FTF for micros

i never put a FTF in micros, kinda hard to fit anything in it

for regular caches we put a $2 coin/Gift Card at the famous Tim Hortons coffee shop, which is enough for a couple of medium coffees

your container sounds very small but if it was the size of a film canister you could perhaps put an unactivated micro coin, or maybe a

FTF prizes are neither common in most areas or expected. I've put one in maybe a dozen or so of my nearly 300 hidden caches and found only 1 in out of roughly two dozen FTFs.

If you still want to give an FTF prize, why not hide it somewhere near the cache and put the cords for it in the micro?

I did this once when the FTF prize was way too big to fit in the cache (it was a hydration backpack). I wrapped it in a few layers of garbage bags and found a hiding place for it about 100 yards from the cache.

Edited by briansnat

Prizes for FTF are not needed.

Well, this is true. Nor is immortalizing them for all eternity on the cache page. :blink: I dunno, you could put a buck or two in there. Assuming you're not Canadian, I don't think you'd fit a looney or twoney in there. And a Five spot would be a bit much.

FTF prizes are neither common in most areas or expected. I've put one in maybe a dozen or so of my nearly 300 hidden caches and found only 1 in out of roughly two dozen FTFs.

If you still want to give an FTF prize, why not hide it somewhere near the cache and put the cords for it in the micro?

I did this once when the FTF prize was way to big to fit in the cache (it was a hydration backpack). I wrapped it in a few layers of garbage bags and found a hiding place for it about 100 yards from the cache.

that's a good idea, thanks :blink:

I know that it is not needed, but one of my daughters really want to put something "in" it for the FTF since it is the first that she is placing.

I did this once when the FTF prize was way to big to fit in the cache (it was a hydration backpack). I wrapped it in a few layers of garbage bags and found a hiding place for it about 100 yards from the cache.

that's a good idea, thanks :blink:

I know that it is not needed, but one of my daughters really want to put something "in" it for the FTF since it is the first that she is placing.

Maybe you can put the FTF prize in a new Lock n Lock. Making it a double prize with the finder getting to keep the container as well and use it as a cache container.

Prizes for FTF are not needed.

Well, this is true. Nor is immortalizing them for all eternity on the cache page. :blink: I dunno, you could put a buck or two in there. Assuming you're not Canadian, I don't think you'd fit a looney or twoney in there. And a Five spot would be a bit much.

For my first hide I put a $5 US bill in for FTF and a Canadian $5 bill for second to find.

Thanks! Lots of good ideas. Guess I really needed to think more "outside the box". :blink:
As seldon (and others) pointed out above, FTF prizes are simply not needed, expected, nor common. FTF'ers are concerned about being the first to find the cache, not about what they may find in it, aside from a blank log. I've been FTF on a few caches over the years that did have FTF prizes in them, and I just left them there. Personally, I would love it if the whole concept were to fade into obscurity.
Thanks! Lots of good ideas. Guess I really needed to think more "outside the box". :blink:
As seldon (and others) pointed out above, FTF prizes are simply not needed, expected, nor common. FTF'ers are concerned about being the first to find the cache, not about what they may find in it, aside from a blank log. I've been FTF on a few caches over the years that did have FTF prizes in them, and I just left them there. Personally, I would love it if the whole concept were to fade into obscurity.

I always appreciate it when there is a brass band there to hail my achievement, particularly if there is a tuba in the group. Someone once gave me a stocked ammo can or two for being the first to sign the log in a couple of his micros. Those were put to good use and I was able to meet the cacher when he was in my area, which was even nicer. But I am still on my "give the prize to the third to find because they are doing it for reasons other than a blank log" theme.

Edited by mulvaney

We've been lucky enough to get a FTF prize or three. And enjoyed the surprise, and we've returned the favors. We've put unactivated geocoins in a couple of caches and on one occasion a newbie found one of my caches (a micro) and his log read, "Nobody else has signed the log yet???". When I checked his profile and saw his low numbers we emailed him and asked if it was his first ever FTF. He said, "I guess." We told him that deserved a FTF prize and gave him his first ever geocoin. We met up with him (as you can imagine he was slightly skeptical) gave it to him, and taught him about trackables.

Turns out we've a lot in common, not just geocaching, and we have become real good friends. (The real prize!!!)

That is also how we happened to meet another good geobud, only the shoe was on the other foot and we met up with them after scorin' FTF on one of their caches.

FTF prizes are not mandatory, and don't break yourself. But if it feels good....................DO IT! :ph34r:

What have people used as a FTF reward in a micro (this one is about 2/3 the size of a film canister). Thanks!

The first FTF we got as a family was placed by a local fireman who included a new station house T-shirt as a prize. My kids were over the moon. When the CO learned that I had multiple kids, he invited us back for a personalized tour of the station and gave us two more shirts. That sent my kids further over the moon.

Since then we've made a practice of paying it forward and back, and have tried to incorporate FTF prizes in our caches where it makes sense.

The one time we left an FTF prize in a micro, it was a cache with an "on location" movie theme. We bought a book about New York's film history from a nearby bookstore and asked them to hold it for a few days, until a particular person came in to claim it. Then we left instructions in the cache to go to the book store and ask if anything had been left for "Dave Ulmer".

It worked pretty well and was fun for both the FTF and the bookstore.

Placing our first cache this weekend, and we are all ready to go,except that I cannot think of a good FTF "prize". What have people used as a FTF reward in a micro (this one is about 2/3 the size of a film canister). Thanks!

five one hundred dollar bills fit inside a film cannister quite nicely :blink: