Fence Hides

thistleRacers

I have been trying to find a cache that I am very certain (due to a hint sent to me) that it is a fence post hide. I have found 1 fence post hide so far and the cap was an end cap. Is it possible (or maybe I should ask is it probable) that a cache is under a cape like this:

black20chain20link20fen.jpg

?

at GZ the only loose cap I can find is one like the one above, but the cross bar won't let me lift it up. The cross bar does have a connection right at the cap (like in this photo) can I take the crossbar apart? I actually tried, but it didn't budge and I certainly don't want to ruin the fence. A hide like this, it seems, would require the hider to also be a fencer...or related to one....

Is there something I am missing? I may have the wrong post?

your thoughts? any advice?

thanx!

I stop short of taking things apart for Geocaching. If the cap comes off easily - i'll look at it but I'm not going much further to exmaine it.

thank you for the quick reply StarBrand.

That's the way I feel (that's why it took me a couple weeks to figure out Lamppost hides :-)

I think I may have the wrong post. I have been going there on my lunch breaks and only have about 15 mins to look...so maybe I didn't see all the possible - non-taking apart, fence post tops.

I stop short of taking things apart for Geocaching. If the cap comes off easily - i'll look at it but I'm not going much further to exmaine it.

+1

Conscientious cache owners who care for our game's reputation will not hide a cache in such a way that you will need to dismantle and possibly damage infrastructure.

Since in my experience the vast majority of hiders exhibit that sense of consciousness I expect that either the cache is gone or you are missing something.

One of the stages of a multi that I adopted was a fine monofilament line tied to the bottom of a fence at one end, to a small green container at the other, and the cache is then thrown about 20' down a grassy hill. You have to find the line down in the grass then retrieve the cache, and that isn't easy!

If you just can't find it contact the cache owner or perhaps a previous finder and ask for a hint.

I have found 2 very creative hides in fences....although this one sounds like you just need to expand your search area a bit (that's the nice way to say the coords are poor).

One creative hide had a fake coupling on the fence...which you slid over to expose a small hole in the pipe.

The hider had to take the fence apart in order to build that one.

The other creative one had an additional post added to the fence, which did not hold the fence up at all.

Good luck and have fun.

" fine monofilament line tied to the bottom of a fence at one end, to a small green container at the other, and the cache is then thrown about 20' down a grassy hill. You have to find the line down in the grass then retrieve the cache, and that isn't easy!

yes. I probably need to think outside the fence.... It was the CO who gave me the hint that it is a fence hide...

thanks TAR.

Thank you everyone!

I will abandon that fence post for now, my next 15 minutes there I will try to figure out where else it could be (and hope my GPS gets a little better accuracy...)

Keep in mind that your GPS could be 20' off and the hider's GPS could be 20' off combining to give you quite a lot of search area even if the hider got the best coords he could!

I usually let the GPS take me to within 20' or so and put it in my pocket, then use eyeballs and 'geosense' (experience plus the question 'Where would I hide it?'. Otherwise the GPS will lead you in circles or get you fixated on one (often wrong) area.

Thank you everyone!

I will abandon that fence post for now, my next 15 minutes there I will try to figure out where else it could be (and hope my GPS gets a little better accuracy...)

Keep in mind that your GPS could be 20' off and the hider's GPS could be 20' off combining to give you quite a lot of search area even if the hider got the best coords he could!

I usually let the GPS take me to within 20' or so and put it in my pocket, then use eyeballs and 'geosense' (experience plus the question 'Where would I hide it?'. Otherwise the GPS will lead you in circles or get you fixated on one (often wrong) area.

Heck, one time I set my GPS down, watched it zero out and then spend a half hour hunting for the cache. Looked below the GPS and there was the cache. Darn good coordiantes as well as amazing camo.

Note this is an exception not the rule.

Heck, one time I set my GPS down, watched it zero out and then spend a half hour hunting for the cache. Looked below the GPS and there was the cache. Darn good coordiantes as well as amazing camo.

Note this is an exception not the rule.

LOL, been there done that!

I spent literally hours scouring an old cemetery which had rock borders.

The GPS kept taking me to one spot but when I went there it would say GZ is over there a bit.

I was a long way from home, it was a friend's cache and I was bound and determined not to leave without finding that cache.

Finally sat down at the spot the GPS kept taking me to for a rest and a bottle of water. Set the GPS on the ground by my foot and it knocked over a little cedar stub seemingly growing out of the ground... it was the cache, of course! :)

It is not a screw or a nano...I am pretty certain of that. The whole reason I asked was because the only fence-post top that I found that was loose was on like that pictured about and I wanted to see what peopled had to say about it.

The logs of this cache are teasing by talking about the pinestraw....trying to mislead people. and everyone praises the hide for being "a well done one" of this type. The CO wrote me and told me to ignore the pinestraw remarks and that it is a fence-post hide.

GC1M4Q2

Correction...it wasn't the CO, but a friend of the CO who wrote to me...

Edited by thistleRacers

some i'm sure snicker a bit when they put a misleading comment in a log.. very tacky.

look for one of those magnetic suckers.. or the dreaded monoilament line.. since i'm starting to get a little older, my already poor eyesight is getting worse.. i can never find the monofilament line.. that stuff is totally invisible to me..

i have seen a bison tube hung on a bent paperclip in various places on a fence.. i'd really hate to give it away..

One time I opened the fence post cap, and the cache fell into the pipe....never to be seen again. It was magnetically held to the lid.

Another time (last week).... the cache had a hook on it...and it was showing just above the lip of the open fence post. When I lifted up the hook....NOTHING came out with it. The cache was somehow dropped into the fence post upside down, and NOT hooked back on the hook. We couldn't get it out of the post....neither could the next 4 or 5 cachers. I guess the last person was not careful when they put it back.

Just a couple thoughts...

Black thread can often be harder to see than monofilament line, and it doesn't degrade in sunlight the way monofilament line does.

One of my "blind spots" when searching for caches hidden along chain-link fences is the middle of a chain-link panel. I'll search along the posts. I'll search along the ground. I'll search along the top of the fence. But it takes me a long time to remember to search the fence itself between posts, between the ground and the top of the fence. It doesn't even have to be a micro. It can take me a long time to spot a decon box clipped to the fence like that.

I know this isn't a burning issue for any of you, but since I said I'd try to go today, I felt I should update that situation. I had to burn my lunch hour, plus another hour sorting out "issues" at my son's day-camp. So having a full lunch hour this week is out ;) . Have to wait until Monday (unless we get over that way this weekend... :) )

I know this isn't a burning issue for any of you, but since I said I'd try to go today, I felt I should update that situation. I had to burn my lunch hour, plus another hour sorting out "issues" at my son's day-camp. So having a full lunch hour this week is out ;) . Have to wait until Monday (unless we get over that way this weekend... :) )

We're rooting for you and eagerly anticipate your Found It Log!

As far as the time-to-hunt issues, you might try caching at night! I mostly cache at night in the summer to avoid the heat.

Well, it was a standard fence post hide, with the usually type of false end cap (not like the one pictured) it was hidden behind a pine tree! dag! I found it with in a minute of leaving my car. It was all a matter of not having enough time to search thoroughly.

Thanks for all the help everyone. (now if you're ever collecting smileys in Jackson County Georgia, this will be an easy one for you :-)

The couple fence cap caches I have were in places where the actual fence cap was missing, so I was a good citizen by replacing them.

Most metal fence caps have a series of inclined nubs on the inside of the cap. This is so when the cap is hammered on it is very difficult to remove. When I buy the replacement cap I grind those nubs off and epoxy a container to the inside of the cap.