Where have all the missing T.B.'s gone?

KenandSandy

It is becoming more and more frequent that I find a cache that is listed as having trackables in it only to find no trace of them. This is not only discouraging for the cacher, but it is really rude to the person who owns the trackable. Please if you remove a T.B. or a geocoin from a cache, take the time to log it so the owner can keep track of it.

This comes up from time to time. You can help by logging a note on the cache page (or including in your "found it" log) that says "trackables x, y and z were not found in this cache" and posting a note to the traveler's page that lets the owner know that their TB/coin was not in the cache.

Beyond that, you can add the TB/coin to your watch list and keep and eye on it. If the owner of the trackable or the cache doesn't remove the trackable or it isn't picked up by another cacher in a few weeks then you can contact a reviewer or Eartha the TB admin and give them the details with a polite request to move the trackable to an unknown location.

It is becoming more and more frequent that I find a cache that is listed as having trackables in it only to find no trace of them. This is not only discouraging for the cacher, but it is really rude to the person who owns the trackable. Please if you remove a T.B. or a geocoin from a cache, take the time to log it so the owner can keep track of it.

unfortunately this happens all the time and is the risk you take when you release a TB or GC. But I agree with you - it is very frustrating when you go to a cache expecting to find a trackable and it has gone. As a cache owner I do always read my cache logs and make trackable owners aware if their item is not in my cache as thought.

This and "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" will never be answered. It is a pain to see a TB listed and think you can help it on the mission only to find out it isn't there.

You can help by logging a note on the cache page (or including in your "found it" log) that says "trackables x, y and z were not found in this cache" and posting a note to the traveler's page that lets the owner know that their TB/coin was not in the cache.

This is good advice. It helps the owner and fellow cachers both.

I started my very first TB going a few weeks ago, and placed it in a geo-post office, figuring someone would pick it up and get it going. There have been two logs at the cache since I placed it, and the most recent log stated that there were no trackable items in the cache, and my TB is still in the cache inventory. I have to assume that the log in between is the person who took it, and it happens to be a brand new cacher with only a handful of finds.

I've been watching the cache and my TB for the past week and a half with no activity. I find this amazingly frustrating, but I guess there isn't much I can do except perhaps send an email to the person I think took the TB without logging it, and ask them to do so...

I started my very first TB going a few weeks ago, and placed it in a geo-post office, figuring someone would pick it up and get it going. There have been two logs at the cache since I placed it, and the most recent log stated that there were no trackable items in the cache, and my TB is still in the cache inventory. I have to assume that the log in between is the person who took it, and it happens to be a brand new cacher with only a handful of finds.

I've been watching the cache and my TB for the past week and a half with no activity. I find this amazingly frustrating, but I guess there isn't much I can do except perhaps send an email to the person I think took the TB without logging it, and ask them to do so...

As you suspect that it may have been collected by a "brand new cacher" then I think it would be fine to send them a (very) friendly email enquiring whether they have it and offering assistance with logging it out of the cache if they need it.

MrsB :unsure:

FWIW:

I can't help but feel that folks do not understand that T.B.'s and GeoCoins are not swag.

Additionally, I believe there is a lack of understanding over the procedures involved. Not to mention confusion about how to complete those procedures

I am new to geocaching and had one of our first bugs go missing pretty quickly because it wasn't logged as being picked up. Apparently someone swapped it for another (and didn't log the drop on the other one either). I'm not terribly upset over it, but it is disappointing about the lack of understanding of procedures as you said. I tried to straighten things out by logging the bug that is physically there and showing mine as missing. At least the cache contents is correct now and one previously MIA bug is showing its correct location. I'm sure mine will show up eventually. :(

When we decided to try geocaching I spent hours (literally) reading FAQs, this forum, as well as other sites about how this "game" is played, paying close attention to travel bugs and coins because I wanted to make sure I did things correctly. Hopefully I handled this swapped bug thing correctly, at least I think I did. I do think that part of the problem is that it takes some hunting around to know exactly what to do with these trackables when you find them.

I started a thread a few days ago suggesting that the picking up of bugs or coins should be brought to the user's attention when logging a visit (much like it is when logging a visit while you show trackables in your inventory). I think it would at least help, and hopefully it will get some attention from the powers that be. The idea being that just before or after the box where you choose your log type, it would ask you if you picked up any trackables from the cache, maybe with links to more info, etc. As it is now, you need to go to a totally separate section of the site (trackables as opposed to caches) to log a trackable.... very easily missed unless you are looking for it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=256974

Edited by The Dommer Party

I started a thread a few days ago suggesting that the picking up of bugs or coins should be brought to the user's attention when logging a visit (much like it is when logging a visit while you show trackables in your inventory).

I read your thread. (Paragraphs would have helped) The fundamental problem is that it is difficult to determine whether or not the logger picked up any travel bug from the cache. I wouldn't be opposed to a partial segment that reminded people about bugs or a click here to learn, but no pop-up, click here to clear kind of thing.

Clarify your presentation and you might get a better response.

I started a thread a few days ago suggesting that the picking up of bugs or coins should be brought to the user's attention when logging a visit (much like it is when logging a visit while you show trackables in your inventory).

I read your thread. (Paragraphs would have helped) The fundamental problem is that it is difficult to determine whether or not the logger picked up any travel bug from the cache. I wouldn't be opposed to a partial segment that reminded people about bugs or a click here to learn, but no pop-up, click here to clear kind of thing.

Clarify your presentation and you might get a better response.

Yeah, I tried editing that post right after I submitted it because it removed all of my line breaks. I've since discovered that shift+enter seems to help retain them rather than just enter. Never saw that problem before. I will clean it up a bit.

