Can you help identify the cipher on this?

fmoraes

I love challenging caches... but not those for only the genius elite. LOL!

But that is who those most difficult puzzles were put out for. Those caches are intended to be a challenge for those that enjoy that sort of challenge. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but some of these posts make that appear to be necessary.

Indeed. There is a thriving population of Puzzle fiends who relish pitting their wits against a new challenge, or even an old challenge with a new twist. Why deny them their opportunity to enjoy their niche? Can't stand that lone 8.gif sticking out like a sore thumb in your beautiful field of smilies? <_<

*Sigh.* Never mind. This is why i hate the internet. No one ever TRULY gets what your saying, and instead decides to jump on you for just stating your opinion.

Again, its just a game, people.

But that is who those most difficult puzzles were put out for. Those caches are intended to be a challenge for those that enjoy that sort of challenge. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but some of these posts make that appear to be necessary.

Indeed. There is a thriving population of Puzzle fiends who relish pitting their wits against a new challenge, or even an old challenge with a new twist. Why deny them their opportunity to enjoy their niche? Can't stand that lone 8.gif sticking out like a sore thumb in your beautiful field of smilies? <_<

I like solving puzzles, even those that I'll never get around to finding the cache itself.

And no, there isn't a "thriving population of puzzle fiends." Judging from the number of finds on these things, most people feel as i do. At least in my area.

I like solving puzzles, even those that I'll never get around to finding the cache itself.

And no, there isn't a "thriving population of puzzle fiends." Judging from the number of finds on these things, most people feel as i do. At least in my area.

There's always the ignore option.

Also, tastes are sometimes subject to change. I like puzzles, now and then. And there's nothing quite like the rush of solving a tricky one and making that find.

"Yeah! Yeah, who's your daddy?!? Oh, yessssss! *victory dance*

I hate puzzle caches like this. I don't understand why anyone would WANT to plant a cache like this. The whole point is to find caches... not confuse your fellow cachers.
Is it difficult caches in general that you object to? Or just puzzle caches that are difficult because of the puzzle?

Sometimes, the whole point is to accomplish something difficult, whether it's difficult because of the terrain, the camouflage, the puzzle, or something else.

Just these types of puzzle caches that very few people want to decipher. These are the kind that have been around for 5 years and have 2 finds. I guess i just don't get it.

Those two finders probably had a grand time figuring it out. It would probably be disappointing if they suddenly found someone had let the cat out of the bag and 30 more folks had logged finds.

There are caches for everyone and you don't have to do them all. I am not a fan of puzzles myself, but I can understand how they could be fun for others.

I have a couple of caches out there that I hid knowing full well they weren't for everyone. But I knew that the few who would go after them would have fun.

Like I said, there are caches for everyone and you don't have to find them all.

How would you feel if folks gave out the clues and answers to your puzzles and multis here in the forums?
For that matter, how would you feel if others gave out spoilers to your regular caches here? OK, some of you wouldn't mind... its under the lamp skirt or behind the guard rail, or under the pile of sticks. But you get my drift.

I understand your drift. I wouldnt mind if someone said its a morse code cipher. They arent giving up the solution.

Yes, they are. If it is a morse they have made it a matter of transcribing instead of figuring out what it is.

Thats where you and I differ. I wouldnt mind. I can edit my post if the Frog wants me to.

I hate puzzle caches like this. I don't understand why anyone would WANT to plant a cache like this. The whole point is to find caches... not confuse your fellow cachers.

Frankly, i think putting caches like this out is bad form. Discussing it in forums such as this shouldn't be considered bad form. I wouldn't mind.

