Show Your Colors

Ecylram

In a recent post someone pointed out that Valspar Plastic Spray Paint Primer did a great job providing a base coat for their caches. I'll bet many of you have wasted money on products that didn't work for one reason or another so... Let save us all some money and share our information:

What paints/tape/etc. do you use for camouflaging your various types of hides? Specifically, what brand and color have you found works best for camouflaging and long term use?

Alternatively, was there an item that turned out to be a total waste of money?

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_...ion_technology/

I'm using some of this to camo a 1gal plastic jar. No prep work whatsoever. Base coat of the olive, then I used leaves from my backyard as stencils to make patterns with the khaki and and black. my local wallyworld didn't have the brown, but I could really use that color for some fake bark I'll be doing later.

The stuff went on easy and adhered to the plastic very well. It has a very good matte finish that will help the container hide in the shadows.

I also use the krylon paint. So far so good.

One thing though, If you're painting a platic container be sure to rough up the surface. I spent a whole bunch of time painting a 1.5 L jar only to go check on it a week later and discover a large portion on the paint had cracked and fallen off. Now I use a hack saw blade to scrape the exterior before i paint.

I'm using some of this to camo a 1gal plastic jar. No prep work whatsoever. Base coat of the olive, then I used leaves from my backyard as stencils to make patterns with the khaki and and black. my local wallyworld didn't have the brown, but I could really use that color for some fake bark I'll be doing later.

The stuff went on easy and adhered to the plastic very well. It has a very good matte finish that will help the container hide in the shadows.

I have also used the Krylon camo paint (khaki and olive). I haven't placed the caches yet, so I don't know how well they will hold up, but the finish seems really good.

IMG_3340cropped.jpg

I've had success with the Krylon camouflage paint in dk brown, dk green and tan. Do camo with mini maple and oak leaves cut from scrapbooking punches.

Back when we were noob, we tried a 'stone' paint, but hadn't adequately read the directions, and found it was for interior use only. Duh. We've learned so much.................

I have also used the Krylon camo paint (khaki and olive). I haven't placed the caches yet, so I don't know how well they will hold up, but the finish seems really good.

IMG_3340cropped.jpg

Those look great!

I've found that the cammo duct tape that they sell at Wally World doesn't work well at all. I don't recall the actual brand, but I'm trying to fix up a container I've not yet put out because the tape is horrible.

Those look great!

I've found that the cammo duct tape that they sell at Wally World doesn't work well at all. I don't recall the actual brand, but I'm trying to fix up a container I've not yet put out because the tape is horrible.

Has anybody found a brand of camo tape that holds up?

I was at a cache a couple months ago where the cache & tool were covered with a badly disintegrating camo tape that made the cache stand out AND left particles all over us.

Those look great!

Has anybody found a brand of camo tape that holds up?

I was at a cache a couple months ago where the cache & tool were covered with a badly disintegrating camo tape that made the cache stand out AND left particles all over us.

I had a cache where I used cloth camo tape, the kind used by bow hunters, and sprayed it, actually soaked it with a clear sealant. It was completely exposed to the elements and lasted 6 years. It was a little shabby when I finally picked it up, but I was amazed by its longevity.

IMG_3340cropped.jpg

Those look great!

The Walmarts in my area sell Duck brand camo tape. I've had very good results with it.

IMG_3340cropped.jpg

Those look great!

The Walmarts in my area sell Duck brand camo tape. I've had very good results with it.

Any trick to making it last longer, or did it do alright for you straight out of the package?

A few examples of mine.

th_3D-Ammo-Can-1.jpg

th_3D-Ammo-Can-2.jpg

th_New-Camo-Style.jpg

th_Camo.jpg

These are awesome Kit! What do you use to make the texture detail? Recently I have been using Rustoleum Textured spray to get a more textured look. The particles are the consistency of fine sand. I then pain the final coat with the Krylon mention above. Although I have gotten a comment or two on the nice camo job, I see yours are vastly superior to mine. Hidden in the right area, they would be much more difficult to find. Any info on you method that you are willing to share is appreciated.