Edit: Well, I guess it's too late to edit it now. :(

Edit 2: Okay, I posted a follow-up with line breaks and also attached an image showing a quick mock up of what I had in mind.

Edited by The Dommer Party
As you suspect that it may have been collected by a "brand new cacher" then I think it would be fine to send them a (very) friendly email enquiring whether they have it and offering assistance with logging it out of the cache if they need it.

MrsB :(

Well I sent the person a very friendly email instructing them on how to log a TB and haven't had a response in the week since. I've been watching their profile, and they haven't logged any cache finds since they presumably took the TB. They had 11 finds when I first realized they took the TB, and still have the same amount, 2 weeks later. I guess they aren't very active.

I attached the tag to a $5 mini beanie baby I bought, because I thought it would be nice. I feel like this inexperienced and inactive cacher has cost me $12 (including the TB tag).

All I can do is hope that this person caches ever again, and brings my TB along for the ride, to drop off. Then at least someone else can discover it, and get it in circulation. Right now, my very first TB is in limbo after not even being logged as picked up ONCE. On its page, it still says it's in the same cache I put it in to start with.

This is absolutely torturous, and has really soured my outlook on TBs as a whole. I realize there was some risk involved with it, but man!

MrsB :)

Well I sent the person a very friendly email instructing them on how to log a TB and haven't had a response in the week since. I've been watching their profile, and they haven't logged any cache finds since they presumably took the TB. They had 11 finds when I first realized they took the TB, and still have the same amount, 2 weeks later. I guess they aren't very active.

I attached the tag to a $5 mini beanie baby I bought, because I thought it would be nice. I feel like this inexperienced and inactive cacher has cost me $12 (including the TB tag).

All I can do is hope that this person caches ever again, and brings my TB along for the ride, to drop off. Then at least someone else can discover it, and get it in circulation. Right now, my very first TB is in limbo after not even being logged as picked up ONCE. On its page, it still says it's in the same cache I put it in to start with.

This is absolutely torturous, and has really soured my outlook on TBs as a whole. I realize there was some risk involved with it, but man!

Ooooooo! the stresses and torments of being a new TB parent! :P:D

I've just had a look at your Slush Puppy - very cute.

Now, let me just say that you dropped it off into the cache on 1st August and today's the 19th. Nineteen days is nothing in the traveling life of your average TB. Just wait until you get about 20 out in circulation -You could be in a permanent state of anxiety - I think the term is "helicopter parenting"? :(

Seriously though, you have done all you can for the moment. It's recommended that when cachers pick up a trackable they should try to move it on into another cache within 2-3 weeks... which is all fine and dandy if (a.) the cachers who pick it up know that, and (b.) they're the sort of people who have time to go caching every week. Many people don't.

Just wait now... for another 2-3 weeks... and see what happens. If it doesn't get correctly retrieved/dropped off then try another nudging email... and if that doesn't produce some action then you just have to take it on the chin and hope that Slush Puppy will turn up again in a cache, somewhere, sometime.

If he ever makes it over here to UK and I meet up with him I'll be sure to take a picture. :)

MrsB

My grandson recently placed a geocoin in a cache in penisula state park in wisconsin. A number of people have visited cache since then and no one mentions taking the coin or if it was still there. this is really frustrating and I sometimes think children want them and it is easier for parents to let them have them instead of arguing with them to put it back or get them to leave it somewhere else.

Just wait now... for another 2-3 weeks... and see what happens. If it doesn't get correctly retrieved/dropped off then try another nudging email... and if that doesn't produce some action then you just have to take it on the chin and hope that Slush Puppy will turn up again in a cache, somewhere, sometime.

I guess I set unrealistic expectations for myself, thinking that the bug would be hopping from cache to cache and I would be seeing new logs of its journey everyday, lol. I have to accept that it may be a long burn, especially since caching in my area seems to be a little stagnant compared to others.

I have other sets of new TB tags to use down the road too, if I feel like taking the plunge again! Perhaps next time I'll use an item I care less about, so I'll have more fun instead of worrying about it being treated well.

Thank you very much for the advice and kind words! Looking back on things, it really hasn't been that long, although it feels like an eternity. I'll try not to stress much about it, and just give it a few months, and see what happens! :)

Indeed the life and times of following your first TBs that you release. We've only just created our first cache near our home and decided to have a travel bug each released with a keyring with a pic of our respective pets on them. A kind of race to see who went the furthest.

We've done enough caches ourselves and moved on enough TBs to know that it can take a while for them to move, sometimes months ! But our cache was found 2 days after we planted the bugs and off they went :D ! The cacher then took 1 month to place the first one (mine) and it went into a Cipher Cache. B*gger I thought ! That'll take ages to move. The other one (Sal's) finally got deposited 6 weeks later in a cache in West Wales. A month later both hadn't moved :D.

Mine has finally moved on but Sal's was 'discovered' by a cacher so it didn't move. Then subsequent logs in the cache noted that the TB was no longer in the cache. We sent an email to the person who wrote the log and they confirmed it wasn't in there. We wrote to the 'discoverer' who we presume moved it on but they never replied. We've presumed they've just nicked it and can't be bothered to reply :) . So a copy of Sal's TB is now back in our starting cache with the copy TB to start her journey all over again. All in all her TB moved 64 miles into 1 cache and was subsequently stolen so not a good start :).

Still, here's hoping they last longer this time. I have high hopes for mine as its been found by a dutch family. It may go international :)

Travellers have an odd way of reappearing in strange and mysterious ways. At a 10 Years! event where I was sitting near the trackable table someone pointed out a nice coin. I said yes, they are nice, I had one just like it that went missing a year ago. Lo & behold it turned out to be the same one!

It seems there were somewhere near 10 travellers dropped off at the event that had been missing. I never considered events to offer amnesty to traveller hoarders but it is great if they do!