Logging a cache

Hi - Sorry if this is elsewhere - I'm sure I read about it and now I can't find it....

Recently we set our first cache - and everyone appeared to be "playing the game". However, someone has now logged the cache but says in their log that they didn't do anything to it as it was too busy. One of the challenges of this particular cache is the high muggle density here...

So - is it ok for me to delete the log? Should I message the cacher first? Don't want to step on anyones toes or sound like a right old nagbag, but surely, to log the cache you must have actually found the cache, not just where it is?

thanks for your advice :unsure:

Looking at their log it appears they did find it.

If you suspect they didn't find it then check the logbook. If someone logged a find on one of my caches but I know they hadn't signed the log (I don't check unless I have to bring the logbook home) I'd delete the log as an illegitimate find.

If you are that bothered then check the logbook but like I said it appears the last part of the log suggests they did find it

***Think i looked at the wrong log....if they didn't sign the log it aint a find***

Edited by geohatter

We do not agree.

Go and check the paper log.

If their name is not there, write to them explaining that to 'find' a cache the log must be signed.

Also ask them to change their log to a 'DNF'.

If they don't do it after a few days, then delete it for them.

We have a cache that is up a tree.

Someone wrote a 'found' and said they saw the cache, but could not reach it.

We asked them to change their log to a dNF.

They did so.

"found it, but left alone due to to many people about. even in the rain?"

If this is the log in question then email them like others have said and ask did they sign the log? They may have logged it by mistake meaning to do a DNF. It does sometimes happen.

Deleting it without checking maybe seen has harsh by them.

I agree, that should not be a find.

I do think that there can be cases where a cache owner makes an exception and allows a find without a signature. For example I once found a cache, but there was a wasps nest built around the cache and I got attacked and ran without signing. I described the cache in detail to the CO and they kindly let me claim it as a find. Or if the finder doesn't have a pen but takes a photo of the log instead.

But muggles, they are part of the expected challenge.

Thanks all - your replies match my gut instincts... I have messaged the finder with a query about their log and will delete if necessary.

Its a relief to know that I'm not a complete nagbag...

***edited to add****

The finder got in touch with me and told me he could see it but could not log it without drawing attention... I'm not sure he could have seen it easily unless he actually had his hands on it... but never mind. I politely told him that it was fine, it was a hard one to sign, and that I'd delete the log for now and he could feel free to relog after he'd signed it - which he said he was going ot do...

Edited by Pippa's Crew

But muggles, they are part of the expected challenge.

Muggles may be if they are the wandering public.

But what happens when "muggles" are folk who live next to the cache and the location is right outside their house?

And they may not know that the cache has been placed there?

Is that part of the challenge too?

Muggles may be if they are the wandering public.

But what happens when "muggles" are folk who live next to the cache and the location is right outside their house?

And they may not know that the cache has been placed there?

Is that part of the challenge too?

Personally I don't like caches like that. But I still consider muggles an "expected hazard", and would not claim a find if I can't retrieve the cache due to muggles.

Why delete their log? What difference does it make to you?

If they wish to count it for whatever reason they see fit then surely that's up to them. I agree that I probably would not count it as a find myself but I understand that others play their own way and I don't know the full circumstances of their find.

After all this is a game, not a competition. Have fun and play it how you want so long as it doesn't interfere with others pleasure of the game. Deleting logs is heavy handed.

Why delete their log? What difference does it make to you?

If they wish to count it for whatever reason they see fit then surely that's up to them. I agree that I probably would not count it as a find myself but I understand that others play their own way and I don't know the full circumstances of their find.

After all this is a game, not a competition. Have fun and play it how you want so long as it doesn't interfere with others pleasure of the game. Deleting logs is heavy handed.

but that means I could count and log any number of caches that I have happened to be near at some point - and the "rules" of the game, as someone above has said, include "signing your name in the log".

In terms of what difference it makes to me - I went to the trouble of hiding a cache, I enjoyed doing it. I enjoy finding other's hides and appreciate that they do so. If I didn't sign the log because there were too many muggles, or any other excuse, it would be (imho) cheating them as well as myself...

I get that its not a competition, but it is a game, and this game has rules...

Hi - Sorry if this is elsewhere - I'm sure I read about it and now I can't find it....

Recently we set our first cache - and everyone appeared to be "playing the game". However, someone has now logged the cache but says in their log that they didn't do anything to it as it was too busy. One of the challenges of this particular cache is the high muggle density here...

So - is it ok for me to delete the log? Should I message the cacher first? Don't want to step on anyones toes or sound like a right old nagbag, but surely, to log the cache you must have actually found the cache, not just where it is?

thanks for your advice :)

Ultimately it's up to you to decide whether to accept a Found log without a mark in the log book.

Personally I take what I consider a common sense approach to determining whether to claim a Found, log a DNF or just write a note. If a cache is rated 1/1 but I can't reach it for some reason but can describe it, perhaps photograph it, or whatever, as far as I'm concerned it's a find. If I had the cache in my hand but couldn't sign the log book then it's a find. Obviously if part of the challenge is to open the container then I wouldn't claim a find unless I had opened the container and could prove it. If it's a 4/4 cache that's up a tree and I sighted it from the ground but didn't climb up I'd write a note (it's not a Find because I didn't retrieve it and it's clear the challenge is to retrieve it, but it's not a DNF in the sense I could see it was present but chose not to attempt it).

Ultimately the cache owner gets to decide whether the evidence I provided that I had found it is adequate and is free to delete the log if they choose. If someone didn't sign the log why not ask them for details of exactly what it was to ensure they were actually in the area. For myself if I don't sign the log then I take a picture of the cache in my hand, or enough evidence I was in the area and sighted the cache - while it's still at the owner's discretion whether to accept that it does make clear I was there and found their cache rather than simply sighting it from Google Street View or some such.

Obviously if part of the challenge is to open the container then I wouldn't claim a find unless I had opened the container and could prove it.

We found a cache in Newquay while on holiday, straightforward nano cache but it`s had a few problems lately and is very difficult to open, in fact going by the logs the last finders had used pliers to open it and again to close it, there was no way I could get it open. We logged it as a find, we had it in hand, we have a photo of it in hand and we can describe exactlly where it was hidden. It had been mentioned about the problems opening the cache in a few logs prior to our visit so we would be upset if our logs were removed because we didn`t sign the log, it`s not our fault we couldn`t open the cache to sign it. Should we put a needs maintainance log, since it obviously does?

Should we put a needs maintenance log, since it obviously does?

If no one else has put on a Needs Maintenance on it yet -Yes.

Just done that but I`ve noted a couple of others have done the same. Hope it doesn`t cause a problem for the owner, not that a new nano cache costs a lot.

It shouldn't cause problems - if a cache needs maintenance it needs maintenance.

I recently found a nano I couldn't open so took a photo of it in the general area (not the hiding place!) to prove I'd found it and logged both a Find and a Needs Maintenance.

I agree - we have recently had to leave a cache as there was danger of its wearabouts being given away to muggles- we left a note on the cache page stating that we didn't bother as we didnt want to compromise its hiding place - we certainly didn't count it as a find. I agree with you Pippas Crew - you have taken the time to hide it and log it on GC.com.