Update Notice on GC.com Pages

ao318

Went caching today and when I came home to log my finds and DNF's I noticed a "Red" border at the top of the screen which read, "Geocaching.com will be going down at 8 PM Pacific Time (GMT -8) today for approximately 4 hours. Updates will be posted to the Groundspeak forums or you can follow us on Twitter to receive an immediate update when the site is back online."

Very cool notification. I have never noticed this before when the site was due for maintenance. Maybe I never logged in on those days that were due for maintenance before but I like the notification and the link attached to it.

Thanks GC.com

I totally agree with your sentiments, but found the hyperlinks very difficult to read. There needs to be more contrast between them and the background to make it a perfect solution. Using FoxClocks on my Firefox browser also helps convert US Pacific time to my local time!

Chris

Edited by Matthew 7:7 Too

Hopefully this will hinder the "angry" remarks I've read and heard in the past from cachers who were unable to make geocaching plans while the site underwent maintenance.

My money is on at least two new forum threads being started within 5 minutes after 8 PM from users who had no clue about the downtime. <_<

(yeah, the notice was at the top of the weekly email newsletter and in several places in the forums, but I bet it'll still take many people by surprise)

Hopefully this will hinder the "angry" remarks I've read and heard in the past from cachers who were unable to make geocaching plans while the site underwent maintenance.

My money is on at least two new forum threads being started within 5 minutes after 8 PM from users who had no clue about the downtime. <_<

Here's a screen capture to rub their noses in prove it really happened. ;)

banner-2010-02-23.png

I also wish they had added the forum link like they used to.

I'm glad they removed it. That link amounted to a Denial-Of-Service attack on the forums. The website runs on 6 servers to handle the load, but when they were down for maintenance, all those geocachers were funneled onto the singular forum server, which choked under the load. Tonight the forums are still usable.

I also wish they had added the forum link like they used to.

I'm glad they removed it. That link amounted to a Denial-Of-Service attack on the forums. The website runs on 6 servers to handle the load, but when they were down for maintenance, all those geocachers were funneled onto the singular forum server, which choked under the load. Tonight the forums are still usable.

ah...Somehow I got logged out of the Waymarking forums, and it wouldn't accept my login. Used the button for a new password, and still locked out. I guess I'll try again in the morning.

I agree it was nice to have notice of the downtime.

It might be time to remove that message from geocaching.com pages unless they REALLY are going to be down again tonight.

Edited to add: Oops. I read it more carefully. Are they really going down this morning/afternoon? (I guess it wouldn't hurt to be explicit in what "today" is...but I guess we are going back down.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

I agree it was nice to have notice of the downtime.

It might be time to remove that message from geocaching.com pages unless they REALLY are going to be down again tonight.

The banner was a nice touch, and a great way to get the word out. Regarding taking it down now...seems it has changed and is current - now reads:

Geocaching.com will be going down at approximately 11 AM Pacific Time (GMT -8) today for regular site maintenance. Updates will be posted to the Groundspeak forums or you can follow us on Twitter to receive an immediate update when the site is back online.

Bill

I'm a little put out, because once again, Groundspeak hasn't used Signal in their site down page. Common, you know that a little bit of Signal goes a long way in making people smile, despite being shut out of the site:

404.gif

;)

We want Signal!

:laughing::laughing:

Yeah! Signal, Signal, Signal! (drums up the crowd)

Three cheers to the folks that stayed up really late working on getting things going. :P

I'm a little put out, because once again, Groundspeak hasn't used Signal in their site down page. Common, you know that a little bit of Signal goes a long way in making people smile, despite being shut out of the site:

404.gif

:P

We want Signal!

Yeah! Signal, Signal, Signal! (drums up the crowd)

Three cheers to the folks that stayed up really late working on getting things going. :)

I propose that each time there's an update or down time like this, that we get a new drawing of Signal doing something silly. B);)

And agreed on the three cheers for the people working on the site - you guys rock! B)

404.gif

;)

We want Signal!

I just checked out the video on Groundspeaks' About page. You can see Signal strutting his/her? stuff there:

Groundspeak Video