FYI Geocaching in a modern Movie, comming out this weekend.

ohioyeti

Just saw trailer for a new movie that features chaching in it. The movie seems kinda like an indy film.. I have not heard of it until today when I was watching trailers on Hulu (it comes out this weekend). I have included the link below. What does anyone think about this? Are we going to see a surge in membership? Will actually buying a GPS unit be a high enough barrier to keep people from trying it out? Will it be good, bad, or maybe something else?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/105024/movie-tra...s-splinterheads

Just saw trailer for a new movie that features chaching in it. The movie seems kinda like an indy film.. I have not heard of it until today when I was watching trailers on Hulu (it comes out this weekend). I have included the link below. What does anyone think about this? Are we going to see a surge in membership? Will actually buying a GPS unit be a high enough barrier to keep people from trying it out? Will it be good, bad, or maybe something else?

Liked it better when it was kinda UNDER THE RADAR :)

ScubaSonic

Ditto. Geocaching is quickly approaching the mainstream event horizon. I liked it better when nobody ever heard of it.

What is "the mainstream event horizon?"

This is what I think it is: (See the bolded print.)

From my observations:

The average new geocacher leaves the game before about 25 finds. I don't think we'll go mainstream in the next couple of years.

The average cache lasts much longer than the lifespan of a new cacher.

At some point, even if word of mouth stays relatively low, the database of caches will be so huge that the activity will begin popping up regularly on all sorts of radar; Curious muggles asking questions and telling others, Curious muggles calling the cops, Curious muggles finding a cache and calling the bomb squad which gets the media involved, Curious muggle turns into a geocacher, etc. Sure, it's happening now, but with a million, or more, caches in the collective geocaching databases, the frequency of these occurance will rise.

We can check the growth, but it won't stop.

More folks will sign on and tell more folks and hide more caches and get noticed more often and so on...... At some point, a majority will have at least some knowledge of geocaching.

When I discovered geocaching quite by accident, there was a fundamental appeal for me. I was hunting my first cache less than 12 hours later. After attending 69 geocaching events, I can say with authority that's a common thread of conversation. A mutual fundamental appeal for a new and interesting game of hide & seek. Hide & Seek is the very nature of nature if you give it some thought.

When a majority of the first world population has at least some knowledge of geocaching, this sport will go mainstream in the blink of an eye and everything that goes with it.....IMO

Edited by Snoogans

Ditto. Geocaching is quickly approaching the mainstream event horizon. I liked it better when nobody ever heard of it.

From my observations:

The average new geocacher leaves the game before about 25 finds. I don't think we'll go mainstream in the next couple of years.

At some point, even if word of mouth stays relatively low, the database of caches will be so huge that the activity will begin popping up regularly on all sorts of radar; Curious muggles asking questions and telling others, Curious muggles calling the cops, Curious muggles finding a cache and calling the bomb squad which gets the media involved, Curious muggle turns into a geocacher, etc. Sure, it's happening now, but with a million, or more, caches in the collective geocaching databases, the frequency of these occurance will rise.

More folks will sign on and tell more folks and hide more caches and get noticed more often and so on...... At some point, a majority will have at least some knowledge of geocaching.

When I discovered geocaching quite by accident, there was a fundamental appeal for me. I was hunting my first cache less than 12 hours later. After attending 69 geocaching events, I can say with authority that's a common thread of conversation. A mutual fundamental appeal for a new and interesting game of hide & seek. Hide & Seek is the very nature of nature if you give it some thought.

When a majority of the first world population has at least some knowledge of geocaching, this sport will go mainstream in the blink of an eye and everything that goes with it.....IMO

Has anyone managed to calculate the approximate date when that will occur?

From my observations:

2012?!

From my observations:

Yes. Nov.14, 2009.

From my observations:

I would DEARLY LOVE to see a mathmatician's prediction. :D:):(

I aren't too guud at cipherin'. :)

From my observations:

Hopefully some one will. I need time to prepare. You know, emotionally.

From my observations:

Hopefully some one will. I need time to prepare. You know, emotionally.

You might want to check with Vinny and Sue, the sock puppets might have it all planned out already, he is pretty efficient that way!

Hopefully someone will. I need time to prepare. You know, emotionally.

