Oregon Transfer Question

I have an Oregon 300 and transferring cache data between units is quite simple, except you only get the coordinates, no description. The Wiki agrees with that.

The other day my friend used his 550 to beam me a couple of caches, and I got the whole description just as if I had put the GPX file on it. Description, logs, everything. Fantastic!

Is this a new feature from one of the updates (I have the 3.82beta don't know what he has)

I haven't had another unit to test with since.

Thanks.

I have an Oregon 300 and transferring cache data between units is quite simple, except you only get the coordinates, no description. The Wiki agrees with that.

The other day my friend used his 550 to beam me a couple of caches, and I got the whole description just as if I had put the GPX file on it. Description, logs, everything. Fantastic!

Is this a new feature from one of the updates (I have the 3.82beta don't know what he has)

Thanks.

It's my understanding that between-unit transfers are limited to only basic information to prevent non-premium members from being able to easily get information that should require a premium membership. It's an extension of the rule that prohibits users from sharing GPX files with each other.

I've tried the transfer thing just once, between my 550t and another 550t. Another premium member beamed information for two caches from his unit to mine. The only information that transferred was the basic information I would get in a LOC file: no description or other details. I'd love to know how you managed to receive all the details about the cache that was beamed to you.

--Larry

Thanks.

It's my understanding that between-unit transfers are limited to only basic information to prevent non-premium members from being able to easily get information that should require a premium membership. It's an extension of the rule that prohibits users from sharing GPX files with each other.

I've tried the transfer thing just once, between my 550t and another 550t. Another premium member beamed information for two caches from his unit to mine. The only information that transferred was the basic information I would get in a LOC file: no description or other details. I'd love to know how you managed to receive all the details about the cache that was beamed to you.

--Larry

Me too! I'll have to try to repeat it when I get 2 Oregons together.

My father and I both have Oregon450's with the beta software on them. He's gotta keep up with me and my software updates/features!! Anyway, I send him cache's once in a while, and I think he's always gotten all the data. I could be wrong, and now I'm gonna have to check next time we are caching together.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this transfer function might have been changed (via a firmware update) in the months since I tried that data transfer I mentioned (it was November 2009; I just looked up the cache we found after doing the transfer).

Anyone else try a transfer recently, and if so, what all was transferred?

--Larry

Other than coolness, what real-life, real-world scenario would this ever be used?! Running into some geocacher in the woods who says, "Boo ya, dude! You've just got to go nab this cache!" "Um, ya, well I have that and every other cache in the area from my PQ I just downloaded." ... I don't get this feature.

I've used this several times. I have had a PQ for a particular area loaded into my GPS and our caching partners have not. When we run across a cache, this allows me to send it to their GPS, and vice versa. Not a common occurance, but it happens and saves fumble-finger coordinate entry. There are a couple other reasons we have "beamed" data between two units. It's just a nice-to-have feature.

So if Garmin is now transfering all the information in the GPX file would using the wireless transfer function be in violation of the Groundspeak Waypoint License Agreement?

Well, this is definitely an OREGON feature. Tested sending a Geocache from a Colorado 400t (3.42 beta) to a different Colorado 400t (3.42) beta and the GPX was cut off as we've been used to since the beginning.

Must be that the Colorado can *receive* a "full" GPX from an Oregon, but not transmit one on the current beta anyway. I have, however noticed a few glitches on the waypoint send with my Colorado on this beta -- long pause after transmitting, which tells me they did at least 'fiddle' with the feature.

So if Garmin is now transfering all the information in the GPX file would using the wireless transfer function be in violation of the Groundspeak Waypoint License Agreement?

Well, this is definitely an OREGON feature. Tested sending a Geocache from a Colorado 400t (3.42 beta) to a different Colorado 400t (3.42) beta and the GPX was cut off as we've been used to since the beginning.

Must be that the Colorado can *receive* a "full" GPX from an Oregon, but not transmit one on the current beta anyway. I have, however noticed a few glitches on the waypoint send with my Colorado on this beta -- long pause after transmitting, which tells me they did at least 'fiddle' with the feature.

