Japan Earthquake/Asia-Pacific Tsunami relief coin

ECplus3

I've decided to give 2010 a miss as far as a personal coin goes, and move on to 2011. It may seem a little early to announce it, but I need some help with the design.

Next year I will be travelling to Japan with others from my church to help missionaries in the town of Noto in Ishikawa prefecture. I decided to commemorate the trip on my 2011 coin and want to include Japanese text. I was able to translate "Found It!" with some help, but have not been able to find a translation for "Trackable at geocaching.com". The text on the coin was obtained from Google translate, which I am not willing to stake anything on. :unsure:

There will be two different versions of this coin. The front will be the same on both (not pictured) but the backs will be different. This is the one that I will be taking with me and dropping in all caches that I find. Unless I do some travelling there won't be many finds: there are only 10 caches in the whole prefecture! :unsure:

The other version will be my personal for trades and dropping locally.

I'll be revealing the other artwork closer to the minting date. But I'll say that this will be a 2" coin because of the detail required on the other side.

So anyway, if anybody out there can help me with the translation, please drop me a line!

PHD11101_back.jpg

PS: I believe this also satisfies someone else's request for a manga-inspired coin. :unsure:

Edited by Eartha

Hah! I like it! But...is there any way to make the character look a little more happy, and a little less angry? Unless, of course, he's chasing someone off his FTF! ; )

I hadn't thought about it, but I guess it does look like he's snarling. I do sometimes feel like that after a find that has taken me way longer than it should have! :laughing:

How's this though:

PHD11101_back2.jpg

I also think I have the correct Japanese in there now. I hope anyway. :D

... if anybody out there can help me with the translation, please drop me a line!

Drop tozainamboku a line through his profile. He speaks and writes fluent Japanese (all flavors, as far as I can tell), and will almost-certainly be willing to help you avoid writing something scatalogical or just plain embarrassing by mistake :lol::lol:

Hehe! Love it.

I think he looks much happier now too. My only con crit is I kinda wish he had a neck....disembodied heads always freak me out...but that may ruin the sunburst design a bit. And I may move the 2011 to a different line (maybe one under your username) because at first read I read "Trackable at 2011"...but that may just be me.

I love the anime side of the coin Chuck but the Kabuki side I am not too crazy about. Besides the geocaching symbol on his pants there is not much else caching related so it doesn't flow with the first side of the coin. It's a great picture, just not caching related.

unless your a ninja...:P

Well, I love the Samurai side. It's awesome! : ) It's clear he's wiping off the blade of his katana -- how 'bout you make the bamboo in the back thicker, but all cut and sliced (think the scene from The Seven Samurai in which the samurai go into the bamboo thicket finding all of the bamboo cut by Kikuchiyo in his rage), as if he's just been bushwacking to get to the cache?

Even if you leave the bamboo as it is, tho, I like it a LOT. : )

Well, it is official. The Japan trip has been cancelled. :(

Our prospective hosts in Japan just can't come up with accommodations for us in Ishikawa Prefecture.

We're now investigating whether other missionaries we support could use our help AND give us a place to stay. Looks like it might be Bosnia, Russia, or Togo now.

Russia has just shy of 200 caches and Bosnia has 44 caches.

There is only one cache in Togo, and it looks to have been muggled. :(

I really like this design, so I will be using it anyway, despite my cancelled trip. It will not be a personal coin.

Instead, I want to donate the net proceeds from this coin to the Canadian Red Cross for their Japan Earthquake/Asia-Pacific Tsunami relief effort.

Here is the first draft of the artwork received back from the mint.

PHD11900_art.jpg

Sorry to hear about your trip to Japan being cancelled.

It is a great coin. I am glad you are going ahead with the coin and donating the profits to the Japan relief effort. I have added it to my wanted list (in case any Canadians have me to send something to in future missions!)

Happy Canada Day! :D