Recommend me Caches around Perth Scotland

I'll be in Perthshire attending the Mega Event this summer. There are a LOT of caches in the area but I won't have time for them all. I'm looking for a short list of truly interesting ones. I like hiking, hill climbs, history, scenic vistas and adventure. That rules out lamp post, road sign, urban micro, stealth and other <yawn> lame types of caches. Please suggest ones you found you enjoyed. Thanks!!

Coupar Angus et al

I expect that as we get closer to the event that some of the locals will create bookmark lists of the best caches in the area. Best puzzles, best trads, best family caches, best physical challenge caches etc.........

If bookmarks are not already in the planning stages - then maybe this thread could be a subtle *cough* to some Perthshire cachers! :)

Cache recommendations are something a lot of visitors will appriciate, especially for puzzles etc that need to be solved ahead of time, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread :laughing:

I expect that as we get closer to the event that some of the locals will create bookmark lists of the best caches in the area. Best puzzles, best trads, best family caches, best physical challenge caches etc.........

If bookmarks are not already in the planning stages - then maybe this thread could be a subtle *cough* to some Perthshire cachers! :)

Cache recommendations are something a lot of visitors will appriciate, especially for puzzles etc that need to be solved ahead of time, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread :laughing:

nothing happening in perth this year is there?

If bookmarks are not already in the planning stages - then maybe this thread could be a subtle *cough* to some Perthshire cachers! :lol:

Cache recommendations are something a lot of visitors will appriciate, especially for puzzles etc that need to be solved ahead of time, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread :lol:

I don't feel as though I have done enough caches in Perth and surrounding area to do a bookmark list myself. If you re-post your suggestion on the Mega Scotland forum it may be more likely that a local cacher will see your suggestion and hopefully make some lists up.

There are still an abundance of caches being placed for the mega, and most of them are good caches.

Hoping some will be in the city centre or within walking distance of there as it looks a bit hilly out of town for me.

Yet again I have given the impression that I know exactly what is happening, but alas I don't. I know that there are still caches being placed for the mega, but where they are being placed I couldn't tell you.

There are a good few caches within striking distance of the main venue, but as some of them are micros there may be a possibility that they will get disabled for the duration of the event. I suspect that any disablements will be down to individual cache owners though.

...but as some of them are micros there may be a possibility that they will get disabled for the duration of the event. I suspect that any disablements will be down to individual cache owners though.

now, I can't say micro's get me off kinda thing, but the above seriously makes no sense?

Care to elaborate?

...but as some of them are micros there may be a possibility that they will get disabled for the duration of the event. I suspect that any disablements will be down to individual cache owners though.

now, I can't say micro's get me off kinda thing, but the above seriously makes no sense?

Care to elaborate?

It has been proven that micros close to a mega venue really doesn't give the correct type of caching experience. Those who were at Harrogate joining the mile long queues for 1 cache will know what I mean. The log gets full and not everyone can sign it. So when I was on the committee it was suggested that it may be prudent to suggest to local cache owners that micros and more so nanos should be disabled.

Some cache owners may not think that they should disable for the duration others will. It's down to personal opinion and I know if it was one of mine that was in close proximity I would disable it for the duration.

Please also take note that my comments including those that have been quoted is myself surmising on what may happen.

It has been proven that micros close to a mega venue really doesn't give the correct type of caching experience. Those who were at Harrogate joining the mile long queues for 1 cache will know what I mean. The log gets full and not everyone can sign it. So when I was on the committee it was suggested that it may be prudent to suggest to local cache owners that micros and more so nanos should be disabled.

Some cache owners may not think that they should disable for the duration others will. It's down to personal opinion and I know if it was one of mine that was in close proximity I would disable it for the duration.

Please also take note that my comments including those that have been quoted is myself surmising on what may happen.

Don't jump to conclusions there - the queues will form regardless of cache size. You put 1000 cachers in a town then queues are are going to be a fact of life.

My most popular cache in Weston - and the one people repeatedly came to talk to me about was a nano. Anthing bigger wouldn't have worked in that location but the cache provided fun for lots of people.

Agree about the log sheets - but I'd say regular matainence trips every day and a few of times on mega day will negate that. Make it easy on yourselves and ask some a non-local cachers (like me :D ) to go out with replacement logs at the same time they go to find them!

Oooooh read that - a whole seven lines were I encourage micros :lol: Let me just go check my temperature :D:lol::D

Edited by *mouse*

Well like I said it is down to personal opinion.

One of my favourite caches whilst in Weston was indeed your nano Splish, Splash, Cache & Dash, which in my opinion highlights my point nicely. Despite everyone including myself enjoying it, it didn't last for much longer after the event. Could that have been due to the amount of activity around it?? A question that perhaps we will never know the answer to!

