weather proffing stuffed animals

So I had this idea to use a stuffed animal backpack as the cache, i have a weatherproof container inside the bag holding swag and the log book, but the animal is exposed almost entirely to the elements in a tree cavity, the animal is typical faux fur, and has a metal zipper, coated with what appears to be some sort of rustproof paint.

My question then is, what can i do to keep or at least prolong the life of this furry animal, prevent mold, and keep it in decent shape for a while, as im sure it will have to be replaced in the future with another one, but i dont want to have to replace it weekly, any suggestions?

So I had this idea to use a stuffed animal backpack as the cache, i have a weatherproof container inside the bag holding swag and the log book, but the animal is exposed almost entirely to the elements in a tree cavity, the animal is typical faux fur, and has a metal zipper, coated with what appears to be some sort of rustproof paint.

My question then is, what can i do to keep or at least prolong the life of this furry animal, prevent mold, and keep it in decent shape for a while, as im sure it will have to be replaced in the future with another one, but i dont want to have to replace it weekly, any suggestions?

I thought you quit?

Maybe try "campdry"?

I saw a cache made of a "stuffed animal" of sorts:

052920101Spider.jpg

Notice, though, that the actual cache is the bison tube dangling beneath it. You don't have to actually touch the spider. The CO's are willing to do the necessary upkeep on it, too; it's part of a great nursery rhyme series.

It was totally awesome to find, too. We came circling around the tree and almost jumped out of our skins! :anibad:

--Q

I saw a cache made of a "stuffed animal" of sorts:

052920101Spider.jpg

Notice, though, that the actual cache is the bison tube dangling beneath it. You don't have to actually touch the spider. The CO's are willing to do the necessary upkeep on it, too; it's part of a great nursery rhyme series.

It was totally awesome to find, too. We came circling around the tree and almost jumped out of our skins! :anibad:

--Q

I would have CRAPPED MY KNICKERS :lol:

You said "faux fur", right? If that is true, then, in my experience, you don't have much of an issue. It will get dirty and musty, but so will an ammo box after a while. This cache of mine, covered with fake fur and hidden inside a log, was out for three years, until the squirrels or whatever finally tunneled completely through the log it was hidden in, and kept pushing the cache out so they could run through the log. It was fun for me, and the finders, while it lasted, though, as you can see by the logs.

hmmm well we shall see how it holds up, and im thinking maybe ill just cut the zipper out, that way i dont have to deal with it, if it doesnt last a month here, ill change it to something more durable.

It'll be fun... for a while.

BTW, Have you considered HamsterCaching?

MrsB

(Do not try weatherproofing hamsters with Campdry.)

Edited by The Blorenges

You said "faux fur", right? If that is true, then, in my experience, you don't have much of an issue. It will get dirty and musty, but so will an ammo box after a while. This cache of mine, covered with fake fur and hidden inside a log, was out for three years, until the squirrels or whatever finally tunneled completely through the log it was hidden in, and kept pushing the cache out so they could run through the log. It was fun for me, and the finders, while it lasted, though, as you can see by the logs.

I don't know. I'd be worried about the stuffing in the animal and what a haven of microbes and fungus it would become after a month. But I guess if most of the filler was removed... maybe. Certainly worth building a test cache and leaving it in the yard for a month to see what happens to it.

11 replies and nobody said "put it inside an ammo can"??? I think I might shed a tear.

If you're looking for fuzzy, I can't think of anything unless you find a way to keep it completely dry. If you're looking for cute, the garden section of the hardware store usually has resin hidakey containers shaped like various woodland creatures used as garden ornaments.

Didn't you just post on another thread that you were quitting Geocaching? Dude you typed a whole page with reasons and every thing. What the hell?

Hmm....

I will leave it up, and see what happens, ill weather"proof" it with some campdry, but who knows, ill keep an eye out for something else, if it fails, i also like the idea of dressing an ammo can with fur, but then i still have the fur issue, this is florida remember, one of the wettest states around,

I've seen real whole deer mounts in yards so they're weatherproofing them with something.

as i've lived within a stones throw of alabama for several years, why am i not surprised....

...and why the hell haven't i seen that here? :signalviolin:

It's not an Alabama thing, thank you.

From the New Hampshire Wildlife Journal - http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlife_J...2_Taxidermy.pdf

One taxidermist, Loren Nash of Berlin, does a lot of roadkill animals, including deer, bear, fox, coyotes and many others. Nash is also known for doing mounts that are … well, a bit off the wall. He’s planning an outdoor display depicting a moose that’s been struck by a vehicle. After he gets hold of an appropriately crushed vehicle – or dents it himself – he plans to attach a full-size mounted moose to the car’s roof. Nash

wants to haul the vehicle/moose combo around to inform people about driving safely in moose country. The display, he says, will be dramatic, but tasteful.