Garmin 60 CSx question

Crossfinders

We've been using the CSx for a few months. The red arrow will point in the right direction when we are driving, but not at a slow speed such as walking. At this point we resort to watching the yards count down if we are walking in the correct direction. I've always assumed this is due to the difficulty in satellites getting a good "fix" on our direction when we are walking because it is too slow a movement. Is this correct or should the red arrow point in the correct direction even when walking?

Thanks for any help.

i have an oregon and not a 60csx, but assuming they work the same in this respect, the answer would be yes and no. the device needs to detect that you're moving in order to use your movement direction for updating the compass screen. it's ability to do so depends mainly on your movement speed and the quality of your GPS fix. the better your fix, the slower the speed threshold.

with my oregon, a moderately fast walking pace is usually enough to make it use the movement direction, even under tree cover. things may look different if you're surrounded by hills or mountains for example.

if the device isn't able to use your movement direction any more, it will resort to using the magnetic compass to update the compass screen, assuming the magnetic compass hasn't been turned off. if you did turn it off, then the compass screen will probably just stop updating. if you didn't and find the compass screen to show incorrect directions, you may need to recalibrate the magnetic compass.

you can always check which source of information the device is using by turning it around: if the compass screen changes as you turn it around, it's using the magnetic compass. if not, it's using the movement direction from the GPS signal (or it's not using anything at all).

You need to calibrate the compass, and HOLD IT LEVEL. The unit will display a warning message if you're not holding it correctly. Use of NiMH batteries will help the unit retain calibration for a much longer period of time (pretty much all day). Calibrations are accurate at the voltage they are taken. When the voltage drops, the accuracy drops. NiMH batteries have a very flat discharge profile, so it's less of a problem.

i have an oregon and not a 60csx, but assuming they work the same in this respect, the answer would be yes and no. the device needs to detect that you're moving in order to use your movement direction for updating the compass screen. it's ability to do so depends mainly on your movement speed and the quality of your GPS fix. the better your fix, the slower the speed threshold.

That would be the case if it was a 60CX, which doesn't have a magnetic compass, but not so for the 60CSX which has a magnetic compass and doesn't require that you move for it to work.

I suspect that Prime Suspect and Starbrand are correct. The compass needs to be calibrated every time the user changes batteries and any time it starts acting fluky.

That would be the case if it was a 60CX, which doesn't have a magnetic compass, but not so for the 60CSX which has a magnetic compass and doesn't require that you move for it to work.

you misunderstood me, or maybe just didn't read the rest of my post. i know the 60csx has a magnetic compass. it still requires you to be moving if you want it to use your movement direction (which is independent of how you hold it) to update the compass screen with.

With the 60csx you need to ensure that you haven't turned the compass off. It is pretty easy to do -- you queue up your waypoint, then press the page key to get to the compass for normal use. If you press and HOLD the Page key, the compass will turn off. Ensure that the compass icon appears in the status bar, which indicates that your compass is on.

AND you can also set your defaults as to when the compass automatically turns off and on. When moving in a car it should be using satellite. When you leave the car the compass needs to turn on. You can set the delay for that from 5 seconds up to 180 seconds, but you also need to adjust the switch to compass heading "when below" speed setting.

The Oregon's compass turns on/off at about 1-2 mph, so that is different in use than the 60csx (I also have an Oregon 550T, but prefer the quad-helix antenna of the 60csx vs. the ceramic antenna of most Oregon models).

Added: I also find that Lithium batteries have worked the best for me, keeping a good constant voltage available (but carry spares as when they die, they go from low battery to dead almost immediately).

Edited by drdan01

i know the 60csx has a magnetic compass. it still requires you to be moving if you want it to use your movement direction (which is independent of how you hold it) to update the compass screen with.

Actually it's not independent of how you hold it. The electronic compass requires that you hold it level with the horizon, or it can't correctly sample the earth's magnetic field. When using the "inference" compass, it's necessary that you hold it pointing directly in line with your direction of travel. If you hold it 15 degrees off, the arrow will be pointing 15 degrees off. The electronic compass doesn't have this problem, because it can orient the compass ring independently of the unit's orientation. But when in "inference" mode, it can only orient the compass ring by assuming the unit is pointed in the direction of travel.

Sounds like you need to calibrate the compass.

At higher speeds - the unit uses the sattellites to calculate direction. At slower speeds, the default is to use the magnetic (electronic) compass. However, it requires frequent calibration.

Definitely re-cal. your compass. Also check to ensure you have switched from on road to off road mode.

I suspect that Prime Suspect and Starbrand are correct. The compass needs to be calibrated every time the user changes batteries and any time it starts acting fluky.

These are all possibilities but I notices a really odd behavior of mine that I'll share. I have a 60CS (No SD slot) and the arrow was always pointing as if I was walking backwards or sideways. It took me a week or so to figure out that they belt clip was changing the compass pointer via some magnetic interference. Test yours by laying it on something non metalic and flat without the belt clip. Take note of the red arrow's orientation. After you know where it is pointing then bring the belt clip close to the unit and see if it changes. Mine was changing by about 40+/- degrees.

These are all possibilities but I notices a really odd behavior of mine that I'll share. I have a 60CS (No SD slot) and the arrow was always pointing as if I was walking backwards or sideways. It took me a week or so to figure out that they belt clip was changing the compass pointer via some magnetic interference. Test yours by laying it on something non metalic and flat without the belt clip. Take note of the red arrow's orientation. After you know where it is pointing then bring the belt clip close to the unit and see if it changes. Mine was changing by about 40+/- degrees.

When I first started, I also had an odd behavior, I found that I would wave the GPS side to side as I was walking forward. This would cause the GPS arrow to move in odd directions. Make sure your holding the unit level, still, and walking at a slower pace. Remember, the gps updates every second, not constantly.

They're not kidding about the hold-it-level suggestions.

I cache on crutches and so do not have my hands free to hold my 60CSx so I made a 'necklace' out of coat hangers and a dash mount which allows the GPS to sit on my chest face up and pointing forward level with the ground.

I got quite a reputation when caching in groups for consistently finding the cache or at least getting to true ground zero before anyone else. They would get there ahead of me and be milling around ground zero when I hobbled up and found it right amongst them.

I have owned 7 GPS receivers and cached with many others and can tell you that when held forward and level the 60CSx is the most accurate of them all!

Ditto the requirement to calibrate it every time you use it. I found that to be a PITA so I mostly used the distance countdown indicator and ignored the arrow which more often than not was 180° off.

I cache on crutches and so do not have my hands free to hold my 60CSx so I made a 'necklace' out of coat hangers and a dash mount which allows the GPS to sit on my chest face up and pointing forward level with the ground.

Just a suggestion - have you looked at a RAM mount for on one of the crutches. I use my GPS hands free as well because I need to use at least one walking stick (ok, I refuse to resort to a cane). I can't imagine the mess I'd get tangled in if'n I had my Garmin held up by a wire frame in front of me.

The mount I have is meant for 1/2 to 1" tubular material but I bet it would fit even a wooden crutch.

I'll have to remember to adjust the bracket so that the GPS is more close to level....thanks. I've been adjusting it for easy viewing rather than parallel to the ground. And yes, after caching with an Etrex Legend, a 60 cs, the 60 csx beats them hands down.

Just a suggestion - have you looked at a RAM mount for on one of the crutches. I use my GPS hands free as well because I need to use at least one walking stick (ok, I refuse to resort to a cane). I can't imagine the mess I'd get tangled in if'n I had my Garmin held up by a wire frame in front of me.

The mount I have is meant for 1/2 to 1" tubular material but I bet it would fit even a wooden crutch.

