Just got my 600th FTF WHO HOO

Scubasonic

and man was it a hard....... :o this one had been out since 7/7/2008 and yet to be found it was just off the (Pacific Crest Trail) a little North of the Columbia River on the Washington side, had to look for about an hour coords were about 100 ft off.

Scubasonic

I thought FTFs don't mean anything in these here forums?? 600 is sweet. makes my 125 seem like child's play.

I'm indifferent to the FTF thing but it is prety cool you found a cache that has been lonely for so long.

Couple of questions for you. Why do you think this cache has never been found before? And why didn't you post your coordinates if it was 100' off?

Still, sounds like you had fun and that is the important part.

It is in a fairly remote area deep in the woods, I used my map of the Pacific Crest Trail along with the Geocaching map to see the road, and to see where the 2 intersected with one another. It looks like one cacher tried to go bushwacking from the road but ran into to much snow.

As far as the coordinates :o really didn't think about getting the new coords I searched for so long I was Dog tired, and wet, and cold just wanted to get otta there. It is a lonely place to be in February for an hour or so searching, and it was very steep terrain seems like with every step I was getting tripped by underbrush.

Scubasonic

and man was it a hard....... :o this one had been out since 7/7/2008 and yet to be found it was just off the (Pacific Crest Trail) a little North of the Columbia River on the Washington side, had to look for about an hour coords were about 100 ft off.

Scubasonic

I thought FTFs don't mean anything in these here forums?? 600 is sweet. makes my 125 seem like child's play.

FTFs don't mean anything to Groundspeak. FTFs mean unwanted competitiveness to what was once a non-competitive activity to those that were around in those days. FTFs mean much to those that value and seek them. FTF's don't mean much of anything to me, and to many others. I don't like 'em, I don't dislike 'em. But I can appreciate when somebody reaches what is a milestone to them, and this was obviously that.

:o Wow a name I recognize, congratulations on a real milestone to a fellow north westerner, I'm from castle rock wa. and I have seen your name on some of our local caches. that is an amazing feat you must get up in the middle of the night a lot...

Hello Yes I have cached at least up through Centralia, and yes you are right I have been out very late, but for me it's a lot of fun.

Scubasonic

Hey Scub, fantastic news. Congratulations. I checked out the cache in question. Amazing that it sat unfound for 18 months. I am glad that you were the one to find it first. I can just see the big grin on your face when you hiked up to GZ and uncovered it. Great job.

I got a FTF, once. That was enough and a story for another day. I'll leave the rest for experts such as yourself. That game is way too high stress for me.

Actually the best part of FTF for me is putting out caches (or seeing new ones listed) and watching which one of you FTF guys gets it first. My money is usually on you.

Scubasonic

FTFs don't mean anything to Groundspeak. FTFs mean unwanted competitiveness to what was once a non-competitive activity to those that were around in those days. FTFs mean much to those that value and seek them. FTF's don't mean much of anything to me, and to many others. I don't like 'em, I don't dislike 'em. But I can appreciate when somebody reaches what is a milestone to them, and this was obviously that.

...Agreeing with the ophthalmically-challenged dog.

Well done, Scubasonic. Sounds like you chose a good one for your special milestone.

MrsB :)

Scubasonic

First, congrats to Scubasonic for achieving that goal. 600 FTFs is pretty amazing.

Second, comparing total numbers of FTFs, or finds in a day, or total number of finds is pointless.

If three people wrote that the finished a race at 12:30pm, 12:35pm, and 1:00pm it doesn't tell us anything because we don't know anything about the race that each ran. One may have run 100yards and started 10 seconds ago, another may have run a mile and started running 5 minutes ago, and the last a marathon started three hours ago. You can't compare raw cache numbers if you don't know how long someone has been geocaching, how often they geocache, or how many geocaches they have available to find.

and man was it a hard....... :D this one had been out since 7/7/2008 and yet to be found it was just off the (Pacific Crest Trail) a little North of the Columbia River on the Washington side, had to look for about an hour coords were about 100 ft off.

Scubasonic

I was using dat sarcasm, that one that knows Chad.

Congrats on a job well done! :unsure::D I haven't checked lately but I'm probably at less than 20 FTF's.

I would be honored if someone, anyone came and found the cache I hid on November 19, 2009.

You might still have to hike 2 or 3 miles on snowshoes to get to the fire tower in the Willamette NF.

Well this one is a pretty fair drive from my GZ.

Scubasonic