Thinking of switching GPS

After 100 finds, I decided I really want to go paperless. I purchased a Palm M500 on eBay only to find it doesn't work with Windows 7 and have decided to change GPS devices.

Looking at handhelds, I have narrowed it down to the Oregon line. I'm considering the Oregon 200; are there any advantages to the 300, 400, etc. that I should consider before purchasing a new GPS and selling my six month old GPSmap 60CSx?

Thanks,

Pete

I have the Oregon 200 and while the geocaching features are great the display is very dim compared to the 60Cx series. Outside in sunlight the screen is hard to use without having the backlight on a full strength.

I believe the x50 models have a better display.

I have an Oregon 400t and love it, especially the paperless feature. The only thing that I don't like about it is the brightness of the display. It's fine in low light and bright light, but in between it can be a little difficult to see. I just run the brightness all the way up and make sure I have plenty of rechargeable batteries with me at all times.

You're already getting a theme, above. Right now, you can score an Oregon 450 with its much better display for under $300 with the current Garmin rebate. There are a couple of threads here where people have been describing their 'best deals'. The extra money now will make you a lot happier in the field later.

In addition to the better screen, the 450 has a 3-axis compass (the 200 does not). It will also handle up to 5000 caches at a time instead of 2000.

I bought a Dakota 20, and I'm very happy with it, but Garmin apparently can't decide what the place of the Dakota series is since the Oregons have more features and with the current rebate you can get a Oregon 450 for the same price as I paid for a Dakota 20 a few weeks ago!

You can compare the specs on the different models on the Oregon wiki: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Edited by jopasm

I have an Oregon 400t and love it, especially the paperless feature. The only thing that I don't like about it is the brightness of the display. It's fine in low light and bright light, but in between it can be a little difficult to see. I just run the brightness all the way up and make sure I have plenty of rechargeable batteries with me at all times.

Okay, you have convinced me. Where do I go to find the Oregon 400t for $300, with the rebate?

Thanks

Okay, you have convinced me. Where do I go to find the Oregon 400t for $300, with the rebate?
Not the 400T, rather the 450. The 400T is an older generation. Get's confusing. :laughing:

Thanks. I found a deal for $341 before the $50 rebate on another thread here. I've ordered the Oregon 400 and should receive it yet this week.

After I get the Oregon going for me, is it best to try to sell my 60CSx through the geocaching site?

Not the 400T, rather the 450. The 400T is an older generation. Get's confusing. :laughing:

Thanks. I found a deal for $341 before the $50 rebate on another thread here. I've ordered the Oregon 400 and should receive it yet this week.

One more time. That was the 450 you ordered for that price, right?

As for your 60CSx, you might want to talk to local cachers. Those using the older eTrex models might find it an appealing upgrade.

After 100 finds, I decided I really want to go paperless. I purchased a Palm M500 on eBay only to find it doesn't work with Windows 7 and have decided to change GPS devices.

Looking at handhelds, I have narrowed it down to the Oregon line. I'm considering the Oregon 200; are there any advantages to the 300, 400, etc. that I should consider before purchasing a new GPS and selling my six month old GPSmap 60CSx?

Thanks,

Pete

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be much difference in the Oregon units except the maps they come with. Although the units ending in 50 (450,550) seem to have a 3 axis electronic compass that will allow you to use the built in compass while the unit is tilted. I've been using an Oregon 400t for the last couple weeks and love it. It's accurate, simple, and the paperless function is great. I pick an area, build a pocket gpx query (premium membership to geocaching.com required) and drop it into the gpx folder on my gps (plugs in via usb). All I do then is load the geocaching profile (tells the gps that you are walking, not to stick to roads, and to use the built in compass), pick a cache near me, and start walking. When I'm close, it beeps and I start looking. Even has descriptions, hints, and logging capabilities. I am going to wait one more week before writing up the review. I currently use my Google Nexus One with [reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator] just to check accuracy and it's spot on every time. Having the maps is nice because you can look at an area you are going to and see all the caches on the map (providing you loaded the gpx files ahead of time). For those people who say it needs a better screen, after some of the units I've tested, I simply turn the back-light off and use the sun for light. Works great. Also, the 400t comes with a great clip to attach it to a belt, backpack, or anything else you can get the metal clip around. As for as sturdiness, you could injure someone with this thing. The unit is rubber covering metal so it's solid.

Edited by Keystone
Not the 400T, rather the 450. The 400T is an older generation. Get's confusing. :P

One more time. That was the 450 you ordered for that price, right?

As for your 60CSx, you might want to talk to local cachers. Those using the older eTrex models might find it an appealing upgrade.

Yes, it is the 450. My typing finger must have been fixated on the 400.

I don't know a lot of cachers around here but it should be easy enough to contact those people that have left caches in the area through the geocaching web site. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks,

Pete

Just my two cents. After 879 finds with Garmins and after attending several events, I noticed cachers using the DeLorme PN-40. I was able look at one that the cachers had and I bought one today. It's about the maps (maps, maps and maps).

BTW, I would keep the 60CSx since that is the most reliable geocaching GPSr there is.

Edited by alohabra

The Garmin Oregon 450 is $314.00 with free shipping on Amazon right now.

I just bought a 450 from Amazon minutes ago. Yes, you can't use the rebate on Amazon purchases, but many of the places you CAN use it (at least the few I checked) have high shipping fees, taxes, or like PCNATION, a BS extra $14-28 fee tacked on because I live in CA...all equaling out (even with the Bing savings calculated in) at $315.

So, why not go with a trusted dealer like Amazon, get free/fast shipping, no tax, and no rebate work? I feel like an expectant father now. :P

Thanks,

Pete

Just my two cents. After 879 finds with Garmins and after attending several events, I noticed cachers using the DeLorme PN-40. I was able look at one that the cachers had and I bought one today. It's about the maps (maps, maps and maps).

BTW, I would keep the 60CSx since that is the most reliable geocaching GPSr there is.

It might be about the maps but with the Garmin BirdsEye, the maps are pretty much the same, and the Garmins are a LOT easier to use, and when zooming in on those aerial maps, the higher resolution screen makes a BIG difference. IMHO the Oregon 450 with the improved screen and compass at $291 (after rebate) is the sweet spot for capability, ease of use and price.

Thanks,

Pete

Don't you dare get rid of that 60!!!! LOL.

The 60 is far and away one of the very best, most reliable, and accurate units on the market (it's one of the units that the Special Forces guys here buy by the armload before leaving the states headed for the sandbox).

At the very least consider keeping it as a back up or for use by other visiting family members, friends, etc. You'll never get for it what you paid for it or what it's worth.

In all seriouness,you really should hold on to it.

Enjoy your new toy in good health!

Be safe.

N

I have both the PN-40 and Oregon 550T. They both do an excellent job. What I like about: PN-40 - better in the light and cursor control is more exact. The Oregon - the touch screen is good, though not as visible in direct light. I also like the option with the PN-40 to enter my name; the same is not available with the 550T. As for accuracy, they both do the job.

I have both the PN-40 and Oregon 550T. They both do an excellent job. What I like about: PN-40 - better in the light and cursor control is more exact. The Oregon - the touch screen is good, though not as visible in direct light. I also like the option with the PN-40 to enter my name; the same is not available with the 550T. As for accuracy, they both do the job.

I have my name on my Oregon 300...it shows on the startup screen. Mine shows for 15 seconds on powerup.

In your Garmin folder, edit the Startup.txt file.

Below is the contents of mine...

<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on -->

<!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated -->

<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->

<display = 15>

<!-- Type your message on the next line -->

Your name here

Your phone number here

Hope that helps!