What part of an event is your favorite.

We have noticed a few different ways to enjoy events. When you attend one are you...

A social butterfly?

A caching hunting machine?

A wall flower?

Some other type of attendee?

Or do you avoid events all together?

Share your thoughts.

We go to meet others. Events are the place we get together to talk with other cachers. We share stories, and swap ideas. We catch up on the happening and the adventures in the lives of our fellow cachers. This, it has been pointed out, is the total opposite of the way I like to cache in general, which is all by myself.

I guess I'm a social butterfly. I generally don't hunt many, if any caches at events that have caches. I like to hang around the pavilion or wherever the central gathering point is and chew the saturated fat.

We had a big event last weekend where there were dozens of caches in the park and surrounding area. Cachers came and went all day long. Some were out pretty much all day, but I was a pavilion fly. I enjoyed chatting with other cachers throughout the day.

Didn't hunt a cache all day until the very end and that was one that was only a few hundred feet away from the pavilion.

I think my favourite part of an event is meeting cachers and talking about caching. I don't want to talk about TV (which I don't watch), I don't want to talk about the Raiders or the 49ers or the Yankees or the A's or the Sharks, I just want to talk about caching. It's a lot of fun and we all have great stories to share. It's what make events worth attending.

Oh, and some of the geocoins are cool, too.

We like meeting the cachers we know and the ones we don't know yet. But we also like finding the caches placed for the event. We usually end up teaming together with some other cachers for the cache hunt, so although we go out hunting we're still social.

\Mette

I’ve never found a cache during an event yet, although sometimes pick up one or two on the way there or way home afterwards. I like to put faces to names and meet new people, especially locals, as it is fun to later spot their names in logbooks. And my lads like to wear their trackable t shirts and be “discovered”, and to run around the car park looking for travel bugs on cars. I wouldn’t say I really fit the social butterfly tag though as I’m pretty shy, so I do a fair bit of wallflowering. I’m hoping that will change as I get to know more people in the area, so far I have only been to a few events and still feel a tiny bit like I’m gatecrashing a private party, iykwim :P

I love to talk shop with other cachers. It's so much fun to share caching stories, discuss guidelines and hides, etc; and also to get suggestions about good caches to find in a particular area.

I also love CITO events... it feels good to give back to the community.

And thirdly, we love challenge events where there's a planned activity or race because we get to know the area where the event is being held, and we get challenged at the same time! It's fun!

I guess I'm a social butterfly. I generally don't hunt many, if any caches at events that have caches. I like to hang around the pavilion or wherever the central gathering point is and chew the saturated fat.

We had a big event last weekend where there were dozens of caches in the park and surrounding area. Cachers came and went all day long. Some were out pretty much all day, but I was a pavilion fly. I enjoyed chatting with other cachers throughout the day.

Didn't hunt a cache all day until the very end and that was one that was only a few hundred feet away from the pavilion.

At the 10-10 event I attended last weekend there was a cache a few hundred feet from the central area where the event took place. It wasn't an all day event so there was pretty much a steady stream of geocachers at that cache and turned out to be a second place to meet up with other cachers. I go to events to chat with other geocachers both those I've met previously and those I meet for the first time. There were over 100 people at the event last week from distances over 3 hours away so there wasn't much time for finding caches anyway.

The beer!

And, of course, meeting other cachers. What has surprised me is the cliquishness of a lot of the cachers. I've only been caching for six years, so I'm a newbie to some of them.

What some people see as "cliquishness" is simply friendship. The "clique" in my area has people who have been caching for many years and some who have been caching for a year. It is open to anybody wants to join. There is no membership requirement other than enjoying conversation and geocaching.

The beer!

What beer, I'm not even old enough yet! :P

I always enjoy the games and activities part. One of my favorites was the ammo can toss...

e7e86dc5-f46f-4135-bd23-4989f1075d20.jpg

I am so going to steal that for our next beach bash down here in San Diego.

For me it's social butterfly. Although I can easily be lead astray for a close by or interesting cache. Couldn't resist the Earthcache so close to our 10 10 10 event this weekend.

I enjoy meeting up with cachers, new and not so new. I am a bit of a social butterfly (took the logbook around at a 10-10-10 event) and love putting faces to names I've only read. Someone looked familiar to me, it turned out her children were patients of ours. Neither of us knew the other was "into" geocaching!

...I don't want to talk about the ...Yankees ... I just want to talk about caching. ....

You don't want to talk about the Yankees? What is wrong with you...You are one sick puppy.... :P

Anyway, back on topic. I have only been to one event, a CITO on a freezing day (literally, it was below zero centigrade). We had fun, but no one hung around much after due to the cold.

Edited by Andronicus