If a cache owner doesn't want their long standing cache being disrupted and drawing a huge amount of attention to it then they should seriously think about disabling it for the event. If they are happy for the hiding location to be compromised then they should leave it as it is.

Anyway we shall just have to wait and see what happens, as I have already said I am just surmising on what may happen.

LOL :lol:

Hard to say what the survival rate of the nano would have been long term. it didn't survive the week that's for sure, but the decision to archive was personal rather than to do with the location per se. If I'd replaced the container and left it active it may have survived, it may not. Guess we'll never know!

Probably not relevant, but of the caches I put out in Weston it was the micros and the regulars survived and are still active. All the smalls disappeared over the next few weeks / months.

Edited by *mouse*

If bookmarks are not already in the planning stages - then maybe this thread could be a subtle *cough* to some Perthshire cachers! :lol:

Cache recommendations are something a lot of visitors will appriciate, especially for puzzles etc that need to be solved ahead of time, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread :D

Fabulous idea *mouse*; we'll get onto it right away! :D

(but first I'll have to read the instructions on making bookmarks first! :lol: )

As a starter can I point you all in the direction of the caches placed in areas of woodland in Perthshire which are collectively known as 'Big Tree Country'. The caches are all placed under the Dair Mor account, which can be found here - Dair Mor Profile

It is correct that a small number of caches in the city centre have been archived, but some new caches have being placed. For example a multi based in and around Perth train station has been archived as we didn't want to risk causing a security issue in the station.

Hope this helps.

Well I got one good recommendation in private mail - thanks! Too many Dair Mor caches to nail it down better. If I can be candid, I find it hard to believe someone can put out 150 truly worthwhile caches! I've been at this for nearly ten years so I have some experience in these matters. :lol: I wish I could do a search based on area & colourful adjectives in the logs. That would nail it down!

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Well I got one good recommendation in private mail - thanks! Too many Dair Mor caches to nail it down better. If I can be candid, I find it hard to believe someone can put out 150 truly worthwhile caches! I've been at this for nearly ten years so I have some experience in these matters. :lol: I wish I could do a search based on area & colourful adjectives in the logs. That would nail it down!

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I have nothing to do with the placing of the Dair Mor caches and am not connected with the Mega in Perth.

However, I have looked at some of the cache pages for the Big Tree caches so far and they look excellent. As the Dair Mor account is fully supported by the landowners, they have not only been able to pay for the (better than average) containers and contents but have been in a unique position to place caches at great locations in some fantastic woodland.

Well I got one good recommendation in private mail - thanks! Too many Dair Mor caches to nail it down better. If I can be candid, I find it hard to believe someone can put out 150 truly worthwhile caches! I've been at this for nearly ten years so I have some experience in these matters. :D I wish I could do a search based on area & colourful adjectives in the logs. That would nail it down!

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Perhaps you might want to look at a few of the Dair Mor caches before you decide if they are worthwhile or not.

150 caches to date, all regular boxes, the best stocked caches in perthshire, a considerable amount of time has been spent on setting them and no expense spared.

Take a look at a few of these :D

Long walks as you requested, set in the beautiful forests and countryside of perthshire,

Examples ........

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...16-24f54474dea2

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...70-cd43ca568473

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ce-46013418798c

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d0-94264b8eda3c

If you want a longer walk still, try the Dair Mor Cateran series - a 64mile/103km circular route and definately worthwhile caches.

You asked for walks, Dair Mor has them, no micros, not a single nano, don't judge till you have tried a few! :lol::lol:

There are still an abundance of caches being placed for the mega, and most of them are good caches.

Hoping some will be in the city centre or within walking distance of there as it looks a bit hilly out of town for me.

Plenty of local caches within Perth itself for those who like urban caching and very few micros or nano's.

Despite being surrounded by hills, Perth itself is flat for you. Lots along the riverbank through the park to explore, plenty to keep you busy. :lol:

Cache recommendations are something a lot of visitors will appriciate, especially for puzzles etc that need to be solved ahead of time, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread :lol:

I wasn't planning on doing any bookmarks myself so will join in the coughing if anyone else has time?

- however I can say that we hope to get all our caches out by the end of this month so that people can do their PQ's and start planning just what they want to do whilst here.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I believe I may be correct in saying that the Dair Mor account is more of an initiative with the Big Tree Country, (which is a subsidiary of the council) and the Mega Scotland team to get good quality caches placed in the woodland areas of the county for the mega event and beyond. This particular project was the suggestion of the Big Tree Country and they have sponsored it, allowing many well stocked and decent caches to be placed in lovely woodland locations.

With yourself being a person that has two virtual caches in Big Tree Country woodland, one would think that despite living in foreign lands that you perhaps know the area and the quality of the woodlands? So my second suggestion is pick a cluster of Dair Mor caches that you can get to and enjoy a lovely hike through the woods. Well, I say it's my second suggestion, but it is very similar to the first! :lol: