pn-40 firmware update 2.6 or 2.7 whats better and why

If you really want to have multiple waypoint/geocache files on SD card besides the one in active (internal) memory, then 2.7 will allow it. But it's not really ready for use yet with TopoUSA, so you have to figure some stuff out and jump through a hoop or two to get it to work. As stated, it's been released for use with the professional XMap series.

When the 2.8 firmware comes out in the spring with the Topo9 software, it will be easier to use. Some are choosing to wait, others are jumping in.

2.7 is mainly an update for XMAP users,,is that all it is for?

If you use GSAK then you can load file directly to the GPSr and by pass using Topo8 to load cache and benchmark files. I currently have about 4000 caches and benchmarks on the SD card ready to be found.

It takes a bit of patience to get used to the way the GPSr wants files loaded and saved, but once you get on to it, it goes fairly quick and easy. I'm glad I did the upgrade to 2.7.

John

If you use GSAK then you can load file directly to the GPSr and by pass using Topo8 to load cache and benchmark files. I currently have about 4000 caches and benchmarks on the SD card ready to be found.

It takes a bit of patience to get used to the way the GPSr wants files loaded and saved, but once you get on to it, it goes fairly quick and easy. I'm glad I did the upgrade to 2.7.

John

What are you doing to bypass using Topo8 and load the files?

John

What are you doing to bypass using Topo8 and load the files?

He's using GSAK. The latest version supports direct loading to the PN series.

I'm exactly with John (2oldfarts). If you've got a PN-40 (or PN-40SE), upgrade to ver 2.7, and get the latest GSAK. It works great for uploading caches / benchmarks to the GPS, Once in active memory, the 1000 waypoints & geocaches can be saved as .gpx files to the SD card (up to 32GB usable), including the cache page & as many logs as you want, or the full NGS datasheet.

You now have an almost unlimited number of caches / BMs with all data on the GPSr. OK, let's see... :mellow: Typical maximum file size on the SD will be less than 5MB for almost 1000 wayoints, including lots of long-ish cache / BM full data. As far as I can see, it is the ultimate in paperless geocaching / BM'ing. If my math is right, that's about 6.4 GigaCaches (GC? hmmm?) on the unit with a 32GB SD card. With full data! Wow! That's all the caches in the world, and all the benchmarks in the US, with all descriptions, and room left for plenty of maps on the SD card. Wow... can that be right? There will be a lot of files (over 1,700), and THAT might be the limit. Pretty crazy. The time to do he dowload & upload it all.... never mind..... But it could work! :(

P.S. No need to wait for version 2.8 firmware. Just use 2.7 and GSAK.

I'm exactly with John (2oldfarts). If you've got a PN-40 (or PN-40SE), upgrade to ver 2.7, and get the latest GSAK. It works great for uploading caches / benchmarks to the GPS, Once in active memory, the 1000 waypoints & geocaches can be saved as .gpx files to the SD card (up to 32GB usable), including the cache page & as many logs as you want, or the full NGS datasheet.

You now have an almost unlimited number of caches / BMs with all data on the GPSr. OK, let's see... :) Typical maximum file size on the SD will be less than 5MB for almost 1000 wayoints, including lots of long-ish cache / BM full data. As far as I can see, it is the ultimate in paperless geocaching / BM'ing. If my math is right, that's about 6.4 GigaCaches (GC? hmmm?) on the unit with a 32GB SD card. With full data! Wow! That's all the caches in the world, and all the benchmarks in the US, with all descriptions, and room left for plenty of maps on the SD card. Wow... can that be right? There will be a lot of files (over 1,700), and THAT might be the limit. Pretty crazy. The time to do he dowload & upload it all.... never mind..... But it could work! :D

P.S. No need to wait for version 2.8 firmware. Just use 2.7 and GSAK.

After seeing this I loaded 2.7 and I see a file option for waypoints, but not for geocaches. Am I missing something? How do I get geocaches on the SD card?

Caches are waypoints. After you have loaded the caches to the unit just go to menu, waypoints, file, save as, name the file. Delete the caches on the PN40 and start the process all over again. When you want to load a file back go to waypoints, File, Open select the file and the PN now display all the waypoints (and caches) associated with the file. The 2.8 update should make this process simpler.

Edit to add - If you use GSAK then I think there is a macro that will create the file(s) for your selected caches that based upon some user setting on how many caches\waypoints you want to have in each file.

Edited by snow_rules

After seeing this I loaded 2.7 and I see a file option for waypoints, but not for geocaches. Am I missing something? How do I get geocaches on the SD card?

The file option under waypoints takes care of both for now. Remember, 2.7 wasn't really made to be caching friendly. 2.8 Will provide file support under geocaching. Until then, here's the process if using GSAK:

Note: Start with a clean slate, no caches or waypoints in internal memory.

1. Load first PQ to 40 as normal

2. On 40, go to wapoints>file>save as, and name the file what ever you want

3. Highlight and press save. The PQ is now saved to the SD card.

4. Delete all geocaches/waypoints. Don't worry, the file will remain on the SD, it's just removed from internal memory.

5. Send next PQ to 40.

6. Repeat steps 2-4...and so on...and so on

Caches are waypoints. After you have loaded the caches to the unit just go to menu, waypoints, file, save as, name the file. Delete the caches on the PN40 and start the process all over again. When you want to load a file back go to waypoints, File, Open select the file and the PN now display all the waypoints (and caches) associated with the file. The 2.8 update should make this process simpler.

But am I not saving all waypoints, not just geocaches when I do this?

I suggest that you go to the 'waypoint' page on the PN-40 and make sure it is empty, then go to the 'Geocahes' page and verify that it is empty. If you are using GSAK just send the file you want to the GPSr. They will show up on the 'geocaches' page. You then go to the 'waypoints' page and select "save as' from the menu using whatever name you choose. After it has been saved go to the geocaches page and delete all the geocaches. Go back to the waypoint page and open the file you just saved and it will open in the geocaches page. You can then verify that the complete file was saved (header will tell you how many caches/points there are in that file). You can then delete all and load a new file to the GPSr and save it to the SD card, repeat as often as necessary to load as many files as you wish onto the SD card.

John

I suggest that you go to the 'waypoint' page on the PN-40 and make sure it is empty, then go to the 'Geocahes' page and verify that it is empty. If you are using GSAK just send the file you want to the GPSr. They will show up on the 'geocaches' page. You then go to the 'waypoints' page and select "save as' from the menu using whatever name you choose. After it has been saved go to the geocaches page and delete all the geocaches. Go back to the waypoint page and open the file you just saved and it will open in the geocaches page. You can then verify that the complete file was saved (header will tell you how many caches/points there are in that file). You can then delete all and load a new file to the GPSr and save it to the SD card, repeat as often as necessary to load as many files as you wish onto the SD card.

John

Thanks!

John

Did all this. Loaded the geocaches, went to the waypoint screen, hit "menu", then "file", then "save as" and edited the file name (to Bergen County) and hit "save". I believe that puts me in the file as it says Bergen County - 0 at the top of the page. It doesn't appear that it is saving anything, but I get no error messages.

John

Did all this. Loaded the geocaches, went to the waypoint screen, hit "menu", then "file", then "save as" and edited the file name (to Bergen County) and hit "save". I believe that puts me in the file as it says Bergen County - 0 at the top of the page. It doesn't appear that it is saving anything, but I get no error messages.

Look at the 'Geocaches' page and you should see the file that was saved. After you hit "save" the unit saves the file, but remains on the 'waypoint' page. You need to change pages to see the file you had just saved.

John

John

Look at the 'Geocaches' page and you should see the file that was saved. After you hit "save" the unit saves the file, but remains on the 'waypoint' page. You need to change pages to see the file you had just saved.

John

But if I'm on the geocaches page aren't I looking at the caches in unit's memory, not the SD card?

Brian: Correct. On the PN-40's Geocaches page, you will be seeing with waypoints of the Geocache type. Seperate pages are found & not found. I think what John meant that was whatever you see on that pages is the last thing you saved to or loaded from the SD card.

In active memory, you're still limited to 1000 total waypoints. You can have as many files of 1000 each as you can fit onto your SD though.

John

John

But if I'm on the geocaches page aren't I looking at the caches in unit's memory, not the SD card?

Try going to the waypoints page and using the menu to "open" the file that is on the SD card. It should appear on the geocaches page.

NOTE: The header on the waypoints page will read "file name - 0" so you then go to the geocaches page and the header will read "Not Logged Caches - XX" (where XX is the number of caches in the file). It will show a list of caches for that file.

You just need to be sure that you are on the "Geocaches Page" to see the file that you opened.

John

Been reading this and I think I understand how you guys are getting different files stored

on SD. My question is this...

Say I have three PQ's stored on SD.

#1, I've called "500 Birmingham"

#2, "200 Oxford"

#3 is "500 Atlanta"

I start a cache run in Birmingham, Al.with intentions of finishing in Atlanta, Ga.

I finish up in Birmingham and head east to Oxford, Al. How do I dump the active "Birmingham"

PQ and load the next PQ for Oxford? Then, when I'm finished with Oxford, on to Atlanta?

Also, after I've dumped each of these files from internal memory, are they still in SD memory?

Also, are field notes and find records saved when changing files?

Thanks.

Been reading this and I think I understand how you guys are getting different files stored

on SD. My question is this...

Say I have three PQ's stored on SD.

#1, I've called "500 Birmingham"

#2, "200 Oxford"

#3 is "500 Atlanta"

I start a cache run in Birmingham, Al.with intentions of finishing in Atlanta, Ga.

I finish up in Birmingham and head east to Oxford, Al. How do I dump the active "Birmingham"

PQ and load the next PQ for Oxford? Then, when I'm finished with Oxford, on to Atlanta?

Also, after I've dumped each of these files from internal memory, are they still in SD memory?

Also, are field notes and find records saved when changing files?

Thanks.

To change PQ files just go to the "waypoints page" and hit the menu button, select "open" then choose the file that you want. The GPSr will ask if you want to save changes to the SD card for the file that is currently in the 'active memory'. I would save the changes and then it will load the new file to active memory. If the active memory file is on the SD card, any changes to the active memory file can be saved to the version of that file, (that is on the SD card), thereby updating the SD card file for later use.

The files stay on the SD card until you decide to delete them.

John

Looks like I got it. When I was opening a file it would ask me if I wanted to save or discard changes. I instinctively said "save". That selection appears to over write the file on the SD card with the empty file in memory.

When I chose discard, I was then able to import the saved file from the SD card into the onboard memory.

Great improvement in this unit. Hopefully the process won't be as clunky when V2.8 comes out but it certainly nice to be able to hold more than 1,000 caches.