What do you like the most about geocaching?

alexparent

my hubby works full time and I am a med student - he has to work a lot of over time to make up our money - even so the money is still very very tight, so many months there is far too much month left at the end of the money. So we use geocaching as a way to spend quality time together at little expense. We try to save fuel money to put in the car and we take a picnic with us and go on long walks. We recently did an 11 mile walk (with our 9 year old daughter) - got 41 caches. We love every minute of it and we are spending very little money are getting great exercise. Our family has really improved its relationship with each other since we got into caching - no more bored days doing nothing and getting on each others nerves.

I started geocaching because I found the menu on the gps I bought for hiking and got curious. I haven't done a lot of them yet but the ones I have done have taken me to some interesting places I would not have found otherwise.

I went on vacation and took my gps and picked up a couple of earthcaches. That was nice because while I would have gone to those places anyway, having the earthcache showed me a little more about what I was seeing than I otherwise would have known.

It's hot here though. I think this will be more fun in the fall.

And you, what do you like the most about geocaching?

GEOCACHERS!

This activity/sport/hobby/obsession exists ONLY by the good graces of the next guy that wants to hide a cache. :D

All the rest is secondary to the folks who volunteer their time, money, and effort to make it all work and give everyone at any level of ability something fun to do in their spare time. :D

Edited by Snoogans

I just discovered geocaching and absolutely fell in love with it. I think it's a good way to discover new places that you would never thought of going.

In many ways, it's an exciting activities.

My husband and I just started Geocaching and really enjoy it. We are senior citizens on a fixed income and find this very affordable and can pick caches the meet our limited abilities - unable to walk long distances or climb up or down. We started when we were out of town and saw many things we would not have found without the cache listings. Find we have to hold off a little in this hot weather but can get one in very early now and then. Can't wait for the cooler mornings to return so we can go out again.

I LOVE being outdoors and hiking and such, but at the same time I do enjoy maximizing the number of caches I find while on a trip. I usually wont go on a hike for just 1 cache, i try to find hikes with series, or multiples caches along the route. Mix in some OCD and ADD-like tendencies and Geocaching becomes an extremely satisfying hobby for people like me.

That, and THE HUNT. I love the satisfaction of successfully hunting the cache. That's human nature tho it seems.

Edited by Dragery

We started mainly as an inexpensive way to kill some time. But I would have to say now that what we enjoy most is the places it has taken us that we would have never gone are amazing. The parks we never knew of even close to home. The senic trails and awsome views at some of the caches we have found. We do a lot of off roading with our Jeeps and have found quite a few along the trails we travel and have found trails we never knew existed. It's just a great way to find new places and to spend time with your family. It's also a great way to get much needed exersize.

I like the fact that it's a hobby that spans the generations: It can be enjoyed, in varying ways, from 1 year old to 91 years old. There's something for everyone, whatever their physical abilities. It's a wonderfully inclusive hobby.

I like the fact that it's (almost) global. We're in different countries/states/terrains/climates but we're all playing the basic game in similar ways which means we can relate to other cachers' experiences.

MrsB

I like getting outside and going places.

Some are pleasant, some less so, while others are outstanding places to visit.

Back when I first played Seven Cities of Gold on my computer I loved it for the exploration aspect (and you can actually leave caches in that game!)

I once lived in Michigan, where going outside at certain times of the year required some thought and effort, I still went out, but sometimes just to drive somewhere and sit in my car because it was raining or too cold to stay in the wind for long.

I now live in a Mediterranean climate, which means it can rain buckets, have high winds and occasional cold periods, but generally is mild most of the year, between the mid 40's and mid 70's. Most congenial for running amok on an almost daily basis (this probably has something to do with some of the most prolific geocachers living around here.)

Good weather, plenty of places to explore and geocaching is just enough of a hook to encourage me to get out and go. :D

I just discovered geocaching and absolutely fell in love with it. I think it's a good way to discover new places that you would never thought of going.

In many ways, it's an exciting activities.

I like that its a way to get your excersise in. Im very new to this and have found 2 cach so far and i love it. Im also looking ot meet new people and make friends too.

my hubby works full time and I am a med student - he has to work a lot of over time to make up our money - even so the money is still very very tight, so many months there is far too much month left at the end of the money. So we use geocaching as a way to spend quality time together at little expense. We try to save fuel money to put in the car and we take a picnic with us and go on long walks. We recently did an 11 mile walk (with our 9 year old daughter) - got 41 caches. We love every minute of it and we are spending very little money are getting great exercise. Our family has really improved its relationship with each other since we got into caching - no more bored days doing nothing and getting on each others nerves.

Your daughter will eventually get bored of it when she reaches the dreaded teen years. But still get out there and cache with your husband

Your daughter will eventually get bored of it when she reaches the dreaded teen years. But still get out there and cache with your husband

not necessarily, my tenage son and his girlfriend love coming out caching with us

as for me - most of what I love about caching has been covered - how it takes us to amazing places, is cheap/free, gives us ways to spend quality time with the kids, gets us exercising, etc

I like exploring and hiking, so this is a perfect combination.

I also enjoy person history...so I relish in all the cemetary (especially when a history is given about an individual(s) the location) and caches at historic (especially obscurely historic).

AND...i've become rather fat and lazy over the last few years...so this has given me a good reason to get up and get moving.