ticks

cammengaman

does anybody have any home recipes or know where i can buy safe bugsprays prefferably without deet that you have tested and actually work against ticks where i live lymes disease is a big deal i had one on me yesterday which i believe was one luckily i found it on my shirt also what is the best way to apply this stuff just spray it everywhere on yourself or just at any possible openings and hope they dont go past it thanks for your views

Edited by cammengaman

The best, healthiest and funnest non-deet way would be a willing lady-freind with good eyes.

You could check each other.....all in the name of "Good Health" , of course. :sad:

thanks to both of ya on that link theres is plenty of info i missed it some how also ill have to think about the lady thing i might just take my chances with the ticks yap yap yap sorry ladies i love ya :)

The best protection from ticks is to use a DEET based repellent on your skin and a permetrhrin based repellent on your clothing. I'm not sure why you would not want to use a DEET repellent because it has proven to be a safe and effective repellent, actually the most effective repellent known.

The next best method is to avoid tall grass and bushy bushes. That is where ticks await their passing host.

Popular belief (though not quite correct) is that they are in the woods. They may be, but their ability to transfer to a passing host is rare, as most animals (humans included) usually walk around trees -- not so with tall weeds/grasses, and will usually brush past a bush.

Getting into the habit of walking around the periphery of tall grasses and the like, instead of pushing through them. Now, if the cache is secreted in the grass, well... wear light clothing as it makes it much easier to spot them, at least the wood ticks, but they do little beyond making you feel the heeby-jeebies. It is the extremely tiny deer tick that is noted as the Lyme carrier.

When inspecting yourself, look for a tiny, tiny spot that looks more like a flake of dirt (sometimes red dirt).

The best protection from ticks is to use a DEET based repellent on your skin and a permetrhrin based repellent on your clothing. I'm not sure why you would not want to use a DEET repellent because it has proven to be a safe and effective repellent, actually the most effective repellent known.

iv always been told deet works great but can give you other problems ill do some reaserch on it maybe the scientist changed there mind again :sad:

This is what I have used with great success for 5 years now. great for chiggers, too, which I hate worse than ticks. The only time DEET/Permethrin doesn't work for me is when I leave it in the truck and rush off to the cache because it's "only" a short distance away.

Here is a good write up on tick protection done by By ArcticAbn and posted on the MnGCA org site. write up

One thing not mention is the toxicity of Permethrin to cats. The stuff is very toxic, wet or dry, to cats and everything that is treated with it should be kept away from them.

Edited by IBcrashen

If you do get a tick on you, do not try to remove it with alcohol or a lighter. The bacteria that causes Lyme disease is in the ticks digestive tract. Once a tick finishes feeding it vomits some of the blood it ate back into the wound. This is when the infection occurs. If you force the tick out with alcohol or a lighter they automatically vomit. Take a pair of tweezers and grab the tick at its head. In order to make sure you got the whole tick, you should pull loose a small tag of your skin. If you pull of the ticks body but the head remains in your skin, you run into the same problem of the tick vomiting.

iv always been told deet works great but can give you other problems ill do some reaserch on it maybe the scientist changed there mind again :laughing:

DEET is one of the safest consumer products out there. Over the past half century It has been used by hundreds of millions of people without ill effect.

Aspirin and Tylenol are far, far more dangerous. When DEET is used as directed there have been very few documented adverse reactions beyond an occasional rash. Problems occur when people do things like bathe in the stuff, use high concentrations for extended periods o time, or drink it.

iv always been told deet works great but can give you other problems ill do some reaserch on it maybe the scientist changed there mind again :laughing:

DEET is one of the safest consumer products out there. Over the past half century It has been used by hundreds of millions of people without ill effect.

Aspirin and Tylenol are far, far more dangerous. When DEET is used as directed there have been very few documented adverse reactions beyond an occasional rash. Problems occur when people do things like bathe in the stuff, use high concentrations for extended periods o time, or drink it.

What would possess somebody to do this? Wow...

I had to de-tick myself and kids yesterday a number of times. After a day of woodsy 'caching I had them hop in the shower and checked them over for ticks. Despite the constant checking, I ended up having to get the tweezers and removed some from each. They are easily overlooked as they just looked like freckles until closer inspection. Freckles don't have tiny legs.

thank you all for your responses im going to go ahead and buy isecticed and give it a go i think if i use it within reason maybe 1 or 2 a week i should be fine plus brainsnat made a good point on one of the other forums a little insectiside or limes disease pretty easy decision

thank you all for your responses im going to go ahead and buy isecticed and give it a go i think if i use it within reason maybe 1 or 2 a week i should be fine plus brainsnat made a good point on one of the other forums a little insectiside or limes disease pretty easy decision

I'd stick with a repellant rather than use an insecticide.