GPS recommendation

I'd like to get a hand held GPS that is not only good for geocaching, but can also be used for driving, with turn by turn voice commands. Thanks for any input.

Good luck getting a handheld with voice commands - I don't think I've ever heard of one.

I was afraid of that.

I'd like to get a hand held GPS that is not only good for geocaching, but can also be used for driving, with turn by turn voice commands. Thanks for any input.

Good luck getting a handheld with voice commands - I don't think I've ever heard of one.

I was afraid of that.

Nuvi 500, not quite a hand held. Ruggedized geocaching automotive unit that talks.

i have the garmin gpsmap 60csx and i love it. turn by turn(no voice) and great for cacheing as well. the unit has excellent satellite reception and has not let me down yet. hope this helps

With handhelds you need to pay extra for routable maps. A routable maps comes as part of the nuvi purchase price.

i have the garmin gpsmap 60csx and i love it. turn by turn(no voice) and great for cacheing as well. the unit has excellent satellite reception and has not let me down yet. hope this helps

With handhelds you need to pay extra for routable maps. A routable maps comes as part of the nuvi purchase price.

Not quite true. I'm not sure if the Lowrance models have routable maps in the box (voice turn-by-turn for the Safari is extra) but Delorme PN models definately do.

Lowrance Endura Sierra has voice commands.

Not quite true. I'm not sure if the Lowrance models have routable maps in the box (voice turn-by-turn for the Safari is extra) but Delorme PN models definately do.

The DeLormes do but their routing software is incredibly primitive and just marginally useful for automotive navigation. I had hoped for much better from a company that made its name through maps.

I use the 60CSX for road navigation and it works quite well. No voice prompts, but it alerts you to a turn with beeps and written instructions appear on the screen. Not perfect but good enough for me.

Edited by briansnat

The DeLormes do but their routing software is incredibly primitive and just marginally useful for automotive navigation. I had hoped for much better from a company that made its name through maps.

It is my experience that it is possible to route the Delorme PN-40 all the way across (or under) the Hudson river from the middle of New Jersey to Long Island, NY these days with the current firmware. :anicute:

The Delorme navigation method, as applied to the PN-40, is quite powerful and adaptable, but does not at this time have as much advance warning of lane changes as is desirable. Nor does it deliberately detour through certain complicated "showcase" interchanges to display the few instances of advanced Lane Signage, as some car navigation devices do. (However the PN-40 does admittedly make out of the way detours accidentally through some major interchanges unless the user inserts Vias to send the route in a desired shorter direction.)

Primitive the PN-40 navigation is not. Powerful it is. But it does not contain text to voice audible navigation, nor as many preplanned scripted routes as some of the other devices. On the other hand, the car based navigation system may be far less adaptable and really only shine in getting through the next intersection.

Sorry about that, just thinking of Garmins.

If price isn't an object, I'm going to suggest getting two gps units. Otherwise your choice is a handheld GPS that can route (but not always as capably as a dedicated automotive GPS) or a car GPS that can be carried like a handheld, but will have a smaller screen than other car GPS units.

What's your primary purpose? If you primarily need a good car GPS get something like the Nuvi 500 - waterproof, has road and topo maps, can be used to find caches and navigate on road. If you primarily need a good handheld this thread is full of good suggestions. I'm partial to Garmin but they don't offer voice prompts on their handheld lines. I've had awful experiences with Magellan and will not buy one. DeLorme and Lowrance have really been ramping up their products and have some good handheld units out.

Still, I'd recommend getting a good handheld and a good car GPS. If money really isn't the issue why compromise on a "jack of all trades, master of none" solution?

Not really a GPS but my Touch Pro 2 from T-Mobile will do turn by turn navigation with its built in TeleNav application. I also use it with a free app called GCzII for geocaching.

I really like this phone, it does all those things Apple is claiming only the Iphone does and more! I guess that is why Apple is suing HTC over this phone...

Not really a GPS but my Touch Pro 2 from T-Mobile will do turn by turn navigation with its built in TeleNav application. I also use it with a free app called GCzII for geocaching.

I really like this phone, it does all those things Apple is claiming only the Iphone does and more! I guess that is why Apple is suing HTC over this phone...

For my money, the Lowrance Endura Sierra really rocks for verbal/audible navigation with the Turn by Turn card. calc's and recalcs are nearly instantaneous. Performance easily on par with dedicated auto units. Almost bought a Nuvi until this card came out for this unit. Love it.

Be safe.

N

If price isn't an object, I'm going to suggest getting two gps units. Otherwise your choice is a handheld GPS that can route (but not always as capably as a dedicated automotive GPS) or a car GPS that can be carried like a handheld, but will have a smaller screen than other car GPS units.

What's your primary purpose? If you primarily need a good car GPS get something like the Nuvi 500 - waterproof, has road and topo maps, can be used to find caches and navigate on road. If you primarily need a good handheld this thread is full of good suggestions. I'm partial to Garmin but they don't offer voice prompts on their handheld lines. I've had awful experiences with Magellan and will not buy one. DeLorme and Lowrance have really been ramping up their products and have some good handheld units out.

Still, I'd recommend getting a good handheld and a good car GPS. If money really isn't the issue why compromise on a "jack of all trades, master of none" solution?

That's the best idea I've heard. Thanks!

