40 Things I Learned In My First 100 Caches

Ecylram

I don't see anything about micro spew

Ummm, they stated in their OP that they were getting their 100th cache soon. :grin:

Perhaps they haven't become jaded, expectant, and entitled yet. :blink::lol:

Nope not jaded yet, but I'm sure the time will come. :D

When I started cachin' there were less than 400 caches within 100 miles of Houston. Now there are nearly 7000.

When I started cachin' the local caching Gods alllll had less than 400 finds and it was a wonderment to hear of 80 and 100 cache weekend sprees. Now... 40,000 finds will only net you second highest in stats and it won't be a close race to get first and 400-500+ cache weekend sprees happen more often than you might think.

I think I have somewhere near 900 finds after 7.5 years of caching and the most I ever found in a weekend was around 40. :lol:

I've seen this activity go from grass roots to nearly mainstream and I still haven't become jaded.

It will happen only if you LET it happen. :grin:

Edited by Snoogans
I think I have somewhere near 900 finds after 7.5 years of caching and the most I ever found in a weekend was around 40. :blink:

I've seen this activity go from grass roots to nearly mainstream and I still haven't become jaded.

:lol::lol::D

Edited by bflentje

When I started cachin' there were less than 400 caches within 100 miles of Houston. Now there are nearly 7000.

When I started cachin' the local caching Gods alllll had less than 400 finds and it was a wonderment to hear of 80 and 100 cache weekend sprees. Now... 40,000 finds will only net you second highest in stats and it won't be a close race to get first and 400-500+ cache weekend sprees happen more often than you might think.

I think I have somewhere near 900 finds after 7.5 years of caching and the most I ever found in a weekend was around 40. :blink:

It will happen only if you LET it happen. :lol:

Caching in an urban area I can see where it's very easy to get burnt out. You can rack up some numbers but lamp post hides can get OLD real quick.

I'll find my challenges in a different way...such as this cache I'm planning to revisit where the log is apparently hidden in a stick (this somewhere in a bunch of trees). :lol:

Edited by Ecylram

It will happen only if you LET it happen. :lol:

Caching in an urban area I can see where it's very easy to get burnt out. You can rack up some numbers but lamp post hides can get OLD real quick.

I'll find my challenges in a different way...such as this cache I'm planning to revisit where the log is apparently hidden in a stick (this somewhere in a bunch of trees). :D

You are on the right track not to burn out. As long as you always keep in mind that cache owners don't owe you a good time. A cache is just a choice you make to spend your free quality time hunting for. I chose wrong quite a few times on my 8,600+ mile cachin' trip recently, but some of the right choices turned out to be real gems worth of high praise. :grin:

If I'm not having fun in 5-7 minutes, I'll move on. Needle in a haystack caches don't float me when I cache alone, but they can be really fun for me with a group.

It's all relative.

I have a needle in a haystack hide of sorts. It is appropriatly named, Before You Torment, You Must Learn To Annoy. :lol:

If I'm not having fun in 5-7 minutes, I'll move on. Needle in a haystack caches don't float me when I cache alone, but they can be really fun for me with a group.

It's all relative.

I have a needle in a haystack hide of sorts. It is appropriatly named, Before You Torment, You Must Learn To Annoy. :blink:

With a hint of guilt I also have moved on from some caches. I figure that when it switches from 'fun' to 'chore' its time to move on. There are thousands of caches out there, I can always go to the next one.

I don't know if I'll like doing most needle in haystack searches (such as those ones where a container is filled with film cans), but this one I find intriguing as the CO is known for her creative hides. Last one of hers that I found was a fake bee hive. The comments on this cache indicate she did a really creative job and I'm curious to see her handiwork.

What rule are we at now? 54? For urban caching, use restrooms whenever you have a chance. And make sure your POI database contains a list of public restrooms :blink:

55. It's possible do the 'drunken bee' dance with a car. (Finding a lamp post hide in a large segmented parking lot)

43. After deciding to leave the trail and start bushwhacking, you find the trail again. (oh, heh-heh, it must have turned back around a little further down)

That's why you should always consider the terrain rating and read the description and should never blindly follow me into the brush.

43a The most direct (and easiest) path to a cache is not always a straight line

43b When in doubt, follow the path left by previous cachers

PS Great list!

Edited by Brooklyn51

I want to throw my support behind Fisher Space Pens

and Australian Shepherds

and also add that if there is an easy way to get to a cache and a hard way to get to a cache I will always somehow manage to find the hardest way

and that if your eagle scout husband looks at you and says "you of course realize you're standing in a field of poison ivy" panicking and rubbing down every area of exposed skin AND the Aussie who is also standing in poison ivy with baby wipes actually works to keep you from getting it

assuming that it WAS poison ivy and he wasn't just yanking my chain

I gotta go google something :P