I am done talking about it

I got my PN-60 for $310. From the little I have used it, it is nice and for me worth the upgrade. I started saving when I found out about it. There is nothing wrong with the PN-40 and like Pax42 said, If you can do it go for the PN-60 if not The -40 is a great unit. For me it would come down to what I can afford.

Thanks

The price went up. I ordered it a week before it came out and it was $307.99 and $19 for 2 day shipping. If you would like send me an e-mail and I will send you a copy of the invoice. I did notice as the ship date got closer a lot of retailers prices went up. Google it and then go to shopping results. They will have all of there retailers listed. Cool E-buys has it right now for $308.

Thanks

If you can afford it then the 60 definitely but if you can't then there is nothing wrong with the 40. Remember if you buy the 60 or 40 you have to get a SDHC card. That can cost a few extra dollars. I have the 40 and with the new Topo 9.0 and 2.8 firmware I can do just about whatever the base model 60 can except mine is not as pretty to look at. The difference I see is of course price, Internal memory but since I have everything on the SD card that is not that big of a deal, User Interface(60 looks really nice), Battery life( I only use mine for geocaching and small hikes the 7-8 hrs I get out of the NIMH rechargable batteries is more than enough for me)and some processing speed. The most important stuff as far as operation and now being able to load GPX files,tracks and waypoints directly to my SD card, I really don't think the fact that the 60 will hold more of those internally makes that much difference but I could be wrong on that. I have only had the topo 9.0 for 2 days now but I can already see that it was a great upgrade and so far has worked perfectly.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

I would not get either. DeLorme has issues. Stay with a Garmin and you will happy.

Yeah, right! (emphasis on the "right").

Why so many posts of those trying to "unload" stale caches out of their newer Garmins? Seems to be so many need to ask.

I would think they could at least (all manufacturers) make things a little more user friendly instead of techno-only friendly. :(

It seems to me they all have issues with something. Each has a different issue. :mad:

BTW, dumping stale/unwanted caches or waypoints from a Delorme is easy. Two methods on doing it, also. Either individually -- from most any screen, no need to access "files" -- or as a mass unload using the geocaching symbol(s).

I would not get either. DeLorme has issues. Stay with a Garmin and you will happy.

Please elaborate on the issues that I may have with delorme.

Thank you

Hud

You might search for and then review his previous 56 posts for such information.

Nevertheless, although he uses the term "either", I doubt if you will find any regarding the PN-60 citing hands-on experience.

...please elaborate on the issues that I may have with delorme.
Mr. Taylor was presumably unhappy with his PN-40 and returned it to DeLorme within 30 days of purchase, many many months ago. After doing so he has chosen to come in here sometimes to shout "Don't buy DeLorme!" and will sometimes stick around long enough to start an argument -- but it's awfully hard to extract any useful information from those exchanges. Edited by lee_rimar

Yea and pay 120$ to upgrade your maps.

All of them have issues. I hear more than one person complaining they just spent 500$ on a garmin and can't see the screen in the sun. I have a nuvi 205W and I like it also but I went to upload new maps for it and they wanted 120$ for a one time upgrade and I forget how much for a yearly subscription but it was not cheap EITHER!! With delorme I get the map subsription for 30$ a year and can download as many as I want plus with the 2.8 firmware I no longer need to buy GSAK which saves me 30$. The biggest delorme draw back to me is screen size but since it is easy to see in the sun or otherwise I can live with that.

...nuvi 205W... I went to upload new maps for it and they wanted 120$ for a one time upgrade and I forget how much for a yearly subscription but it was not cheap EITHER!
Minor points of information: Garmin's nuMap subscription https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=33379 is $120 but that's a lifetime susbscription, not a one-off or yearly subscription. Typically map updates come out quarterly. Pay once, upgrade your maps forever. Garmin's Birdseye imagery subscription is $30/year, same as DeLorme -- but Garmin's coverage is international and DeLorme's isn't (yet).

Now to ignore the troll and bring the map question back to the OP's quest: Garmin and DeLorme have different pricing models for their map products and considerable difference in map availability, making it hard to compare them. So I'll try anyhow... :mad:

In my opinion: Out of the box for a U.S. user, the advantage is to DeLorme -- they give you everything you need to start in one package at one price.

BUT down the road? Advantage Garmin. Lifetime map updates available for a fixed price, huge availability of custom maps, ability to create your own or download from many commercial sources as well as free "crowd-sourced" libraries (gpsfiledepot being the best example of the latter). International maps are available both for $ from Garmin and free from gpsfiledepot et al.

DeLorme map updates come out sort of yearly and basically involve buying a complete new software package if you want it (Topo 9 is $99 MSRP, $60 upgrade for folks with prior version). You can create your own maps if you buy another program from DeLorme (XMap, versions starting at $100) and there are no public repositories of crowd-sourced maps -- because DeLorme's licensing doesn't allow for it. International maps (outside of North America) are not available but promised to be coming real soon now, pricing not known yet.

I need more coffee :(

Edited by lee_rimar
...nuvi 205W... I went to upload new maps for it and they wanted 120$ for a one time upgrade and I forget how much for a yearly subscription but it was not cheap EITHER!
Minor points of information: Garmin's nuMap subscription https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=33379 is $120 but that's a lifetime susbscription, not a one-off or yearly subscription. Typically map updates come out quarterly. Pay once, upgrade your maps forever. Garmin's Birdseye imagery subscription is $30/year, same as DeLorme -- but Garmin's coverage is international and DeLorme's isn't (yet).

Now to ignore the troll and bring the map question back to the OP's quest: Garmin and DeLorme have different pricing models for their map products and considerable difference in map availability, making it hard to compare them. So I'll try anyhow... :mad:

In my opinion: Out of the box for a U.S. user, the advantage is to DeLorme -- they give you everything you need to start in one package at one price.

BUT down the road? Advantage Garmin. Lifetime map updates available for a fixed price, huge availability of custom maps, ability to create your own or download from many commercial sources as well as free "crowd-sourced" libraries (gpsfiledepot being the best example of the latter). International maps are available both for $ from Garmin and free from gpsfiledepot et al.

DeLorme map updates come out sort of yearly and basically involve buying a complete new software package if you want it (Topo 9 is $99 MSRP, $60 upgrade for folks with prior version). You can create your own maps if you buy another program from DeLorme (XMap, versions starting at $100) and there are no public repositories of crowd-sourced maps -- because DeLorme's licensing doesn't allow for it. International maps (outside of North America) are not available but promised to be coming real soon now, pricing not known yet.

I need more coffee :(

Stuff like this is what really makes me a bit nervous about buying a unit. THe stuff that you need down the road, how much will it cost, will it even be available????

Service after the sale is what I want just as much as a I would like a quality gps unit.

Hud

It's also worth noting that Garmin (last I checked) ties your Birdseye imagery to a single GPSr. So if you own multiple Garmin devices, you can only put that imagery on one of them for that $30/year, and if you pony up for a second subscription for your wife's Garmin too, you'll have to re-download it all from Garmin.

DeLorme's model is "buy the subscription, download it for use on any of our GPSrs you own, plus the desktop software."

Stuff like this is what really makes me a bit nervous about buying a unit.
That's life.

Collect all the info you can and decide what matters to you. You might never need your GPS out of North America. You might be happy upgrading your maps every year, every other year, or never. You might decide you really don't need aerial imagery displayed on the GPS.

Pick what suits you now and for the foreseeable future. If the unforeseen happens, eBay or craigslist it and get something new. No big deal.

Go buy something already, will ya? The recession won't end itself if you keep the money in yer wallet!

...also worth noting that Garmin (last I checked) ties your Birdseye imagery to a single GPSr.
Good point. As I said, their product and pricing models are hard to compare. G and D each come at this from different directions and it reflects their market focus.

Garmin does lock many of their mapping products to whatever device you register it for. Birdseye imagery, for example. But any content you create yourself, you can distribute any way you like -- which is why there are so many free and commercially available 3rd party maps for Garmin models. This is because Garmin is mainly interested in selling GPS units.

DeLorme just asks that you don't install their software on more than 2 computers, and you can install maps you create on any GPS you can connect directly to your system. But their license says you can't distribute maps you create (whether with their downloaded content or your own) EXCEPT on a GPS you own. Which is why there are almost no maps for DeLorme products except for what they offer themselves. This is because DeLorme is mainly interested in selling maps.

As I said to Hud, you gotta consider both ways of doing things and decide what suits you best.

That only includes street maps. If you want topos then you have to buy the dvd's at $129 a set, which just like delorme you will have to pay every time they update it. With delorme you get all that plus more and it's only 30$ a month and 59$ for topo upgrades(100$ for new purchases) which in the long run probably works out the same.

nüMaps Lifetime is a 1-time purchase that lets you download the most up-to-date map information on streets, highways and points of interest as soon as new content is available — for the lifetime¹ of your Garmin device.
Yes great deal but as you see you still have to buy topos and that is $129 per set for 4 sets.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=35407&pvID=36718

So really garmin is not cheaper except for street maps. Which is good but when your off the trail looking for caches street maps do very little. I do agree though that there are many 3rd party sites to get garmin maps so that is an advantage. I have a garmin for the street and use the 40 for my geocaching. Today the topo came in real handy for one cache and would have for another if I had really looked at the map and followed the trail that was on my GPS!!! :mad::(

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

Team_SearchGeo, I'm amused by the phrase "you have to buy."

Nobody HAS to buy anything. If you want Garmin's topos for the entire US - or just one region, buy them. If you want free maps from gpsfiledepot or, for the entire US or just one region, you can download them for free.

And this is another spot where comparing Garmin's extra-cost maps to Delorme's included-in-the price maps isn't really a straight-up comparison: Garmin's topo maps are 24K scale; DeLorme's included topos are roughly the equivalent of 100K maps -- considerably coarser than Garmin's.

