Find #100

GeoBroke

After I contacted Lily Pad to take a visit I realized that it should be a momentous event. I have set out to make my visit find #100. Looking forward to the visit, trade some coins and purchase some swag!

Congratulations!! We got our 100th find over the weekend!! We have pics posted on our profile!

Tina

Edited by CacheKidz!

I remember my #100. :P I was at a geocaching event with 99 finds and asked those there for a suggestion on number 100. They sent me to one that was out of my way but I went anyway. Upon opening it I found a special item from those at the event. They had taken a shortcut and got there to place it before I could. :D

Congratulations! I am approaching 100 finds too and start thinking about which cache to pick for this event and other ideas to add to the fun pool! What does anyone else do? Special TBs, coins, speacial SWAG item to drop off, etc??

I didn't do anything special for any of my milestones other than try to choose a cache that would be memorable or unique in some way.

For my 100th, I wanted to get a cache that was a 5 stage multi in an area called Sapsucker Woods. That's the location for the Lab of Ornithology for the university where I work. There are a bunch of trails throughout the woods and the various stages covered most of them. A couple of those stages were fairly challenging hides (all stages had containers). As I approached #100 I went out and found all the preliminary stages, which actually took three trips to the area after DNFs on stage 1 and 3. Then I needed to find two more caches before going back and getting the final. I DNFd on caches twice while trying to get #98 and #99, then finally went out and got the final for the multi for #100. It's one of the best multi's I've ever done.

Once I reached 1000 finds, I pretty much stopped caring about reaching the next milestone. I don't care if I ever reach 2000, or even 1100. Perhaps, if I'm still geocaching in a few years and get close to 2000 I might select another potential memory cache for that one.

Congratulations on #100. We recently did this as well and I hope yours was as memorable. Within a few weeks of our start in caching we got wrapped up in this one:

GC2BVZQ

It was a long journey but as we closed in on it we knew it had to be number 100. The hardest part was getting enough of the clues before we hit 100. I ended up having to do 3 other caches before the final to make it a milestone.

See you at 200!

Congratulations on #100. We recently did this as well and I hope yours was as memorable. Within a few weeks of our start in caching we got wrapped up in this one:

GC2BVZQ

It was a long journey but as we closed in on it we knew it had to be number 100. The hardest part was getting enough of the clues before we hit 100. I ended up having to do 3 other caches before the final to make it a milestone.

See you at 200!

That's what I'm talking about. I think a challenge cache like this one is especially good for a milestone as it requires to find a bunch of other caches first that are part of that first 100.

Oh, and since I forgot to mention it in my last message. Congrats to everyone that has posted so far about reaching 100.

I found my 100th, and 101st caches today! SO FUN! I went to a puzzle one that looked like a lot of fun, hidden by a personal favorite hider (because of their clever hides :huh: ). Took my pic, and went on my way to 101. YAY! (And I have only been caching since the beginning of September! AND I have....ah....well.... :laughing: )

:yikes:

69333_1673305953226_1254734222_31863892_3151924_n.jpg

Edited by matildapants

I'm hoping to get #100 this weekend. I'm at 95 now, so shouldn't be too difficult. The one I have planned was placed in June 2009 and has only 3 finds, the last one being August 2009. I finally solved the puzzle Tuesday night. :yikes: I enjoy finding puzzle caches that haven't been found/solved in a very long time, so making one #100 seemed perfect. :huh:

After reading these stories, I know I really should have waited to make my 100 more memorable... maybe I'll just have to do that for 250 or something.

I'm hoping to get #100 this weekend. I'm at 95 now, so shouldn't be too difficult. The one I have planned was placed in June 2009 and has only 3 finds, the last one being August 2009.

I had one like that picked out for my 900th find. It was a cache about 35 miles from me, along the shores of a nearby lake. The only way to access it was by boat since the surrounding area is private property. I had done a reconnaissance mission a few weeks early to determine the best spot to launch my kayak to go after the cache and figured it was about 3.5 miles each way from the nearest public launch point. The cache was placed in 2003, had 8 find logs until Aug. 2005, then a DNF about a year later, followed by a maintenance log by the CO indicating he replaced the cache in 2006, but the next persons DNFd it about a month later. There were no additional logs on the cache until Sept. 2009, about four years since the cache was last found, the local reviewer posted a note asking about the coordinates (the CO had not used the official procedure for updating them). The reviewer then updated the coordinates and assumed that the CO was MIA and the cache appeared to be destined to be archived. I put it on my hot list and started plans to go get it for my 900th find. A few days before the weekend I planned to go someone took a motor boat to the location, couldn't find the cache, threw down a decon as a replacement and logged it as a find. I just couldn't bring myself to go after a replacement cache so I changed my plans and went and found "The Spot" (GC39) for my 900th instead.