Repeat this to yourselves... ITS JUST A GAME!

really? some of us like to exercise and challenge our brain, not only the physical body

nobody says you have to do them if you don't like them, but that is no reason to hate them

i don't care if solutions are posted in other forums, discussing a puzzle in the GC forum is OK, posting the solution is a different story

we just spent 3 days trying to solve this puzzle

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3d-50239a407ce8

a couple of times it crossed my mind to ask the CO if we are on the right track but i refrained and we solved it on our own with no help and i can tell you that the satisfaction of doing it without help far exceeds any other method

ooh yes there is, we have 6 evil puzzle caches, in about a year they have anywhere between 41-60 finds

i am co-owner to them, so you won;t see them in my profile but i can give you the links if you want

Edited by t4e
How would you feel if folks gave out the clues and answers to your puzzles and multis here in the forums?
For that matter, how would you feel if others gave out spoilers to your regular caches here? OK, some of you wouldn't mind... its under the lamp skirt or behind the guard rail, or under the pile of sticks. But you get my drift.

I understand your drift. I wouldnt mind if someone said its a morse code cipher. They arent giving up the solution.

Yes, they are. If it is a morse they have made it a matter of transcribing instead of figuring out what it is.

Thats where you and I differ. I wouldnt mind. I can edit my post if the Frog wants me to.

"The frog" won't ask you to do that. We are discussing etiquette, not rules.

As for you not minding that is why I said to ask the cache owner. It is their call as to how much or how little of a hint to give. If they didn't respond I would guess they didn't want to give more hints.

My brain goes into dumb mode when I am confronted with a puzzle. So.........I go onto something else. I have, however solved one. Held the left click down as I moved the cursor on the cache page...got my answer. Also got it when I printed the cache sheet. That is the only puzzle I have ever "solved" in 3 and a half years. Do I miss puzzles? Nope. Do I wish I could solve them? Yep. Maybe that is a project I should undertake in the winter months......

As for you not minding that is why I said to ask the cache owner. It is their call as to how much or how little of a hint to give. If they didn't respond I would guess they didn't want to give more hints.

Not to be mean, but can you show me where the etiquette section is so I can read it?

*Sigh.* Never mind. This is why i hate the internet. No one ever TRULY gets what your saying, and instead decides to jump on you for just stating your opinion.

Again, its just a game, people.

It has nothing to do with the internet. It has to do with written communication, something that humankind has been working on for a long time. Remember "letters"? You may have written one to your grandfather. Did you say something that he took offense to? Probably not. The only difference is one of pen on paper, or digital encoding. Oh, and the lack of emoticons on the former.

Puzzle caches are placed for puzzle solvers. Sorry, but that is life. Mountain climbing caches are place for mountain climbers. Scuba caches are placed for scuba divers. Skirt lifters are placed for shoppers. Deal with it.

That depends. Sometimes it may not be obvious that it's morse code. Morse code is typically transcribed as a series of periods and dash characters. Periods and dashes are just symbols. One could use any other pair of symbols to transcribe more code. For example, one could use an odd number to represent a dot, and an even number to represent a dash, or 12468 75240 could first be transcribed to .---- ..--- which could then be transcribed to 1 2. If you didn't know that the puzzle was based on morse code it might be fairly difficult, but if went to the forums, and asked "what kind of code is this" and someone that had solved the puzzle wrote that it was morse code the difficulty level would go down. If a CO created a puzzle and assigned it a difficulty level of 3, and someone provides information on a public forum which effectively reduces the difficulty to a 2 it essentially circumvents the freedom of a hider to create a 3 star difficulty cache. It should be up to the cache owner to determine whether or not they want to provide additional information that might make it easier to find than it's published difficulty level.

Yes, not all puzzles are easy or provide an obvious path to a solution, but most, if approached logically can eventually be solved. As a general approach, I'll often write down a list of premises one can make about the puzzle. For example, at the end of the day you're solving for a set of coordinates. The coordinates typically consist of 15 (or 14 if you remove a leading zero) and the first two digits of each coordinate is probably the same as the published coordinate. In the example above, if it was written as a series of 15 groups of 5 digits each I would presume that each group of five digits represents a single number. Now, what kind of code uses five symbols to represent a number? Morse code.

Logic based puzzles are extremely popular. Sudoku is a good example.

Not to be mean, but can you show me where the etiquette section is so I can read it?
As it relates to this issue, it's in post #2.

About the only specific question that 'should' be asked in a forum, possibly, is whether a puzzle is solvable...

Many people will offer up that they managed it or not... once that is answered, the discussion should preferably be between the CO and the cacher, or failing that, the cacher might team up, or seek a mentor in private (via email for example). Even simple discussions on the forums sometimes have resulted in an over eager 'helper' blurting out a solution or precise method... Something that should not be possible given that it requires typing out then posting it! It can happen inadvertently of course, sometimes as a result of several, by themselves, innocent comments about the puzzle from different posters... say several people typing at the same moment, not realizing that someone else was doing the same thing giving away another piece of the pie... it happens. Yes it is or No I don't think so is safer here. On another thread, several of us commented on the rating of another puzzle... It was basically fine... not high or low... I did turn up a minor typo in the final coordinates, that has now been fixed... Vetting a cache like that (or beta testing) is a good thing. Some of us find it as interesting as going for the cache itself... But some people don't share that opinion, and they are entitled to that... Have fun your way!

Doug 7rxc

Frankly, i think putting caches like this out is bad form. Discussing it in forums such as this shouldn't be considered bad form. I wouldn't mind.

Actually, the point of the game is to find the kind of caches that YOU enjoy finding, just like the other side of the coin is to HIDE the kind of caches that you enjoy finding... That ensures that everyone gets what they want, and to a certain extent, deserve. That even goes for LPC's and super evil puzzles.

Anything that spoils someones pleasure is, indeed, BAD FORM.

Doug 7rxc

I was with you on the first part, but you lost me there at the end. What if someone's main interest is in racking up smilies for every single cache within a 100 mile radius, and this here darned puzzle is putting a crimp in them plans?

I fully agree that there should be caches that appeal to different tastes (I prefer puzzles myself), but there are those who just can't stand to not find every cache.

I fear that some people's pleasure is, indeed, going to be spoiled. :unsure:

Actually, the point of the game is to find the kind of caches that YOU enjoy finding, just like the other side of the coin is to HIDE the kind of caches that you enjoy finding... That ensures that everyone gets what they want, and to a certain extent, deserve. That even goes for LPC's and super evil puzzles.

Doug 7rxc

I was with you on the first part, but you lost me there at the end. What if someone's main interest is in racking up smilies for every single cache within a 100 mile radius, and this here darned puzzle is putting a crimp in them plans?

I fully agree that there should be caches that appeal to different tastes (I prefer puzzles myself), but there are those who just can't stand to not find every cache.

Posting help on the forums tends to peave some cache owners leading them to archive their very good caches. This results in future cachers not being able to go after such caches. Therefore, the posting of help in the forums have spoiled the fun of these future cachers.

Posting help on the forums tends to peave some cache owners leading them to archive their very good caches. This results in future cachers not being able to go after such caches. Therefore, the posting of help in the forums have spoiled the fun of these future cachers.

I definitely agree that posting puzzle help can leave a bad taste in the CO's mouth. In my post, I was questioning the possibility of EVERYONE being happy with geocaching.

If you make hard puzzles, the puzzle lovers will be delighted and rub their hands with glee, but those who just want to go out and collect smilies will be peeved.

If you just put out easy to find caches/easy puzzles, those of us who like a challenge will be disappointed and wish for more.

My point was, you CAN'T make everyone happy. Just how it goes. Complaining about a hard cache is kind of silly, though. That's like saying I like math, but those darn partial differentials just aren't fair!

Doug 7rxc

Two "help me solve this puzzle" threads going on at the same time. Interesting. The point here is searchable, online spoilers. I'll mention for the third time in this thread (I think) that puzzle cheating websites have been shut down, and a very well-known cacher got banned (albeit for a month or two) for posting other people's puzzle cache solutions on facebook.

So these people you mention can just do what the "have to find every cache numbers people" in my area do. Share their solutions with each other privately. :unsure:

But that is your interpretation. There is no where on any of the Ground Speak pages that states this is etiquette. So show me where it states it. And if you say refer to post 2 again than someone should actually help you read.

BTW, what's wrong with helping someone out if they ask for it?
Again, the problem isn't helping someone who asks for help.

The problem is posting puzzle solutions/spoilers in a public forum like this, where they will remain online and searchable for the life of the cache. Please take discussions about the details of specific puzzle caches somewhere else, to a more private communication medium.

It would not bother me a bit. I place caches to be found. The reason I placed two puzzle caches, one because I thought the location was not great and wanted to provide some adventure. It actually turned out to be pretty good. The second turned out to be really great. I got snowed in for two days and created an Altoid tin puzzle cache that could be solved two ways. The first, by solving the technical puzzle, the second by simply reading the cache description. A friend of mine who claims she has no brains for puzzle caches was driving by the cache site with some kids in the car and questioned herself, "Why did he say that in the cache listing? The cache was found without a GPS. I really liked that. Very smart, in my opinion.

The top morse code is 6 E B R I D G E. But I have no idea what the rest is.

That's actually not what it is, and I'm glad you can't figure out the rest -- evidently, you'd post the solution here, which is totally not appropriate. :laughing:

And the worst part is all-pro NFL wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald would get blamed for it. :laughing:

The top morse code is - - - - - - - -. But I have no idea what the rest is.

That's actually not what it is, and I'm glad you can't figure out the rest -- evidently, you'd post the solution here, which is totally not appropriate. :laughing:

And the worst part is all-pro NFL wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald would get blamed for it. :laughing:

OMG, what is the problem with putting your favorite ball player as your avatar?

And if you notice, I edited my post. Maybe he should not have quoted my post if it was that wrong for me to post it.

I fear that some people's pleasure is, indeed, going to be spoiled. :laughing:

It may simply be the usage of 'spoil' that confuses things... I think that the deliberate or even unintentional action of doing something to mess up someones enjoyment is indeed bad form. Your example of the 'must log every cache in 100 mile radius is OK... that cacher decided on a goal and that will be their enjoyment.

However, having decided to accomplish that task, THEY accepted the need to do what is neccessary to achieve that goal... even if it means solving (or otherwise obtaining the coordinates) for a puzzle, a multi final or even climbing a tree or cliff. I'd be up to something like that for a challenge. I have no problem dealing with reasonable tasks... I do have some problems with pure radius measurements due to mountains, rivers, etc. but I'm doing fine getting around those obstacles. Go around, over, or even through in one case. It's all fine IF and When I care to do it... I like that sort of thing... same for puzzles, even if I'm tempted to reconsider that on a FEW of them I'm attempting... love hate relationship for some. People can have whatever opinions they like in my book. THEY have to take any flak generated, not me.

Got to get back to a few ornery puzzles when I find time... my first rule is that they are usually much easier than at first viewing... if not, take one step back, one to the right or left and then look at it again.

Works out in the field as well.

Doug 7rxc

there's nothing wrong with that, just learn to ignore those that have a problem with it

by removing it all you're doing is give them the satisfaction of managing to get to you

The forum is still not the place to deal with that angst. Email the cache owner, so the solution will be just between the two of you, and not available to anyone, forever. Be frank with the cache owner and simply say that you don't like puzzles/suck at solving them, but really want to clear the area out/know how the puzzle works (or whatever) and see if they are willing to help you out. If they are not willing to help in an email, they sure as heck are not willing to have it solved on a public forum.

But that is your interpretation. There is no where on any of the Ground Speak pages that states this is etiquette. So show me where it states it. And if you say refer to post 2 again than someone should actually help you read.

Etiquette does not come from Groundspeak. Etiquette is decided by those that came before you. That is true in geocaching, the internet, and the dinner table. You have been informed as to the established etiquette. You can chose to speak with your mouth full of food, or you can politely chew and swallow before opening your mouth. One behavior will be considered polite, the other rude. Pretty simple stuff, it would seem.

there's nothing wrong with that, just learn to ignore those that have a problem with it

by removing it all you're doing is give them the satisfaction of managing to get to you

Whoa. I hope t43 doesn't mean I had a problem with it. I merely made a joke. What did you remove it for?

Btw, I'm from Buffalo, and I resisted the temptation to change my avatar to OJ Simpson for this post. Would have been funny though, eh?