If I planned to hike the entire continent, getting all the maps in one low price might be a bargain. If I was only interested in one region, having the highest quality maps I could find for that region might make more sense. As I said to Hud, you gotta consider both ways of doing things and decide what suits you best.

Hmm... there's an echo in here.

Edited by lee_rimar

Thank you

Hud

Hud

It seems the DeLome apologist society has attacked me before I have even had a chance to respond to your question.

I have two main concerns with the DeLorme. Hardware and Software.

The DeLorme I had, had a battery life of about 20 to 30 minutes. Also the screen was too small. It also was not very user friendly. I like a unit that I can hit the ground running with and not have to spend a tremendous amount of time reading a manual. I'm sure there are people that love to read technical manuals but I'm just not one of them.

The software I had to purchase in addition was called Cache Advance and it never worked at all. It would fail ever time I tried to launch it.

I did enjoy the accuracy of the DeLorme though. It was the best I have ever seem. Again the group that attacks me here all the time seems to forget that I posted favorable remarks too.

I wish you well and hope you are happy with your purchase.

WB

Thank you

Hud

Hud

It seems the DeLome apologist society has attacked me before I have even had a chance to respond to your question.

Conveniently leaving out the parts where DeLorme reached out to attempt to help you, and you didn't take them up on it again?
The software I had to purchase in addition was called Cache Advance and it never worked at all. It would fail ever time I tried to launch it.
As lee_rimar notes above, no one has to buy anything. But if you're going to complain about a piece of software, at least get the name right instead of maligning the name of a company which sells geocaching gear.
Actually, the only comments made in response to your post of a week or so back were someone suggesting Hud could review your earlier posts, and me giving a one-paragraph recap as I saw it.

I am far from a DeLorme apologist. At any given moment I probably have more Delormistas mad at me than anyone else on this forum. And I really don't think I "attacked" you -- I'll stand by the negative recap I gave of your posting history. You poke your head in once in a while to say "Don't buy DeLorme" but the actual informative content is pretty low. A critique of the posting history, nothing more.

But since you feel offended, I'll make a completely unbiased suggestion to Hud: Please follow Cowboy's original advice to look up Mr. Taylor's previous posts. Try not to be swayed by personalities on either side and just make your own decisions based on the content.

Fair enough?

Edited by lee_rimar

Please follow Cowboy's original advice to look up Mr. Taylor's previous posts. Try not to be swayed by personalities on either side and just make your own decisions based on the content.

Fair enough?

Huge Roger that!!! I love to be quoted in a positive context!! :huh:

Personal note: And while I probably carry the aura of a "DeLorme fanboy",

also look up my previous posts and you will find a paucity of pejoratives persuant to Garmins. :laughing:

Thank you

Hud

Hud

I have two main concerns with the DeLorme. Hardware and Software.

The DeLorme I had, had a battery life of about 20 to 30 minutes. Also the screen was too small. It also was not very user friendly. I like a unit that I can hit the ground running with and not have to spend a tremendous amount of time reading a manual. I'm sure there are people that love to read technical manuals but I'm just not one of them.

I did enjoy the accuracy of the DeLorme though. It was the best I have ever seem. Again the group that attacks me here all the time seems to forget that I posted favorable remarks too.

I wish you well and hope you are happy with your purchase.

WB

I have no dog in this fight. I have a Magellan Crossover 2500T. It's a piece of garbage, but I'm cool with it.

Regardless, any GPS with a witnessed battery life of 20-30 minutes is obviously an individual component issue, and certainly not representative of their production in general. I am sorry that personally and anecdotally you have had a poor experience with a Delorme unit, but in my view it clearly seems that the PN-60w is the best GPS on the market.

Magellan? I thought sure he'd go for an iPhone 4!

:unsure:

It IS funny though. When someone complains about a product, at least a few people can be counted on to look at the complainer's cache finds or posting history and then try to brand them as a troll. Hud's been a member for over 2 years, no cache finds, never a forum post except to ask what he should buy...

Troll? Or just VERY careful comparison shopper?

Okay, we'll suggest sock puppet as well. But with very careful definitions:

• Sock Puppet: Someone posting under an alternate user ID, to avoid drawing fire upon their regular one.
  • Troll: Someone who posts just for the entertainment value of seeing what kind of response they get.

The line can be blurry, of course. And it's altogether possible that Hud is just what I said a couple posts back, a VERY careful shopper. But two-years-plus without buying anything? Folks like that cause economic downturns :unsure:

Edited by lee_rimar

Okay, we'll suggest sock puppet as well. But with very careful definitions:

• Sock Puppet: Someone posting under an alternate user ID, to avoid drawing fire upon their regular one.
  • Troll: Someone who posts just for the entertainment value of seeing what kind of response they get.

The line can be blurry, of course. And it's altogether possible that Hud is just what I said a couple posts back, a VERY careful shopper. But two-years-plus without buying anything? Folks like that cause economic downturns :D

Duly noted! :)