Help finding caches

bnjsim

Hi,

I am wondering if i am doing something wrong in finding these caches. I have attempted about 7 of them now and only found one and it was a large cannister like cache. I am able to get into the area of the cache and my GPS indicator Garmin HTrek goes off indicating i am approaching the cache. However when i start looking for it, the indicator on the Htrek starts to say within 5 ft and then 10 ft etc.. then i move back and it changes a different foot again.

Is there a way to program the GPS Htrek so that i can get closer. I have tried to search for micro size caches and no luck.. I am just wondering if i am doing something wrong or should i be narrowing the GPS down further??

Need help. Bought this to do with the family and now none of the kids want to do it because we have only found one so far and it gets frustrating for all of us... :D

Any input would be appreciated.. Thanks so much/

Additional information...

I have the GPS where i download everything direct from this site and it has the geocaching mode on the GPS so i can go paperless and i am just choosing park areas i am familiar with, but i am wondering what is happening when i get really close that i can't find it??

You are close. Nothing gets you exactly on the cache. You need to start out on small to large 1-1.5 diff/terr caches. This will make you more successful. When you get close to an area just stop and think, "where would I hide something". Look at the hints and see if they have been found recently.

You may want to look at ebay under "geocaches", to get an idea of some of the different containers and there is a post here called "Cool Cache Containers", that have images of many different types of hides.

One other thing, you don't need to start a new topic if you forget to add something. All you need to do is edit or add to your existing post. It just gets confusing jumping around different posts.

Good luck and don't get frustrated. You may also want to try and find some on your own and then go back with the kids when you know where it is to increase their success rate.

Edited to add link

Edited by ao318

Hi, I am only new to this as well, we have been caching for 2 weeks. So far we are loving it. So I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Your GPS will only get you close, it will not get you right on the spot. when you get close put your gps down and let it settle for 5mins, then pick it up and see if it will get you any closer.

Just start looking around, look for things that don't look like they belong, a pile of branches or rocks etc. look at the land take note of the colouring of rocks and wood, you will be surprised at how easy it is to spot a hide.

Micro's are different, think to yourself " where would I hide this if it were me" start looking at all of the places you would hide it. If you still can't find it, stand back and think outside the box.

Pick easy caches for your first few and stay away from Nano's and Micro's until you have the hang of it.

If it were a case of using the GPS to get you to the exact spot we would soon get bored, the hunt is what it is all about (for me anyway).

Good luck I hope you and your family have a great time caching :D

Edited by evaredy

GPS receivers are not 100% accurate. Even when they say you are right on, you could potentially be 20 feet away. Now imagine if the hider was also 20 feet away when he took a reading and that is potentially 40 feet from ground zero. Fortunately, most of the time it is not like that. I'd say that about 95% of caches I've found within 20' and around 80% of those within a few feet.

When you get close to ground zero, rely more on your eyes and less on the GPSr.

Here is how I search for a cache.

I use the gps to get me as close to GZ as possible, within a reasonable time period. So say I walk up on "gz" and I notice the numbers drop to 10 feet. I'll check the accuracy setting, say it is 15 feet, set the gps down and start searching a 25 foot radius area.

After 5-10 minutes or so I'll double check the readings and see if I can't get closer. and repeat the search. The most important thing to remember is that the GPS isn't going to find the cache for you. You still have to use your head and eyes to find it, and some hides are truly clever, designed to make you use your brain as well as geo-sense.

The general accuracy of most handheld GPS devices is around 15 to 25 feet. Remember though you have might have to add your potential error to any error the cache owner had when placing the cache. That means you could easily find yourself looking for a cache up to 50 feet from where your unit says ground zero is. Most of the time you will find them within 20 feet or less but do be prepared to widen your search. Put the GPS away when you are within 20 feet or so and start looking for likely hiding spots.

Back off and re-approach the area if necessary to verify you are looking in the right spot.

Had to go see where your find was located to know where you are. I was going to offer to go together!!! Alas I am in Oklahoma!! You might find someone in your area and tag along for a day. It would be a great way to get some experience, and make a friend you could enjoy the hunt with!!! I would enjoy hunting with someone else those times when my spouse isnt available to go with me.

Starting with micros is going to be tough. Good luck!!!!! :D

I am wondering if i am doing something wrong in finding these caches.

bnjsim,

You're doing well by adding a "DNF" to the cache log. It's useful info to the Cache Owner, as well as to others who may want to know if some people have trouble finding the cache.

Now that you've done your DNF, contact the CO and ask for a hint. If it's a 1.5-star or lower cache (the ones you should be starting with), and an active local CO (which is what they're supposed to be), they may offer help. Then you'll have a better idea of what to look for next time.

I quickly figured out to check the cache listing carefully, so I have a game plan when I arrive at GZ (although lately, I often just go and try my luck). If you don't know exactly where to look, don't be surprised if you can't find it.

Edited by kunarion

I'm really new to this. one cache found so far, have looked for about 6 of them. The GPS on my phone is way off, So I need to get a different one if I'm going to continue doing this. until then, I'm putting the coordinates into google earth to get a better of idea of where I should be searching for the caches.

A friend said to make sure and check the logs online to see if the cache has been found lately, before trying to find them. My first find, I wasn't sure if I had done it right since there was no log book, so contacted the CO and sure enough the log was missing. It was a good thing I did because they told me of another cache of theirs that I was going to try to find was missing after alot of rain in our area.

Your GPS is doing just fine. If it gets you within 20-40 feet of the cache it has done it's job. Remember that the hider's GPS may have had only a 20 foot accuracy when he hid it and took the coordinates. Your unit may only have a 20 foot accuracy as well. This means that you may be as far as 40 feet from the cache when your unit says zero. You will have to use your eyes and senses to find the cache.

I wouldn't start by searching for micros. Those can be very difficult to find if you haven't found very many. A typical 3 star difficulty micro may take you 30 minutes or more to find. Higher difficulties may take even longer or multiple trips to find. Most kids new to caching won't have that much patience. Some micros are smaller than a dime in size. If you have to search a 40 foot radius for something that small you can understand why they may take a long time to spot or several tries to find them.

Start by searching for 2 star and below on difficulty and regular or small size caches. The larger size alone will reduce the number of possible hiding places. Check recent logs and look for caches that have several finds recently. If you see a high DNF to find ratio that may mean that the cache is there but very hard to find.

Don't be discouraged because you are having trouble finding micros. I almost always cache with my wife, SwampyGirl. I located a micro one day that was hidden on a palm tree root. She said she wanted to keep looking to see if she could spot it. After 10 minutes of her looking directly at it she still hadn't seen it. I started giving her "hot" and "cold" clues. Finally she picked up the root and had it in her hand. She gave it a good long look and put it back down and started searching again. She had it in her hand and didn't see it. And this was after we had over 400 finds. I got her to pick it back up again and as she would turn it over in her hands I would say "you can see it now", then as she turned it away, "you can't see it". After several minutes of this, she still didn't see it even though it was in her hands. I finally had to show it to her. Her mind just didn't grasp what she was looking at. We all have days like that sometimes. I've even missed ammo cans before that were right under my feet.

Having a hard time finding them sometimes is just part of the game. If every one we looked for was an obvious find when we got there, the game wouldn't be as much fun or challenging.

Don't give up, just try changing your tactics slightly until you start finding a few and get more experience.

Most of all, Have fun! ;)

Does it matter whether the GPS's North Reference is set to Magnetic or True?

As you can figure, we're new to this & have had little luck so far.

No, doesn't really matter. The coord grid would be the same regardless of magnetic declination.

That shouldn't cause you to have little luck though. What's not happening for you?

Being new, you should be aware, the GPSr will not (in most cases) put you atop the cache. It will put you within a reasonable distance of the cache. When arriving at Ground Zero (GZ), when your GPSr indicates that your are "there", you still must search. An average accurate GZ will be a 20' circle -- add to that the placement GPSr also was within a 20' circle. Based upon that, you may well have to search a 40' circle.

It is afterall, still a hunt, is it not?

HINT: Stay away from micro and nano caches until you are more experienced. They can be a tiny as your little fingernail (or smaller).

In the case of geocaching, the most important aspect is to hone your geocache hunting senses (called geosense).

We have found that putting the GPSr away when you arrive at GZ, then think like a "hider" rather than a "hunter" is best. [Now, where would I hide the darn thing?]

Good luck and have fun.

I almost always cache with my wife, SwampyGirl. I located a micro one day that was hidden on a palm tree root. She said she wanted to keep looking to see if she could spot it. After 10 minutes of her looking directly at it she still hadn't seen it. I started giving her "hot" and "cold" clues. Finally she picked up the root and had it in her hand. She gave it a good long look and put it back down and started searching again. She had it in her hand and didn't see it. And this was after we had over 400 finds. I got her to pick it back up again and as she would turn it over in her hands I would say "you can see it now", then as she turned it away, "you can't see it". After several minutes of this, she still didn't see it even though it was in her hands. I finally had to show it to her. Her mind just didn't grasp what she was looking at. We all have days like that sometimes. I've even missed ammo cans before that were right under my feet.

Having a hard time finding them sometimes is just part of the game. If every one we looked for was an obvious find when we got there, the game wouldn't be as much fun or challenging.

Although not my wife, :unsure: , my cache partner has twice as many finds as I do and like you said.... there are days when one or both of our minds just can't seem to engage at the right time. I've spotted some that took her several more minutes to find. Conversely she's spotted many that I have a hard time with as well. :D

Does it matter whether the GPS's North Reference is set to Magnetic or True?

As you can figure, we're new to this & have had little luck so far.

Not for 99+% of Geocaches.

The arrow on your GPS unit will point at the cache no matter what the setting is once you start navigating toward it.

The only time it comes into play is on certain offset and puzzle caches where you have to project a waypoint or head off at something like 44 degrees for 300 feet. Usually the description will tell you to use true North or Magnetic North.

I'm really new to this. one cache found so far, have looked for about 6 of them. The GPS on my phone is way off, So I need to get a different one if I'm going to continue doing this. until then, I'm putting the coordinates into google earth to get a better of idea of where I should be searching for the caches.

A friend said to make sure and check the logs online to see if the cache has been found lately, before trying to find them. My first find, I wasn't sure if I had done it right since there was no log book, so contacted the CO and sure enough the log was missing. It was a good thing I did because they told me of another cache of theirs that I was going to try to find was missing after alot of rain in our area.

What phone do you have? Most phone's GPSr is close to as good as the expensive units (they all have WAAS nowadays). The real problem with a lot of phone GPSrs is that they have "Static Navication" feature which helps with driving, but when walking slow, can make the possition lock. If you keep this in mind, you will have more sucsess. I have used my HTC Touch (Vouge) for all of my finds. Occasionaly, when the static navigation realy buggs me, I will use a bluetooth GPSr puck (you can get them for cheep).

GPS receivers are not 100% accurate. Even when they say you are right on, you could potentially be 20 feet away. Now imagine if the hider was also 20 feet away when he took a reading and that is potentially 40 feet from ground zero. Fortunately, most of the time it is not like that. I'd say that about 95% of caches I've found within 20' and around 80% of those within a few feet.

When you get close to ground zero, rely more on your eyes and less on the GPSr.

One time, as my GPSr said 0m away, I tripped over the cache container, and fell flat on my face. So, as you get close, don't stare at the GPSr so much. You could get injured.

I find that my first approach to the gz is always the best reading. I always slow down as I get close. I find that if I put the gps away and just think about where the hiding place is and look for signs of a hiding place depending on the size, description and surroundings. If I don't find it right away I may move away and try another approach, but most of the time the first approach is the best. The time of the year, how long ago and weather the cache was hidden can affect the accuracy as well.

I find that my first approach to the gz is always the best reading. I always slow down as I get close. I find that if I put the gps away and just think about where the hiding place is and look for signs of a hiding place depending on the size, description and surroundings. If I don't find it right away I may move away and try another approach, but most of the time the first approach is the best. The time of the year, how long ago and weather the cache was hidden can affect the accuracy as well.

Hi,

I am wondering if i am doing something wrong in finding these caches. I have attempted about 7 of them now and only found one and it was a large cannister like cache. I am able to get into the area of the cache and my GPS indicator Garmin HTrek goes off indicating i am approaching the cache. However when i start looking for it, the indicator on the Htrek starts to say within 5 ft and then 10 ft etc.. then i move back and it changes a different foot again.

Is there a way to program the GPS Htrek so that i can get closer. I have tried to search for micro size caches and no luck.. I am just wondering if i am doing something wrong or should i be narrowing the GPS down further??

Need help. Bought this to do with the family and now none of the kids want to do it because we have only found one so far and it gets frustrating for all of us... <_<

Hi,

Need help. Bought this to do with the family and now none of the kids want to do it because we have only found one so far and it gets frustrating for all of us... <_<

hELL0 bnjsim

i am a newbe as you are my first day NOTHING I was not going to give up you have to craw before you can walk/run take baby steps it will come to you give it time ok i have had my gps 3 days and i am finding afew and not finding a few but the best you can do is get a go0d gps i have a great one that zero in on the finding to alnost 6 feet of wher it is hinding //so dont give up 0k :unsure: