What do when Cache log full?

laughing13

I found the cache Temporary Residence in PA this weekend. It was my first cache find.

Quick question. Though I had no interest in signing the log, the cache log was completely full. what is the thing to do? Take the log and replace it? But then what do i do with the full log?

Anyway, please help the new guy. :) thanks

laughing13

1. Why would you have no interest in signing the log?

You should (according to the guidelines) sign the log in order to claim it as a find.

2. At least in your posting you should inform the Cache Owner that the log is full OR post a "Needs Maintenance" log with the same information.

3. You could add a logbook, leaving the old logbook in place. Still notifying the owner. The log belongs to the cache owner.

-------------

4. Any photos, though usually appreciated, should not show the cache in it's hiding spot! (Known as a "spoiler")

All said and done, here is some good reading and info: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=8749

:)

If there was room - I'd add a small sheet of paper as my logsheet.

Also - full isn't necessarily full - I've signed the margin on a page with somebody else's log before.

If you take the logbook or logsheet - always offer to mail (postal service) it to the owner and leave a suitable replacement.

I found the cache Temporary Residence in PA this weekend. It was my first cache find.

Quick question. Though I had no interest in signing the log, the cache log was completely full. what is the thing to do? Take the log and replace it? But then what do i do with the full log?

Anyway, please help the new guy. :) thanks

laughing13

You do not "take the log", only the CO does that.

As was mentioned above, squeeze your siggy in between others on the log. Of course the obvious problem with this, if it matters to you, is that the date will likely be out of sequence. However, the date is unimportant on a full log anyways.

Mention the full log in your online log so that the CO can be notified and go and replace it. If you happen to have a logbook with you that fits, place it in the cache and let the CO know.

As you can see there are several things that you can possibly do, depending upon the particular circumstance. Mostly they are simple common sense.

Edited by Team Cotati

I've never encountered a log that was so full I couldn't stick my initials and a date somewhere on it. If I did I would probably add a slip of paper with my name and log a Needs Maintenance.

Just curious why you would not be interested in signing the log, being that it is considered by most to be an essential element of this sport.

Full is in the eye of the beholder. It was reported on one of my caches that the log was full. With log in hand I went to check it out. Yep all the lined sides of the log book pages were used. The un-lined backsides were completely blank. Oh, well, I replaced the log. Lesson learned, make sure lines are on both sides of the log pages. Even with lined spiral bound logbooks I noticed it is popular to only use one side, when that is full to go on to the next page. Whats wrong with odd numbered pages?

Full is in the eye of the beholder. It was reported on one of my caches that the log was full. With log in hand I went to check it out. Yep all the lined sides of the log book pages were used. The un-lined backsides were completely blank. Oh, well, I replaced the log. Lesson learned, make sure lines are on both sides of the log pages. Even with lined spiral bound logbooks I noticed it is popular to only use one side, when that is full to go on to the next page. Whats wrong with odd numbered pages?

Yup I did a maintenance run on one of my caches ones.

Someone was complaining about a full log.

In my log "I said turned log over lots of space now."

Thank you all for the replies.

The log appeared to me to be fuller than full - signed on the front, back, sides, corners, everywhere - and it was sopping wet (and the day was dry.) It seemed the helpful thing to do would be to replace it for the CO (I'm guessing that's the person who left the cache.) However, as someone noted, probably best to simply mark it on this site as "needs maintenance." I have also emailed the CO so they are aware.

As for why I had no interest in signing the log? 1. It wouldn't have mattered in this case! B) and 2. That just doesn't strike me as necessary for the enjoyment. Finding it is the challenge, that's all. I did leave a note in the online log, so the CO knows their cache was appreciated.

Thanks again.

laughing13

I knew the days of people writing about their journey to the geocache in the logbook were long gone, but I had no idea that geocachig has become so paperless that some people have no interest in even signing their name. B)

Oh well, whatever makes geocaching "fun" to the geocacher is all that really matters I guess. :o

Edited by heyjonathan101

With on-line cache logging, is it not likely that paper cache logs will become increasingly redundant?

Playing the game "fully" is the fun. IMO, doing it any other way is just plain lame. When you unroll a nano and see who was there before you, or looking at the swag that is in a larger cache, you are looking at a bit of history and adding to it. And having those come after you see when the last person was there.

I remember one Christmas Day caching quest where a friend and I were in a state park and we got a call from a friend that was in the same park, they saw our names and called to see how far ahead we were. We ended up taking a shrt lunch and waited, then our friend came along and we had a great time caching until the wee hours of night. Had we just "looked"at the cache, the hook up would never have happened.

With on-line cache logging, is it not likely that paper cache logs will become increasingly redundant?

Maybe doing it is a system of sorts of "checks and balances" in that it would conceivably be possible to sit at your computer and log finds that in fact were never made. While signing the log won't change that, if the log in the cache is signed it provides some measure of proof that you, or somebody signing your name, was actually at the cache.

??

Maybe doing it is a system of sorts of "checks and balances" in that it would conceivably be possible to sit at your computer and log finds that in fact were never made. While signing the log won't change that, if the log in the cache is signed it provides some measure of proof that you, or somebody signing your name, was actually at the cache.

??

Many thanks for the replies to my original question. I can see now that signing the paper log is important. I'm a newbie and did not consider that geocachers might log caches that they had not found. :laughing: