Needs Maintenance vs Needs Archived

JL_HSTRE

Another cache asks for your help in finding a cache they are having trouble locating. You have found the cache before so you know exactly where it is. But when you go to GZ with them the cache is unmistakably gone and you post a Needs Maintenance noting this.

How long would you wait for the owner to replace, disable, or archive the cache before you post a Needs Archived log?

(Assume the cache owner is still "active" in the sense that their profile says they have logged onto geocaching.com in the last month.)

Edited by joshism

I let the reviewer worry about it. Our area reviewers are pretty diligent about keeping things in check. The only time I'll ask for a NA is if it has been several months since a NM and I've got an idea for a cache in that location or near it.

Reviewers don't get NM logs. Not automatically at least.

If the owner is active, I post a NM confirming the cache is gone, and let him solve the situation one way or the other.

If the owner is inactive, I post a NM confirming the cache is missing, I send an e-mail to the CO, I send another e-mail two weeks later and post the NA after another two weeks.

I found a destroyed cache last month. We picked up the log and all of the pieces of the container. I posted a NM log and sent the CO an email offering assistance in replacing it. The CO was active every day for a week, they even accepted a friend request, but did not respond to my emails. Since then the CO has not been on the site so I finally posted a NA. I am hoping an email from the reviewer will spur some action but if not I am prepared to replace the cache with a new version.

I found a destroyed cache last month. We picked up the log and all of the pieces of the container. I posted a NM log and sent the CO an email offering assistance in replacing it. The CO was active every day for a week, they even accepted a friend request, but did not respond to my emails. Since then the CO has not been on the site so I finally posted a NA. I am hoping an email from the reviewer will spur some action but if not I am prepared to replace the cache with a new version.

I looked at this Needs Archived log when it arrived in my inbox. I classified it as an example of premature action and I filed it away. The cache was just found on October 7th and your maintenance note was on October 12th.

Let's see if the owner reacts to the recent logs. Thanks for your interest!

I looked at this Needs Archived log when it arrived in my inbox. I classified it as an example of premature action and I filed it away. The cache was just found on October 7th and your maintenance note was on October 12th.

Let's see if the owner reacts to the recent logs. Thanks for your interest!

Keystone,

I knew it was kind of early but based on past history with this CO (GC1XMGJ) they are not always timely in maintenance. I was hoping that a note from you, and a temporary disabling of the cache, would spur some action. As it is right now it is an active cache that is not there because it is sitting here in my house. If a cacher does not read the logs prior to going after it they are going to be disappointed.

Neither your maintenance log nor your needs archived log makes it clear that the cache is sitting in your house.

Reviewers are awesome, but we're not mind readers. Many reviewers are dogs.

Sorry... :huh:

I just re-read my NM log and saw that I never posted that I took the pieces with me! There was no way to replace it because it was smashed plus, since it is in an area with cliffs, I had no idea where the original placement was at. Had I know the location it would have already been replaced with a new container. :D

Sorry for the thread hijack... Back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

Edited by Team MidwestHaunters

....How long would you wait for the owner to replace, disable, or archive the cache before you post a Needs Archived log?...

I would have emailed the owner and moved on with life. It's their job to worry about their cache.

Agreed.

I don't believe that it is my responsibility to close the circle on every cache issue that I identify. My job is to notify the cache owner of any problems that I find. This is typically done by simply noting it in my log. A NM log or an email to the cache owner will deliver this message, also. It is not my responsiblity to continue to follow this issue until it has been resolved to my liking.

Of course, if someone else reported a problem with a cache and I found the cache a month later, I would likely escalate the issue. If the problem was merely mentioned in an earlier log, I would post a NM. If a NM was posted a month earlier, I may post a NA, depending on what this cache's issue was.

That being said, if I had the means to easily fix the problem with the cache, I'd just do that and mention it in my log.

There's a series of five caches here in Bloomington (IN) that were placed a couple years ago by a team from Indy that were here for an event. All five have needed maintained or replaced, and I've been doing that. What gets me is the owners asked me to adopt them, and I said I would, but after that they fell off the planet. The last versions of the caches (ones I put out) are still there, but the real owners won't respond to anything. They're in good spots, too, which stinks since three of them aren't very well done at all, and the spots could be used by other cachers.

Another player locally that gets in and out of the game every year or so has the same thing going on. Nabbed good spots a long time ago, lets the tiny, fragile, plastic condiment containers just about disintegrate, but runs out on the very last day after being warned by a reviewer and puts ANOTHER crappy container with a slip of paper for a log out.

Make you wonder if there should be a mechanism where you can nominate a cacher for "needs archived"!

There's a series of five caches here in Bloomington (IN) that were placed a couple years ago by a team from Indy that were here for an event. All five have needed maintained or replaced, and I've been doing that. What gets me is the owners asked me to adopt them, and I said I would, but after that they fell off the planet. The last versions of the caches (ones I put out) are still there, but the real owners won't respond to anything. They're in good spots, too, which stinks since three of them aren't very well done at all, and the spots could be used by other cachers.

Another player locally that gets in and out of the game every year or so has the same thing going on. Nabbed good spots a long time ago, lets the tiny, fragile, plastic condiment containers just about disintegrate, but runs out on the very last day after being warned by a reviewer and puts ANOTHER crappy container with a slip of paper for a log out.

Make you wonder if there should be a mechanism where you can nominate a cacher for "needs archived"!

So stop maintaining someone elses caches, wait for them to go away, then place your own. I never understand why people do that.