I'll have to remember to adjust the bracket so that the GPS is more close to level....thanks. I've been adjusting it for easy viewing rather than parallel to the ground. And yes, after caching with an Etrex Legend, a 60 cs, the 60 csx beats them hands down.

Your crutch swings back and forth and moves around constantly, your chest not so much.

Yes, this is a RAM adjustable dash mount. No, it doesn't get hung up any more, and probably less, than anything else you might attach to your body. The coat hanger necklace is stiff, lies flat around my neck and chest and holds the mount and GPS quite still.

A cacher in PA saw my 'handsfree GPS' several years ago and prototyped the idea to patent and produce commercially. I don't know if he is still selling them.

Here's an article and picture of his device which should work well with any GPS.

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...-22-08-12-07-23

Edit to add: Looks like someone else has copied the concept as well! http://www.worldcaching.com/no-hands-gps-h...st-mount-p-360/

Edit to add: This version just look disturbing! http://www.worldcaching.com/no-hands-gps-h...st-mount-p-455/

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

It nothing magnetic that's causing it. When you have the button screwed in, the unit doesn't lay flat. Remove it, and it does. The electronic compass has to be level to work right. The composition of the screw and belt clip have nothing to do with it.

There are two ways the GPS can determine direction.

1. With a magnetic sensor, just like a traditional compass. On most Garmins this requires you hold the receiver level. Also requires frequent recalibration.

2. By calculating the direction between your previous position and your current position. This only works when you are moving. All GPS units without a magnetic sensor use this method.

I find the accuracy of method #2 tends to be superior. I prefer that the unit only uses the sensor when I'm standing still. Unfortunately, in the default settings, the 60CSx only uses method #2 when you're moving pretty fast, such as in a car. When walking, it uses method #1.

You can change this in Menu-Menu >> Setup >> Heading >> Switch to compass heading when below X mph for Y seconds. I use 1 mph for 5 seconds, so it's only using the magnetic sensor when I actually stop moving. If I'm moving at all, it uses method #2.

Bonus I don't have to hold the unit level when walking.

You can change this in Menu-Menu >> Setup >> Heading >> Switch to compass heading when below X mph for Y seconds. I use 1 mph for 5 seconds, so it's only using the magnetic sensor when I actually stop moving. If I'm moving at all, it uses method #2.

I got this useful hint when I first got my CSX.

I have never turned on my compass or ever calibrated it.

Thank you, thank you! I just fixed mine..it was set for 10 mph for 90 seconds...no wonder I was annoyed with it.

I too am having this same problem. i went to these menu settings as you suggested and am wondering what your north reference is set at? and also when i try to change to 1 mph, i am unable to get rid of the zero after the 1 so can't change it from 10 mph to 1 mph. any help is appreciated.

Barb

I too am having this same problem. i went to these menu settings as you suggested and am wondering what your north reference is set at? and also when i try to change to 1 mph, i am unable to get rid of the zero after the 1 so can't change it from 10 mph to 1 mph. any help is appreciated.

Barb

To get rid of the 10 you need to use the back arrow to remove the whole thing and then input the 1...I had to try a couple of times to get rid of it too :blink:

Just did this this last weekend and it worked great. Thanks for the tip.

It nothing magnetic that's causing it. When you have the button screwed in, the unit doesn't lay flat. Remove it, and it does. The electronic compass has to be level to work right. The composition of the screw and belt clip have nothing to do with it.

Sorry, but my belt clip, the one that Garmin shipped with it, is magnetically interfering with it. I've also experienced the needle moving on a traditional compass while passing my belt clip past it.

Sorry, but my belt clip, the one that Garmin shipped with it, is magnetically interfering with it. I've also experienced the needle moving on a traditional compass while passing my belt clip past it.

I assume you mean the "button", not the actual clip, as that's intended to remain on your belt, not attached to the unit. If you calibrate the unit with the button screwed in, the calibration will compensate for it being there, just as it compensates for the metal part that it screws in to.