It is my experience that it is possible to route the Delorme PN-40 all the way across (or under) the Hudson river from the middle of New Jersey to Long Island, NY these days with the current firmware. :)

The Delorme navigation method, as applied to the PN-40, is quite powerful and adaptable, but does not at this time have as much advance warning of lane changes as is desirable. Nor does it deliberately detour through certain complicated "showcase" interchanges to display the few instances of advanced Lane Signage, as some car navigation devices do. (However the PN-40 does admittedly make out of the way detours accidentally through some major interchanges unless the user inserts Vias to send the route in a desired shorter direction.)

Primitive the PN-40 navigation is not. Powerful it is. But it does not contain text to voice audible navigation, nor as many preplanned scripted routes as some of the other devices. On the other hand, the car based navigation system may be far less adaptable and really only shine in getting through the next intersection.

It's possible to route anywhere with the PN40. What I mean by primitive are issues like:

-The PN40 doesn't show text instructions on the map mscreen. My 60CSX does.

-The PN40 doesn't tell me what lane I need to be in. My 60CSX does.

-When a turn is coming up the PN40 doesn't show a closeup screen of the intersection. My 60CSX does.

-When a turn is coming up the PN40's backlight doesn't automatically come on. My 60CSX's does.

-The PN40 doesn't seem to know about many "jughandles" and directs me to turn left across the highway (illegal) rather than use the jughandle. My 60CSX knows about them and directs me to use them.

-The PN40 doesn't automatically recalculate a route when I miss a turn very well. In cities it goes into a recalc loop and will sit there recalculating for minutes on end. Sometimes I need to stop the car to allow the recalc take place. My 60CSX recalculates a route on the fly in a matter of seconds.

-I can't set the PN40 to avoid toll roads, highways, U-turns, etc. I can do that with my 60CSX.

-In the database of services and businesses I can't choose restaurants by type of cuisine. I can with my 60CSX.

-Every autorouting GPS gives users a "where the heck is this thing taking me?" moment. It happens far more often with my PN40 than with my 60CSX or Nuvi.

Edited by briansnat

I use the 60CSX for road navigation and it works quite well. No voice prompts, but it alerts you to a turn with beeps and written instructions appear on the screen. Not perfect but good enough for me.

On my PN-40 it does tell you which road is next and what direction to turn. I agree it is not the best, but it comes with it and if you really need to use it it will work. I tried it out in Green Bay the other day to find places I wanted to go. It worked OK, but the Garmin routing is better and easyer to use for auto routing. The best way to go is to buy a Nuvi and load POI through GSAK and then use your hand held to find the cache. I think the Dakota 20 is a great unit, but I do not like how you do multi's with it. If they ever changed that I would buy one and the 24K Topo and that would be it.

Thanks

Just a remark regarding the often made remark about the "slowness" of the PN-40 routing while driving...

I am still new to using our PN-40 and always willing to "experiment".

Yesterday I had to make a working(?) run of 80 miles. Just for grins, I turned on our PN-40 to see how it tracked. Having read many threads relating that it seems slow, or lags behind at driving speed, I expected to pass sideroads, bridges, streams and other landmarks before the unit said I was there.

It was not set to use for driving directions to any specific location, I was using only as a tracking device.

At 70 mph, it showed me passing each intersection, rail overpass and stream as I did so.

What am I missing, when others say that this unit seems to lag badly at driving speed? I am just guessing, but would it not track with the same accuracy at a slower speed also? Is my PN-40 different than the others that are out there?

Just a remark regarding the often made remark about the "slowness" of the PN-40 routing while driving...

I am still new to using our PN-40 and always willing to "experiment".

Yesterday I had to make a working(?) run of 80 miles. Just for grins, I turned on our PN-40 to see how it tracked. Having read many threads relating that it seems slow, or lags behind at driving speed, I expected to pass sideroads, bridges, streams and other landmarks before the unit said I was there.

It was not set to use for driving directions to any specific location, I was using only as a tracking device.

At 70 mph, it showed me passing each intersection, rail overpass and stream as I did so.

What am I missing, when others say that this unit seems to lag badly at driving speed? I am just guessing, but would it not track with the same accuracy at a slower speed also? Is my PN-40 different than the others that are out there?

Did you have any imagery on? When I mess with mine it seems to do better with it off. Otherwise it is a little slow, but not much off the mark.

Thanks

Did you have any imagery on? When I mess with mine it seems to do better with it off. Otherwise it is a little slow, but not much off the mark.

Thanks

Imagery? I passed an unfound cache (grabbed the "find" on the way back through), if that is what you mean.

It did show other caches that I did not feel I had time for (I was traveling on the boss' dime, after all). Did not activate POI's if that is what you meant. Of course, the topo-8 was displayed.

Thanks

Imagery? I passed an unfound cache (grabbed the "find" on the way back through), if that is what you mean.

It did show other caches that I did not feel I had time for (I was traveling on the boss' dime, after all). Did not activate POI's if that is what you meant. Of course, the topo-8 was displayed.

Just topo 8, nothing else. On the map page, hit menu and turn off imagery. It should speed it, it does for me.

Thanks

Edited by The Yinnie's

For my money, the Lowrance Endura Sierra really rocks for verbal/audible navigation with the Turn by Turn card. calc's and recalcs are nearly instantaneous. Performance easily on par with dedicated auto units. Almost bought a Nuvi until this card came out for this unit. Love it.

Be safe.

N

Both the Endura Safari ($299) and Sierra ($399) will do routable turn by turn voice direction with an add on card (99.99).