Nano Cache Story

jeepdelfuego

I hid a nano that everyone seems to find. On the 30th of January about 5 different cachers found it. Then, on the next day a newbie cacher writes that he couldn't find the cache and kind of nastily says that I should replace the cache, or de-list the hide. He said that he only found a magnet that seemed to have held the missing geocache. I emailed him back with a link to a picture of a nano cache. He then emails me back that he took it and traded it for some dancing girl at another cache site. I think he needs to get flogged.

You'll probably appreciate this nano story then. The lengths I went to in order to save a nano!

Went to GZ in the woods to find an old ford pickup tailgate (yeah, I know, it should have been CITO'ed out) to find a magnetic nano on one end of it. I had stood the tailgate up to search it so it was vertically oriented. I was showing SwampyGirl where it had been hidden when I fumbled it and it went into a crack in the trailgate and disappeared inside. I spent the next 45 minutes working to retreive the blinky from inside the old tailgate. It finally came out of the crack as I was shaking the thing, only to go flying off into the sand! After a few more minutes of sifting through the sand I finally got smart and went to the Jeep for a long box end wrench I had in the toolbox. After dragging it through the sand for a couple of minutes I finally heard the metallic 'click' when the magnet grabbed my wrench. Success!

I signed the log and VERY carefully put it back where it was when I found it.

Funny that I spotted the cache in about 2 minutes after arriving at GZ but we spent about an hour there working on it! :D

You mean, it was just a toy dancing girl? I thought we were talking about a live one!

Anyway... I've taken (when I remember to) to putting a drop of superglue on the underside of the few nanos that I have out there. Capillary action will pull it around and under the magnet and will help prevent that sort of failure.

I retrieved a magnetic nano one night. As I was signing the log some muggles appeared round the corner and I hastily shoved it all in my pocket. After they'd gone I fished it out again but dropped it. I thought it had rolled under a parked car. I spent about half an hour trying to find it - I had the log and half of the nano but couldn't find the other half anywhere.

I eventually gave up and started to go back to my car, thinking I'd have to e-mail the CO when I got home to apologize. Could I still claim a find as I'd signed the log?

When I got my keys out of my pocket they felt strange - yes, the magnetic part of the nano was stuck to them! Phew. Quickly replaced as found and beat a hasty retreat. :D

I retrieved a magnetic nano one night. As I was signing the log some muggles appeared round the corner and I hastily shoved it all in my pocket. After they'd gone I fished it out again but dropped it. I thought it had rolled under a parked car. I spent about half an hour trying to find it - I had the log and half of the nano but couldn't find the other half anywhere.

I eventually gave up and started to go back to my car, thinking I'd have to e-mail the CO when I got home to apologize. Could I still claim a find as I'd signed the log?

When I got my keys out of my pocket they felt strange - yes, the magnetic part of the nano was stuck to them! Phew. Quickly replaced as found and beat a hasty retreat. :D

Over the past Christmas vacation I dropped a blinkie in knee deep snow. I thought it was a goner for sure but was amazed to find it after 10 minutes of searching.

Edited by briansnat

Just recently I found a cache by the new Gopher stadium at the U of M. It was well past midnight and a security guard must have spotted me looking for a nano. I found it, signed the log and was about to replace when I noticed that the magnet had come off the bottom. I searched GZ and was attempting to reattach the magnet when two cop cars pulled up. They were concerned I was lurking around the precious new stadium, but luckily the nice lady officer knew what geocaching was. I explained what I was doing and showed her the cache. I couldn't get the magnet to work with the container and since the officers clearly wanted to vamoose, I took the cache and repaired it at home. I felt pretty stupid fumbling with a magnet and a nano while the cops wanted some answers, but I was able to replace the container better than new.

We recently placed a nano at a scenic lookout...the second to find noted that the bottom fell off the container. I thought they meant the bottom half of the container, but no. Just the very end - never seen that before. You could peer in from the bottom and see the logsheet. Container replaced, and I hope this one lasts longer!

Some friends of mine once told me about a "fake rock" hide of their that went wrong...

Used a real rock and drilled a hole in it big enough for a Bison Tube...hide the cache and waited for finders...all was going about average for a real rock among rocks in a wooded area...had a friend of theirs in town for a day and took him out caching...they watched and heckled at he searched. As he came to the rock, they waited in anticipation of his reaction...only, instead of a find (by lifting the rock and turning it over) he threw the rock into the river...bye-bye cache!!! They all had a laugh and the cache was replaced the next day...