Etiquette does not come from Groundspeak. Etiquette is decided by those that came before you. That is true in geocaching, the internet, and the dinner table. You have been informed as to the established etiquette. You can chose to speak with your mouth full of food, or you can politely chew and swallow before opening your mouth. One behavior will be considered polite, the other rude. Pretty simple stuff, it would seem.

If I may add to what you've said here, I think etiquette goes a bit deeper than simply accepting the mores of those who have gone before us. Customs and attitudes change with changing culture/the passage of time, so we can't just look to history to tell us what to do.

What underlies the concept of what's acceptable is how a particular behavior affects us. Talk with a big mouth full of food, and you sound disgusting. No great mystery -- simple consideration (being polite) indicates that one not be the source of revulsion at the dinner table.

Likewise, a CO who takes the time to create a puzzle cache does so with the intention of giving cachers something to solve. If they didn't want someone to work for the cache, they would have simply put out a traditional cache.

That being said, most CO's who have puzzle caches are pretty good about giving nudges on their puzzles -- after all, the idea is for people to solve them and actually find the cache.

I'm happy to give any help on my puzzles I'm asked for, short of simply giving someone the coordinates. I do expect at least a decent effort to solve a puzzle, before someone can claim to have solved it and get the cache.

Whoa. I hope t4e doesn't mean I had a problem with it. I merely made a joke. What did you remove it for?

Btw, I'm from Buffalo, and I resisted the temptation to change my avatar to OJ Simpson for this post. Would have been funny though, eh?

It's always better when things are spelt out though :laughing:

This is not meant as a pop at anyone, just a link to a website which has pictures of some very funny signs.

Edited as this is meant as a humorous aside and I wanted to make that clear

Edited by Lovejoy & Tinker

Whoa. I hope t4e doesn't mean I had a problem with it. I merely made a joke. What did you remove it for?

for those of us that have been around for a while, we're used to each others sense of humor

seeing that he is new, he probably didn't realize you were joking, and took it personally :laughing:

for those of us that have been around for a while, we're used to each others sense of humor

seeing that he is new, he probably didn't realize you were joking, and took it personally :laughing:

Sorry, but my first post someone was openly hostile about it. I let it go then but then someone else said something about it so I figured there was some issue with it.

I understand what you are saying here. Can we create a thread then that outlines what the etiquette on the boards is when it comes to caches? This thread being a case in point. This way things can be discussed, and we will have a set etiquette guideline which we can refer to in situations like this.

Sorry, but my first post someone was openly hostile about it. I let it go then but then someone else said something about it so I figured there was some issue with it.

no need to be sorry and yes, i've seen that, that's why i said to ignore the comments :laughing:

now put back your avatar :laughing:

no need to be sorry and yes, i've seen that, that's why i said to ignore the comments :D

now put back your avatar :P

Put back the Larry Fitzgerald avatar!! You don't want to tick me off. Sorry, couldn't resist. :laughing:

no need to be sorry and yes, i've seen that, that's why i said to ignore the comments :D

Put back the Larry Fitzgerald avatar!! You don't want to tick me off. Sorry, couldn't resist. :laughing:

I don't care what avatar you use Mr. Yuck, you are not getting the memorabilia back.

I don't care what avatar you use Mr. Yuck, you are not getting the memorabilia back.

does that include the glove? didn't fit anyway

Have you asked the cache owner? It has long been considered "bad form" to come to the forums looking for help solving a puzzle cache.

Uh... were you just throwing a reminder up there? Your statement sounds somehow familiar....

Oh yeah:

Have you asked the cache owner? It has long been considered "bad form" to come to the forums looking for help solving a puzzle cache.

Doug 7rxc

+1

I enjoy extremely challenging puzzles. It's a break from the normal caching routine for me, and I feel very accomplished when I solve one. I think they are fun!

We all like different stuff; and some people enjoy taking this game more seriously than you do, and that's okay. Telling everyone that "it's just a game" doesn't really help anything. I will expound upon that and say, just let people be. If they want to take something seriously, that's fine; and if they want to make difficult puzzles, that's just fine also.