About the new UV light attribute required

Rhialto

Was taking a look at attributes and found a few news ones I wasn't aware of. Nice!

I saw the 1st icon with colors, the UV Light required attribute UV-yes.gif and that's reminded me about the idea I had once of using UV for a cache. I believed it would have to be a Mystery because of having a required item to be able to find.

Now that there is this attribute, does it make it possible to have a Traditional with that attribute?

___

And about new attributes, I liked spazierenmitziel Add "Clean Caches" / "Tuxedo" Attribute suggestion on the feedback system.

It would be great to have an attribute indicating whether one can search this cache in business cloth without destroying or soiling it.

I often try to find some caches while being on a business trip and such an attribute would be very helpful!

If you also think it's a good idea, go support it!

This is my suggestion for that icon bt.png

The need for special equipment might affect the cache's difficulty/terrain rating, but it doesn't (directly) affect its type.

With that said, a Multi-Cache could require a UV light to see the information about the next stage, and a puzzle multi-cache (listed as a Mystery/Puzzle Cache) could require a UV light to solve an on-site puzzle. But I think it would be difficult to place a Traditional cache that required a UV light. Not impossible, but difficult.

Speaking of the new attribute, why?

I mean, if we have a "UV Needed" attribute, why don't we have a "Screwdriver Needed" attribute, or more specifically, "Phillips Screwdriver Needed" and "Regular Screwdriver Needed" attributes. Why not "100 Feet of Rope Needed" or "2 Quarts of Water" or . . . :laughing:

Well, you get the idea.

Besides, the few caches I've heard of that actually required UV light were puzzles that would have been spoiled if they used the attribute.

And before people start in with "Two Quarts of Water?? C'mon now, Too Tall, how many caches require two quarts of water?", the answer is for caches I've seen & heard about, there were more that required water than required UV Light.

Oh, but I do like the new "Sioneva" attribute:

8421a7fa-c494-4535-9326-bc16d30ca1e1.jpg

:)

Edited by Too Tall John

I mean, if we have a "UV Needed" attribute, why don't we have a "Screwdriver Needed" attribute, or more specifically, "Phillips Screwdriver Needed" and "Regular Screwdriver Needed" attributes. Why not "100 Feet of Rope Needed" or "2 Quarts of Water" or . . . :laughing:

Well, you get the idea.

I agree... in over 5,000 caches I've only seen one that required a blacklight. Is this really common enough to deserve it's own attribute?

I agree with Too Tall John.

There are several caches around here that require UV lights. There have been a couple group purchases of UV lights and there are a bunch of people eager to put them to use. But even around here, I don't think there are really enough to deserve an attribute.

I mean, if we have a "UV Needed" attribute, why don't we have a "Screwdriver Needed" attribute, or more specifically, "Phillips Screwdriver Needed" and "Regular Screwdriver Needed" attributes. Why not "100 Feet of Rope Needed" or "2 Quarts of Water" or . . . :anibad:

Well, you get the idea.

Besides, the few caches I've heard of that actually required UV light were puzzles that would have been spoiled if they used the attribute.

And before people start in with "Two Quarts of Water?? C'mon now, Too Tall, how many caches require two quarts of water?", the answer is for caches I've seen & heard about, there were more that required water than required UV Light.

Oh, but I do like the new "Sioneva" attribute:

8421a7fa-c494-4535-9326-bc16d30ca1e1.jpg

:(

I have a cache that requires 4 quarts of water or a zipit :laughing:

To answer an earlier question:

You can have a UV traditional by giving the correct location, having the container locked, and the combination written in UV ink on or near the container.

Since the cache is actually at the listed coordinates, you COULD do that. But I wouldn't. You are going to get a lot of people who load a PQ into their GPSr and find the cache, then have no idea how to get into it.

I'd say what you've described is a mystery. There is no rule that says a mystery cannot be at the listed coordinates.

Well, you get the idea.

I agree... in over 5,000 caches I've only seen one that required a blacklight. Is this really common enough to deserve it's own attribute?

I'll ask a few questions:

How many caches have you found that used the "night cache" attribute? Or the "snow shoes" required attribute? Or the hazards "hunting" or "Abandoned Mines" attributes? Maybe even "Watch for Livestock" attribute? In some areas, maybe you've see these attributes used rarely if even, other areas maybe a little more often.

I believe the "UV light Required" attribute was created to incourage more of these types of hides to be developed.

I had one published a few weeks ago and did it only because of the new attribute. I don't think I would have thought of this approach without spotting the new attribute. I have plans for two more UV light required hides.

I'll ask a few questions:

How many caches have you found that used the "night cache" attribute? Or the "snow shoes" required attribute? Or the hazards "hunting" or "Abandoned Mines" attributes? Maybe even "Watch for Livestock" attribute? In some areas, maybe you've see these attributes used rarely if even, other areas maybe a little more often.

I believe the "UV light Required" attribute was created to incourage more of these types of hides to be developed.

I had one published a few weeks ago and did it only because of the new attribute. I don't think I would have thought of this approach without spotting the new attribute. I have plans for two more UV light required hides.

I don't do night caches. (Okay. I did one, but did it during daylight.)

"Abandoned mines"? 10 or 15. And I have several hidden myself.

"hunting" Quite a number! There's lot of hunting in North Jersey! (No hunting on Sundays, though.)

"Livestock". Hmmm... Large dangerous animals. I use that for bear. Large dangerous animals. If they get a 'bear' attribute, I'll use that instead.

What about using UV marks to help finding the cache location?! Like painting a small sign only visible with UV light. I wouldn't say it's a "UV required" but would help.

Is this acceptable?

In this case should be listed with UV light attibute ore just mention it in the hint?

In that case, I'd say having the attribute would be a hint in itself. If it's really impossible to find the cache without the UV, I'd be tempted to make it a puzzle cache even if it's at the posted coordinates, but I assume this is the case for a traditional with UV attributes that people were thinking about when they posted to this thread when it was new, oh those many years ago.

Well, you get the idea.

I've been geocaching for about six years and have never seen a cache which required a UV light. Meanwhile new power trails seem to pop up every day and there have been many requests in the feature suggestion forum for a power trail attribute and all we get are crickets chirping.