Do you think this cache should be approved?

mrlayance

My cache was denied. Do you think it should have been?

The cache is NOT at the posted coords.

This cache will help you appreciate how much data is flying around the air.

You will be amazed how many wireless access points are in the little neighborhood

of Beechville.

Instructions

Step 1.

Hidden some where within the shaded area below is a wireless access point.

Pic goes here.

You job is to scan the shaded area for a SSID that has the cache number in it.

At the end of the SSID will be a three digit code. You do not have to connect

to any access points.

eg. GC20TQ7 - ABC

You will need this code for step 2.

Step 2.

Take your 3 digit code and solve the simple puzzle below. First digit =A,

Second digit = B and Third digit = C

N 44 38.B3C

W 063 4A.AC0

Step 3.

Once you have found the cache you will need to unlock the cache. You will

need the 3 digit code from the access point (same one used to solve the puzzle)

for the combination lock.

The locking lid sticks a little, so if it lid moves up you have it, just pull

harder. If it just stays in place and jiggles, double check your combination

code.

I think it sounds cool. Assuming you're the one maintaining the wireless network (if not, I don't think this is a good idea) I think that perhaps stating that to receive the signal of the wireless network you do not have to go onto private property might help in the approval as I'm assuming that the area described by the shaded area will have private property on it. Perhaps the size of the shaded area was an issue? It shouldn't be (assuming that the actual cache location is within that 1-2 mile limit). The size of the shaded area should just be a difficulty scaling thing. Anyway, good luck!

Interesting. If I understood you correctly, (I'm not very tech savvy), there is nothing on the cache page which would require a GPSr to start this quest? You just wander around a specified zone till you hit the connection? That may be your fail point. If so, it sounds like an easy fix.

CR: I think that is the case but I don't think that having a GPSr to start the hunt is a requirement for puzzle caches. I know that for mine, the GPSr would generally take you to the parking area but to find the cache, one would have to solve the puzzle. This would (I imagine) walking/driving around with a wifi capable device (iphone/smartphone, netbook, laptop, etc) looking for it to discover the correct network.

Perhaps Trailgators hit the nail on its proverbial head that Groundspeak is uncomfortable with people being perceived doing this as part of the game. Not sure why that would be since they're pretty tech savvy and know that doing that can be as unobtrusive as the techniques others use to look for other caches. Instead of being cammo, this is more like datasphere GZ location.

/shrug. I guess we'll have to see what the actual reason was for denial. I think the general idea is a pretty neat idea for a mystery cache though.

Interesting. If I understood you correctly, (I'm not very tech savvy), there is nothing on the cache page which would require a GPSr to start this quest? You just wander around a specified zone till you hit the connection? That may be your fail point. If so, it sounds like an easy fix.

There's no requirement that the first stage have GPS usage. But it is requires at some point in the cache search, which this does.

Laws may be different there, but in the US, wardriving, per se, is not illegal. SSIDs are intended to be received by other systems. It's only when you try to actually connect is there a legal issue. I recall a news story where a fellow was arrested for using the free wireless connect of a coffee shop, from his car parked just outside the shop.

Edited by Prime Suspect

The "shaded area below" is an aerial photo depicting a large residential subdivision, complete with a local elementary school. Your initial design encourages "wardriving" all around this area. Many will try the school parking lot first.

There's a cache relying on SSID quite near my home, which I enjoyed finding a few years back. Instructions for completing the cache hunt (using my GPS) were quite obvious once I saw the list of nearby SSID's. The key difference was that the coordinates posted to the top of the cache page took me to a safe roadside parking pulloff where I could fire up my laptop and search for the wireless access point. It was at the very top of the list, as the cache owner's home was just a short distance away.

I am sure that, if you modified your design so that wardriving all over the neighborhood wasn't necessary, your SSID cache would join the ranks of many other published listings using the same idea.

The "shaded area below" is an aerial photo depicting a large residential subdivision, complete with a local elementary school. Your initial design encourages "wardriving" all around this area. Many will try the school parking lot first.

There's a cache relying on SSID quite near my home, which I enjoyed finding a few years back. Instructions for completing the cache hunt (using my GPS) were quite obvious once I saw the list of nearby SSID's. The key difference was that the coordinates posted to the top of the cache page took me to a safe roadside parking pulloff where I could fire up my laptop and search for the wireless access point. It was at the very top of the list, as the cache owner's home was just a short distance away.

I am sure that, if you modified your design so that wardriving all over the neighborhood wasn't necessary, your SSID cache would join the ranks of many other published listings using the same idea.

Thanks very much Keystone for this illuminating reply. I guess I neglected to factor in sensitive areas when I was thinking about the shaded area. Sounds like an easy fix based on this response B) Good luck!

Excuse me for my ignorance but what does "wardriving" mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardriving

Now I know and understand why I ignore such a thing.. wiki is retarded and user based. Most recognized universities want nothing to do with wiki... it is the fact check place for net newbies.

I would feel less intelligent for citing it.. you should also....

wikipedia is the last refuge of fools...

Now I know and understand why I ignore such a thing.. wiki is retarded and user based. Most recognized universities want nothing to do with wiki... it is the fact check place for net newbies.

Then cite another source if you think it is wrong...

Are you actually asking me to educate you? I never said it was wrong... good lord man... do you have any idea that wiki is a user based website?

I asked for an answer.. and you asked me to provide one? Sorry pal... not here to do your thinking.

Edited by brslk

Are you actually asking me to educate you? I never said it was wrong... good lord man... do you have any idea that wiki is a user based website?

I asked for an answer.. and you asked me to provide one? Sorry pal... not here to do your thinking.

Is there a particular reason that you feel the need to be abusive to someone who only tried to answer a question you were too lazy to Google for yourself?

Back on-topic: as Keystone said, this cache requires finding the SSID in a residential subdivision. From the aerial view I'd say that there are about 400 homes and 4km of roads. You're going to have people driving very, very slowly along there, hitting F5 to refresh their view of the available wireless networks. Hopefully the person in the passenger seat will be doing that, but in any case, I would fully expect law enforcement to be called at some point. The activity may or may not be illegal, but if it's a single male geocacher, that may be academic when he drives slowly past a teenage girl for the third time. :)

There's also the possibility that people who want to take a shortcut might attempt to determine the home location of the cache owner and drive there. This might not be what you want, especially if the wireless network in question isn't in fact located at your home.

Good idea. I will try that and see what happeneds.

Is there a particular reason that you feel the need to be abusive to someone who only tried to answer a question you were too lazy to Google for yourself?

Actually, I apologize to TrailGators and Alabama rambler. I was in a bad mood and was rude to someone trying to help. I am very sorry.

Bruce.

Actually, I apologize to TrailGators and Alabama rambler. I was in a bad mood and was rude to someone trying to help. I am very sorry.

Bruce.

There are a lot of people (myself included) that have dedicated quite a bit of time working on Wikipedia to try to make it an excellent resource.

I'm not asking for an apology, but I would appreciate it if you spent a little bit of time learning about the process and people involved in Wikipedia before you insulted the entire group. There are thousands of dedicated hard working volunteers and hundreds of thousands excellent, well-sourced articles. No, of course it's not a good final source for scholarly research, but it's great as a jumping off point or a quick and easy resource for more casual research.

Bruce.

No problem, I get bad days too. I was just curious to hear about what you thought was a better online source. I'm not going to start a new off-topic thread just to ask a quick question. :) So just message me if you have a better one... :D

Anyhow, we found out the reason the cache wasn't approved. I've never heard of a cache like that, but it sounds like a fun idea! B)

Of course not. Insulting others is against the guidelines.

SSID stands for "service set identifier." It's basically the name that a wireless router broadcasts so that others can connect to it. So when you're at a McDonald's or Panera Bread and see "Panera" or "McDonald's" that's the SSID. 2WIRE is a common name that the AT&T U-Verse service uses.