Did a geocache that had not been visited in almost a year!

Ohios Heroes Ours is the last log of course. This was an awesome adventure for us. We are still somewhat new to this and this one kind of fell in our lap by accident so we went for it. This is our first terrain 5 and I guess it is rated that because you must have some type of boat to reach it. Once on the island though it was a fairly easy grab. We did a video of it and I hope to have that posted soon. If you have a chance get this one do it because we had a blast getting to it. Rocky fork has a decent price to rent pontoons. It's $75 for 4 hours which is not bad considering it was the weekend. You can spend the day boating, swimming and fishing plus get a cool geocache in a really cool place on top of all that. Edited by Team_Searchgeo

I agree entirely.

This is a pretty cool hobby, and I am new at it too.

This cache was right near my home, and granted, we do have some pretty hard winters around here with alot of snow.

But it still does not explain the very little interest in this cache. I found it this springtime after 6 months of non-visitation rights! What is up with that? It still only gets about one visitor a month, and there are a million people that live within a half hour drive of it!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

One I found in July hadn't an online log since 2007, though a previous finder visited it in 2009. Not too many visits. On an incredibly worthy cache, too.

Why is this?

I think the number of caches has something to do with it. There are now so many easy caches that a lot of geocachers are bypassing the ones which require more time and effort.

A prime example is one I placed on a mountain top, which has about 24 visits, a few early on, then a burst of activity, followed by very few visits in the past year, as cache count has skyrocketed in the area.

I think, unless you pursue some of these out of the way caches, which were placed for darn good reasons (great view, great climb, great hike, great experience) you miss out on what made geocaching great.

It's not about the numbers, it's about the journey.

I love finding caches that haven't been found in a while.

Me three!!

A couple of caching friends and I recently found one that hadn't been found in 3 years.

We went looking for it fully expecting it not to be there after all that time. It *was* harder to find, it had three years of forest debris on top of it!

The icing on the cake was that the last logs on it were DNF's two years ago by a couple of cachers with WAYYYY more finds than we had....we did a couple of high five's and job well dones slaps over that one!!

All the geocachers who own travel bugs thank you for not placing one in that cache.

That would the epitome of a travel bug prison

I'd see it as incentive for another person to visit it. Just because the cache isn't visited often doesn't make it a prison... consider it a layover. :o

somegeek

All the geocachers who own travel bugs thank you for not placing one in that cache.

I'd see it as incentive for another person to visit it. Just because the cache isn't visited often doesn't make it a prison... consider it a layover. :o

somegeek

Agreed. I'd rather have one of my trackables in a cache that doesn't get visited very often then in the hands of someone that either doesn't go geocaching very often or has stopped geocaching entirely.

When cache is placed in a remote cache, at least an owner will know exactly where the TB is located. A TB in the hands of a cacher could be almost anywhere and, based on my own experience, can get lost fairly easily.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I'd see it as incentive for another person to visit it. Just because the cache isn't visited often doesn't make it a prison... consider it a layover. ;)

somegeek

How many trackables have you got out there? :o

It would be a prison.

I'd see it as incentive for another person to visit it. Just because the cache isn't visited often doesn't make it a prison... consider it a layover. :D

somegeek

I'll agree with somegeek on this one...

Our trackable "Atwell Hunter" had been travelling well: In early May 09 it was placed into "Past the Pass" cache and I thought nothing of it. Mid June I was doing one of my regular checks on where our trackables are and I read the drop-off log for it...

"May 3, 2009 by deuxion (269 found)

Another LONG hike to this cache! Since we didn't have the luxury of a 4x4 we parked the mini van half way into Eagle Pass Road and hiked the rest of the way. Took 14 miles round trip and the 97+ temperatures was quite torturing the entire day. The cache itself was a challenge as mentioned by previous finders (study your topo before doing this). In the end, it was a stupid idea to do what we did, but also another geocaching story to tell to everyone. TFTC!

LEFT: Atwell Hunter Geocoin"

Very cool place! (Or not-so-cool in this case)

It sat safely in that rocky mountain hideaway until Nov 09 when it was retrieved and was then placed in a well-known and well-visited cache called "Build a better geocache" (have a look at the gallery pics if yo're not familiar with it ;) ).

Since then many cachers have visited that cache... nobody has retrieves the Atwell Hunter... I suspect it's gone. :P

MrsB

I'd see it as incentive for another person to visit it. Just because the cache isn't visited often doesn't make it a prison... consider it a layover. :P

somegeek

Yea maybe but I would have hated to drop this and it sit for a year. I already thought I lost it when we traveled to NC so I definitely want to get in a well visited cache. We will drop it off in the next few weeks.

I'd see it as incentive for another person to visit it. Just because the cache isn't visited often doesn't make it a prison... consider it a layover. :D

somegeek

How many trackables have you got out there? :P

It would be a prison.

My low number of trackables out there doesn't disqualify me from having an opinion.

It's a layover. ;)

One I found in July hadn't an online log since 2007, though a previous finder visited it in 2009. Not too many visits. On an incredibly worthy cache, too.

Why is this?

I think the number of caches has something to do with it. There are now so many easy caches that a lot of geocachers are bypassing the ones which require more time and effort.

A prime example is one I placed on a mountain top, which has about 24 visits, a few early on, then a burst of activity, followed by very few visits in the past year, as cache count has skyrocketed in the area.

I think, unless you pursue some of these out of the way caches, which were placed for darn good reasons (great view, great climb, great hike, great experience) you miss out on what made geocaching great.

I don't think this necessarily follows. I just joined geocaching within the last 6 months and I love going for caches that have more of a journey attached to them.

I don't think the amount of caches in an area means that people like me won't go for the "mountain top" caches. It just takes time to plan an adventure to one of them. The other caches are just easier to hit.

I think the only thing that has changed is that previously you may have planned to hit the harder caches, but only gotten out to do a heavy cache like that once every couple months and not had much caching in between.

Now I think you can cache pretty regularly and then hit the harder caches as you can.

Why is this?

When I get more experienced, and have the time, I hope to go for something like this. Unfortunately, my husband will not be able to join me because he is physically disabled. I've have scoured the local caches for terrain ratings of 1-1.5 because even a 2 is really, really hard for him. A couple local ones are in marshes. Easy for you and me, but watching him try to drag his legs and maneuver his crutches through pluff mud takes all the fun out of the game. So some of those "easy" 1/1s serve a nice purpose.