to turn up to events expecting to be spoon-fed new caches, activities and fun.

Don't get stressed and give in to them - it's an event, for cachers (including yourselves) to meet up and chat. Anything else you provide is an extra! :anibad:

I agree, the organised walk prior to the pub is enough extras for them. Don't fret, it'll be fine and many cachers will only make a decision on attending close to the date itself so don't worry that you'll have few attendees.

what is the GC code for the event, Jon?

I've looked under your username but can't see anything, maybe because it's joint hosted? or maybe I'm just pressing all the wrong buttons :anibad:

As for what makes a good event? cake!!! :grin:

I've never been to an event with name badges, but I think it would be good. I've been to a couple where it's only after I've got home and read the "attended" logs, that I've realised there was someone there I would have liked to talk to....if that makes sense

Sarah

Expect more people than you have "will attend" logs!

The hobgoblins hosted a flashmob event in the spring and I think we had more than twice as many caching teams show up compared to the logs on the event page. I ran out of preprinted postcards which were the raffle tickets and log sheets and had to do some creative notebook tearing to get all the names.

However, it was fun and well worth the stress of organising. Hope you have a good day.