Home coordinates

So I have been living and teaching English in Korea for almost a year now, in January I get to go back to the U.S. to see my family (and get married --- that is another story). Anyway my question is this, do I change my home coordinates or not. Arizona is my home but its not where I live right now. If I change my home cords to Arizona then back to Korea the finds I make while on vacation will only be a few miles away yet if i don't they will be 6000+. Really it does not matter except for my stats.

What do you think? When do you change your home cords? Should I?

So I have been living and teaching English in Korea for almost a year now, in January I get to go back to the U.S. to see my family (and get married --- that is another story). Anyway my question is this, do I change my home coordinates or not. Arizona is my home but its not where I live right now. If I change my home cords to Arizona then back to Korea the finds I make while on vacation will only be a few miles away yet if i don't they will be 6000+. Really it does not matter except for my stats.

What do you think? When do you change your home cords? Should I?

Either way one of the set of caches will be 6,000 miles away. You have to decided whether you want the korea's to be 6,000 from arizona or the arizona 6,000 miles from korea.

It depends on where you consider your 'real' home to be.

If I was living overseas (for work or whatever reason {for more than a month or two}), I would make the change.

When I moved, I would change it again.

If it were me, I would change it to where I was currently living. You can base some of the searches you make on the site based on the location identified by your home coordinates, and if you were to place any caches (probably not a good idea if you're only got be be in Korea for less than a year) the reviewer would determine whether or not it might be a "vacation" hide based on your home coordinates.

I think everyone misunderstood my question.

I am asking because i want to maintain the integrity of my finds and the related statistics that go along with them. For example, I currently live in Korea so any finds in AZ will post that i found a cache 6000+ miles away which sounds pretty impressive. Would it be better to change my home cords to arizona while i am there so all the finds are 30 miles or so then change the home cords back to korea when i return.

I am asking because i want to maintain the integrity of my finds and the related statistics that go along with them. For example, I currently live in Korea so any finds in AZ will post that i found a cache 6000+ miles away which sounds pretty impressive. Would it be better to change my home cords to arizona while i am there so all the finds are 30 miles or so then change the home cords back to korea when i return.

Just put something in your log that states you "found this cache while vacationing & visiting family". Some simple explanation should be enough to preserve the integrity of your finds.

Just put something in your log that states you "found this cache while vacationing & visiting family". Some simple explanation should be enough to preserve the integrity of your finds.

I agree. You live in Korea, your home coords should be there. They are not only there for your benefit, but for the benefit of the reviewers should you decide to hide a cache.

When you click on the "Search for nearest geocaches from your home coordinates" link, which caches do you want to see listed?

This, plus you want the reviewers to see that you live close enough to your owned caches that you will be able to maintain them when you are ready to hide some.

There's nothing wrong with changing home coords, people do it all the time.

If you use GSAK and FSG to monitor your stats, the FSG has an option to set multiple home coordinates with different date ranges. Say from June 05 to May 08 you lived in one place, you'd put in those coordinates with the appropriate date range, then you'd put in the next set of coordinates, etc. depending on how often you move. This way your stats are always accurate, your "closest find" would be the one closest to your home coordinates at the time you lived there. On my stats, my "closest find" is from several years ago, when I lived somewhere else. It's not the closest to my current home, but it's the closest to my home of that time.