What did you use for the 3D effect, spray insulation?

The 3d foam is spray foam in a can.

These are awesome Kit! What do you use to make the texture detail? Recently I have been using Rustoleum Textured spray to get a more textured look. The particles are the consistency of fine sand. I then pain the final coat with the Krylon mention above. Although I have gotten a comment or two on the nice camo job, I see yours are vastly superior to mine. Hidden in the right area, they would be much more difficult to find. Any info on you method that you are willing to share is appreciated.

The gritty textured camo was "Liquid Nails," and a small stick to make the texture.

Like Kit, I am a fan of physical camo. Nature abhors a straight line, and if you simply spray a cube, it still looks like a cube. Your eyes will be drawn to it. A little bit of texture goes a long way toward breaking up the outline. I've tried a whole bunch of adhesives, and found that the best one for multiple materials, (metal, plastic, etc), is Liquid Nails Roof Repair. It comes in a grey and black caulking tube. The product is black, smells really foul and will stain anything it touches, so you gotta work outside with it. I apply it on a surface with a caulking gun, then smear it like peanut butter with a plastic knife, avoiding seams, latches and hinges. Then I mash in my camo material. I use Spanish moss, ground moss and a product called Excelsior, which is just shredded cedar that looks like pine needles. I let them cure for a few days, and they are ready for the woods.

They look like this:

274b4784-62c8-4146-ab40-504cfdf11979.jpg

eba44b39-1634-4f11-9f0e-ec0476a9d447.jpg

On really big cans, I'll add pine bark to the mix.

352bd9b9-9530-402c-aa29-6e629206b85b.jpg

For smaller containers, I'll spray camo the sides, and apply physical camo to the top.

When they get wiggled into the leaf litter, they all but disappear,

a5dfe58a-2158-489b-af62-b0a7c85c4d0e.jpg

Another medium I played around with, going back to my army days, is strips of burlap.

I buy the camo printed burlap and cut it into 1"x4" strips, then apply it in an overlap pattern.

This one is freshly made, but they actually look better with age, as the threads start unraveling.

244d37eb-6355-4e10-8ec7-f5c2b75fe394.jpg

What did you use for the 3D effect, spray insulation?

The 3d foam is spray foam in a can.

The gritty textured camo was "Liquid Nails," and a small stick to make the texture.

Now that is clever thinking! Ihave had good results with krylon paint abd the camo tape from wall mart. But my caches have not been out all that long so time will tell.

I like the 3d camo. I did some 3d camo to my recent container, as well. I used some of the foam crumbles used for model trains in two different textures and once adhered, I sprayed with the krylon.

Since my area is almost exclusively pine woods, I glued a bunch of pine needles to the top of the container.

I placed it in an area in deep shadow, and without piling any debris on top (dead giveaway when I'm hunting for a cache), it disappears.

If the 3d camo gets beat up too much this winter, I may take it in for a few weeks to implement some of the camo techniques shown here.

Krylon is great - dull leaf colours.

We tried regular camo duct tape but is too shiny and too green for the autumn season.

Camo hockey tape is designed to stick in wet and cold conditions. We have been using it for two years and it is still sticking. The dull lighter camo colours disappear into the dry grass and leaves.

We will have to try some of the ideas in this thread to disguise ammo can corners better.

Since my area is almost exclusively pine woods, I glued a bunch of pine needles to the top of the container.

I originally tried pine needles, but because of the oils they secrete, I couldn't get them to adhere very well.

That's why I switched to brown Excelsior.

Clan Riffster - How does the moss and bark hold up over time?

Good question. If you use a sturdy, flexable, all-weather adhesive such as Liquid Nails Roof Repair, the moss won't actually fall out. What does happen, over time, with sufficient handling, is the moss breaks off near the surface. After enough time goes by, the can looks a loy less fuzzy. Since the adhesive has its own texture, and holds the moss stubble, you still get some 3D camo effect. Redoing the camo is as easy as doing it the first time, so repairs are not an issue. This can was in the woods about 2 years:

9b71a26d-c9a5-4455-896d-7d488d8985a2.jpg