Going on my first geocache today!

first78

Well I'll shortly be setting off in search of my first ever cache!! I've borrowed a gps off a friend and am looking forward to having a go!! Not totally sure exactly how the gps works, but the cache I've chosen is quite a simple one in an area I know so I thought it would be a good one to start with. Wish me luck!! Off I go!!!

WooHoo!!! We found it!!! <_< It was only about 900m from where we parked the car and was a great walk along a footpath to a little woody area and after searching around the tress for 10 mins we found it!!! It was so exciting to find my first ever cache...going to look for another one to try tomorrow!!!

WooHoo!!! We found it!!! <_< It was only about 900m from where we parked the car and was a great walk along a footpath to a little woody area and after searching around the tress for 10 mins we found it!!! It was so exciting to find my first ever cache...going to look for another one to try tomorrow!!!

Obviously not addicted yet, if you can wait till tomorrow for your next fix!! You're reminding me of the excitement of that first ever find.. great that you enjoyed it - have fun tomorrow...

Great job welcome to the obsession!

After a bit you will come to learn/ feel out a obvious cache location, use the gps to get close then put it away. Do not set it down next to the cache or it may get left behind

Some of your local cachers will like certain types of cache containers maybe this cachers coordinates are off by 20 feet at every cache. Some like to put things up on top of mountain peaks. You will get educated quickly on all of the quirks of the area you are caching in.

Edited by rambrush

WooHoo!!! We found it!!! :unsure: It was only about 900m from where we parked the car and was a great walk along a footpath to a little woody area and after searching around the tress for 10 mins we found it!!! It was so exciting to find my first ever cache...going to look for another one to try tomorrow!!!

Obviously not addicted yet, if you can wait till tomorrow for your next fix!! You're reminding me of the excitement of that first ever find.. great that you enjoyed it - have fun tomorrow...

Well after the first cache we ended up going out and finding two more this afternoon...think maybe this is going to become an obsession!! <_<

Thanks, will definitely check out emcache.com Can I ask, what is GSAK?

GSAK is "Geocaching Swiss Army Knife" which is THE program for storing and manipulating cache data. If you become a premium member you can run searches on Geocaching.com called pocket queries and can download the resulting caches into GSAK 500 at a time ( or even get GSAK to retrieve and download the results all by itself). If you are not a PM you have to download the GPX files from the cache pages one by one.

From GSAK you can sort and select waypoints and cache information to send to a GPS or PPC

Thanks, will definitely check out emcache.com Can I ask, what is GSAK?

GSAK Geocahing Swiss Army Knife.

If you are a Premium Member you can get PQ's (Pocket Queries) of up to 500 caches to load into your GPS.

Loading into GSAK allows you to filter various bits before sending the caches to your GPS.

eg. Don't like Puzzle caches, exclude them from the PQ search.

Only want caches with up to a terrain rating of 3, exclude them from the PQ search.

Solve a Puzzle cache at home? Save the corrected co-ordinates in GSAK, and when ready you can load them into your GPS.

Like Stats? GSAK has lots of macros to help you get them Check my profile! <_<

Omg, I never thought of that, awesomeness!!!!

Another one that a lot of people haven't thought of is to print out a list of your day's caches in the order you want to do them. Set up User Sort in Options general for current value=0 and increment=5 then mark your caches by double clicking in the User Sort column which will then number them 5, 10, 15 etc. Filter on user sort and click on the column heading to sort by the user sort numbers and print. out your list in the correct sequence.