Here's a quote to feed the monsters from your id:

there are a lot of foolish people in the world and as Geocaching grows in popularity you will find more and more of them hunting for caches.

id%20monster.jpg

Is that from Supergirl or Buck Rogers...?

There was a sneak preview of this movie at the last Geowoodstock. If I recall the general consensus was that it had not so much to do with geocaching and more to do with "knuckle-headed white males are soooooo hilarious." And a hot young female person. And some potty languange. Some folks were focused more on the later then either of the former.

Edited by Castle Mischief

The Geocaching Event Horizon - December 21 2012, I hear there is a movie coming out this weekend about what happens when everyone looks for a film can under a lamppost at the exact same time.

I'm getting an image of that Far Side cartoon where the human, the dog, and the cat all collide and the bird enjoys the "coconut like sound" of their heads.

How long before geocaching is in the olympics? X-games? When will we see professional cachers?

How about a Discovery channel show called Cache Hunters? On our next episode, we hit as many LPCs in the tri-state area as possible in a one hour show.

That actually almost sort of happened. I didn't see it, but I'm told it was like watching Bear Grylls caching with the Croc Hunter while Mike Rowe worked the camera. BATTERIES WENT DEAD. PEOPLE COULD HAVE BEEN LOST FOR MINUTES. Very exciting stuff from what I read here.

there are a lot of foolish people in the world and as Geocaching grows in popularity you will find more and more of them hunting for caches.

id%20monster.jpg

Neither. It is the monster of the id from the classic movie, Forbidden Planet.

id%20monster.jpg

AAARGH! Why didn't I know that?!?! (I console myself with the belief that they used the same animation technique in Supergirl for that invisible monster. Or something)

Well, I'll take half credit. I knew the phrase "Monsters of the Id" was from Forbidden Planet, but I never would have identified the picture if that's all that was given.

Ok now - tell the truth...

After watching the trailer linked above for the movie - how many of you went online to:

A - see where it was

B - See if any real caches were there

??

Well, I've seen probably 5 or 6 different trailers (they're all on You Tube) and there's one scene where the male protagonist is pulled over by a cop, and definitely has a New York license plate on his car. I did a quick search, but didn't come up with any quick easy hits on any filming location(s) for the film.

I can't watch the trailer here from work, so I can't really comment on it, but I can say this about caching's chances of staying off the radar. As long as indy films, Numbers, and Law And Order continue to portray geocachers as running about three degrees out of sync with the rest of the world we will be fine. When they start to show us as the buff, intelligent, good looking studs and hotties that we all know we are there will be trouble. More trouble will come when some no talent movie or music hero tells People Magazine about this wonderful new craze he or she has discovered. Then all will be lost. :lol:

hairball

Looks fun.

So, who's near Kennedy Dells County Park, New City, NY 10956?

That's where the coords in the trailer took me: 41 10.259 -73 59.758

What's there?

Looks fun.

What's there?

See - I knew somebody couldn't resist!!! (see my post above in this thread!!)

Looks fun.

What's there?

See - I knew somebody couldn't resist!!! (see my post above in this thread!!)

Somebody couldn't? Heck, who here wouldn't?

Here is what the Oregonian newspaper had to say about Splinterheads

"The indie comedy "Splinterheads" is notable for being unfunny, excruciating and intellectually dishonest about romance in almost the exact same way as the year's worst big-budget studio comedy, "I Love You, Beth Cooper."

Like that film, "Splinterheads" is about a personality-free nebbish who does absolutely nothing to earn the attention of a woman who's hot -- and horrible.

Justin (Thomas Middleditch) lives with his mom (Lea Thompson) and works as a landscaper for his best friend (Jason Rogel). Justin meets an implausibly cute tattooed carnival worker named Galaxy (Rachael Taylor) after she steals his money. Rather than having Galaxy arrested, Justin spends the rest of the movie bumbling after her -- at the nearly empty carnival, at a swimming hole, on hikes -- as she indulges her "quirky" habit of geocaching.

The leads have no chemistry; the supporting cast of carnies and eccentrics is bland; the staging is dull; not a single gag lands; and Justin and Galaxy's one get-to-know-you conversation is never heard because it's buried in a road trip music montage. "

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf..._lacks_lau.html