Creating a series ...

We have been given permission to create a series of caches around a local landmark

My thought is that as this takes a drive for anyone to get there

should we place the whole series and then ask for all the caches to be released at once

or should we build it out in stages and ask for them to be released in groups ?

Of course there will always be ... just one more cache :blink:

I think it's nice to release them one by one but state on the cache page description that they're part of a series and more will appear in due course.

Why?

It give lots of people the opportunity to have a go for a FTF (if they want to try) and those who aren't FTFers (and want to save petrol) know that they can sit back awhile and wait for the whole series to be published.

If a whole series gets released all at once it's very often the same person who gets all the FTFs - Nothing wrong with that - I just like to spread the FTF fun about more.

MrsB :blink:

Make sure you explain what you want in a 'note to reviewer' when you submit the caches - either in a block or singly. If you do want them published at the same time what I normally do is review them and put them 'on hold'. Any that have problems are disabled so they can be sorted out. Once they are all OK they can be published together. Singly, they'll be reviewed as you submit them and published there and then.

Please don't forget to add the full permission information as a 'note to reviewer' and also in the description, not the full details there but something like, "Cache placed with the kind permission of Borsetshire Council" (or whoever it was). This is not only a courtesy to them but also tells people finding your cache that the location is OK to search in.

Any questions just drop me an email or add it as a 'note to reviewer' on the cache when you submit it.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

When we set our Abberley Advent[ure] series last Christmas we originally planned to get one published per day from 1st December to 24th

However, the local FTF hounds :blink: weren't put off with going out every day (or night) so after the first half dozen or so we got the remainder published in one go.

This meant that there two or three other cachers got FTFs as well...

I am in the midst of putting out my first series. It took a while to plan the circular route (Judith's circular Drive)and having started out as a series of six, its getting like the well known "Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy" So there will be parts seven and eight of six !! I think I must be a fiddler as I am never satisfied and have changed the locations several times before publishing, and once as the reviewer did not like the location (behind a heap of rocks that once was a wall !!) I like the satisfacton of having one at a time and watching for the finders comments. This again has led to some editing (those magnetic keysafes leak like sieves and are not reliable!) So overall I think that one at a time is best. I am concentrating on the drive by locations at present as "she who must be obeyed" and elderly dog can't walk too far, and she likes to try them out before buying

Going for it (albeit slowly)

Palujia :(:(

if it's an area that you need to specifically get to, i'd have them published all at the same time. otherwise, local cachers who already got all other caches in the vicinity will end up having to go back there over and over again in order to grab those caches.

if it's an area that you need to specifically get to, i'd have them published all at the same time. otherwise, local cachers who already got all other caches in the vicinity will end up having to go back there over and over again in order to grab those caches.

why don't they just sit back until they are all out (assuming that, like MrsB said, it's made clear that there are more coming, and also when the series is complete) and then do them all in one go?

I'm in the camp of publish all at once. If one person gets all the FTF's then it's a mega FTF. For the FTF hounds it is in fact more of a challenge to get out. I have found in the past that I have only managed FTF on 1 or 2 of a series due to others being out trying to achieve the same.

If you trickle them out bit by bit, then for those people like me that do paperless and look on the map for where to go before reading the description. I think may be disappointed at finding out more are published once they got home.

I'm in the camp of publish all at once. If one person gets all the FTF's then it's a mega FTF. For the FTF hounds it is in fact more of a challenge to get out. I have found in the past that I have only managed FTF on 1 or 2 of a series due to others being out trying to achieve the same.

If you trickle them out bit by bit, then for those people like me that do paperless and look on the map for where to go before reading the description. I think may be disappointed at finding out more are published once they got home.

I'm saying all at once. I quite like the ones where they are an obvious series within walkable distance. If some were added later I'd feel a bit cheated!

At the request of the CO, I recently published a 7 cache series, 6+ Bonus over 7 days. Each one going out at 06:00. The feedback that the CO got, some of which he shared with me. Was that people appreciated being given the chance of going for the FTF.

The first cache page made it clear it was the first of 6 leading to the bonus.

Deci

i think they should all be published at the same time and i say this as as someone who doesn't care one way or another about FTFs.

i just don't like the idea of people trying to manipulate who gets, or doesn't get, the FTF by staggering the release of caches.

also, where's the satisfaction in getting an FTF when deep down you know you only got it because everything possible had been done to deter the local FTF hounds?

also, where's the satisfaction in getting an FTF when deep down you know you only got it because everything possible had been done to deter the local FTF hounds?

Drifting off topic slightly:

A few months ago I (MrsD would have nothing to do with it :( ) figured out where a a number of new caches had been placed and went to claim FTF on one before they were published.

The smug feeling soon passes when you realise that half the fun of FTF is beating everyone else to it.

As it happened the series got held up so I went out again once they were published because the date in the logbook was so old! :(

(I wouldn't bother doing it again :( )

Mark

When we set our Abberley Advent[ure] series last Christmas we originally planned to get one published per day from 1st December to 24th

However, the local FTF hounds :) weren't put off with going out every day (or night) so after the first half dozen or so we got the remainder published in one go.

This meant that there two or three other cachers got FTFs as well...

As one of the "not so local" hounds, we worked out that we would have to travel over 1200 miles to attempt all FTF's had they been published daily :lol: It would have been worth it though, it really is an excellent series :D