Update. After further testing, it appears that the full GPX transfer is an Oregon x50 feature. I can receive full GPX files from 450 and 550's on my 300, but when I send caches, it's just the coords.

I hope Garmin fixes this in a future x00 update!

Other than coolness, what real-life, real-world scenario would this ever be used?! Running into some geocacher in the woods who says, "Boo ya, dude! You've just got to go nab this cache!" "Um, ya, well I have that and every other cache in the area from my PQ I just downloaded." ... I don't get this feature.

If you was at a event like I was and a kid did not load all the caches for the trail he was very happy when I reminded him about the transfer feature so i shot him a few caches and off he went

The full transfer seems to be supported by the Dakota, Oregon x50 and new GPSMAPs. The x00 Oregon and Colorado seem to only support the shortened version. And then you have to factor in whether you are a premium member or not and which firmware version you are using. I think it is safe to say if you have one of the three units above with latest firmware and are a premium member you'll get the full transfer.

Like Red90 I use it quite frequently out caching with friends especially now that most of the Garmin units support it.

I wish they would support transfer from a computer using the wireless ANT dongle for small stuff like tracks and the occasional waypoint or geocache.

GO$Rs

How do I reduce the amount of logs that are downloaded on to my Oregon 300?

:laughing:

Cheekymo x

Not sure why you'd want to (most of us wish we could get more than the 5 that gc.com sends us!), but you can use GSAK to adjust the number of logs per cache before sending them to your 300. As for lowering of the count from another Garmin unit per this thread, I don't know of any way you can do that. You'll get however many logs are associated with each cache on the sending unit. Edited by ecanderson
How do I reduce the amount of logs that are downloaded on to my Oregon 300?

:D

Cheekymo x

Not sure why you'd want to (most of us wish we could get more than the 5 that gc.com sends us!), but you can use GSAK to adjust the number of logs per cache before sending them to your 300. As for lowering of the count from another Garmin unit per this thread, I don't know of any way you can do that. You'll get however many logs are associated with each cache on the sending unit.

Even though the newer units hold thousands of caches, the gpx file size(s) provide the next limit, As you approach 5000, the file size exceeds 10 megs.

Other than coolness, what real-life, real-world scenario would this ever be used?!

When caching with these things called friends. I use it all of the time.

I tend to use it when caching with family more than with friends. My brother-in-law is in the excited newbie stage (even though he's been caching for almost 2 years) and he doesn't cache much unless we're in town visiting. He almost never runs a PQ to prep, and he relies on me transferring to his Colorado 400t from my Oregon 400t. Other than that, I've only used the feature once or twice when I was at an event where a cache had published that morning and I didn't load any PQ's that day. Someone else at the event had loaded PQ's so they transferred the data to me so I had it to find/log a new cache that had been published.

Thanks for the info. Seems that it's 2.4Ghz radio technology. Interesting to see yet another wireless technology added to the mix, although this means it's one more that won't talk to other devices. I was kind of hoping it was a low-powered wifi technology so someone would hack it to download caches without hooking to the computer. I guess that's just dreaming for the future.... ha ha!

Even though the newer units hold thousands of caches, the gpx file size(s) provide the next limit, As you approach 5000, the file size exceeds 10 megs.

i've loaded GPX files with 30 MB and more on my oregon 450 without any problems.

Thanks for the info. Seems that it's 2.4Ghz radio technology. Interesting to see yet another wireless technology added to the mix, although this means it's one more that won't talk to other devices. I was kind of hoping it was a low-powered wifi technology so someone would hack it to download caches without hooking to the computer. I guess that's just dreaming for the future.... ha ha!
Yes, like we needed another in the mix. Actually, Class III Bluetooth would have been just the thing for this application. Wonder why they went off the deep end the other way?

I also always run GPX files of around 30 MB and have never seen any loss of data. I do not beleive anyone has truly found a file size limit.

Actually, Class III Bluetooth would have been just the thing for this application. Wonder why they went off the deep end the other way?

Garmin has used the ANT wireless protocol for quite a long time, being used in the training devices. They simply ported it over for data transfer in these units. They chose ANT due to the low power use and the fact that they own ANT.... ANT has been around for 12 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANT_%28network%29