things you leave in a cache

blobingob

i was just wondering if i can leave empty shot gun shells in caches that i go to that have items in them??? and by empty shot gun shells i mean they have already been used and they are no longer dangerous.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea for a couple of reasons:

1. Some people would consider it trash and throw it away

2. Would dogs / equipment detect the residue as explosive prompting the bomb squad to blow up the cache?

ya i thought about that but the ammo containers that are caches are aloud so??? i just dont know

It is generally considered not a good idea to hide an ammo can in an urban type environment. You did not specify where you'll be leaving these shells.

If you're considering leaving these as a signature item, customizing them in some way would be nice. I don't know what to suggest, however.

The other alternative is that you could just keep them for yourself, and make one of these:

loaded.jpg

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/02/s...hell_chair.html

the only reason i wanted to leave a shot gun shell is because i hunt waterfowl and it would be just something cool to leave because its like leaving my signature item but i dont know and all the caches i find have cheap little toys in them the shell is probably worth more then them but it was just a thought i had and i dont want to put anyone in a scary situation

the only reason i wanted to leave a shot gun shell is because i hunt waterfowl and it would be just something cool to leave because its like leaving my signature item but i dont know and all the caches i find have cheap little toys in them the shell is probably worth more then them but it was just a thought i had and i dont want to put anyone in a scary situation

This is just my opinion, but if you live in a part of the country where hunting and shooting is a way of life, then probably no problem. If you live in those places where people tend to freak out about every little thing, then maybe not such a good idea.

Why would an expended shotgun shell be worth more than a cheap toy?

I think it would make an interesting signature item, if you can customize it somehow. Just leaving the shells alone, it'll probably be perceived as trash.

Look at it another way. Let's say I drink a lot of beer. If I leave empty beer cans in geocaches, nobody is likely to appreciate it very much. However, if I leave something like this instead:

jordans_pictures212.jpg

I'm sure it'll be received pretty enthusiastically.

Why would an expended shotgun shell be worth more than a cheap toy?

I think it would make an interesting signature item, if you can customize it somehow. Just leaving the shells alone, it'll probably be perceived as trash.

Look at it another way. Let's say I drink a lot of beer. If I leave empty beer cans in geocaches, nobody is likely to appreciate it very much. However, if I leave something like this instead:

jordans_pictures212.jpg

I'm sure it'll be received pretty enthusiastically.

omg your a genius GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!! there need to be more people like you on here :rolleyes:

I am curious. What is your logic for thinking that someone would like to find a used (spent) shotgun shell in a cache? I don't see any value in it. If there is a value in spent shells, I would like to know because I know a few places where you can pick hundreds of them up off of the ground.

Around here, most target shooters just leave them wherever they land.

omg your a genius GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!! there need to be more people like you on here B)

I hope you're not referring to the peacock, because I don't know how to make that - the only one in the family who can make it is my 10 yr old daughter :rolleyes:

Sooooo...she drinks a lot of beer? I AM KIDDING!!!!

On topic, If you are going to do something with the shell other than just shoot it and then dump it in the cache, why bother, reload it. However if you did something to make the shell special, a decal or paint it or something.....I wold like to have one. I found a spent 45 casing that was engraved by the cacher as a sig item, really cool. But as someone else said, in an urban environment, it might be frowned upon.

I am curious. What is your logic for thinking that someone would like to find a used (spent) shotgun shell in a cache? I don't see any value in it. If there is a value in spent shells, I would like to know because I know a few places where you can pick hundreds of them up off of the ground.

some shells are worth more than others for example my 3 1/2 inch BB shells are worth more then lead shot trap shells and if i opened a cache and saw a bullet casing that is what i would take but it all depends on the person

i was just wondering if i can leave empty shot gun shells in caches that i go to that have items in them??? and by empty shot gun shells i mean they have already been used and they are no longer dangerous.

Hey, I think you should leave a used bottle cap, a dead battery, a used-up non-refillable pen, perhaps some ABC gum, how 'bout a pebble picked off the trail or maybe even some pocket lint?

Not trying to be a smart arse (Yes, I am)! B)

If you want to leave something cheap (if that is the issue), why not a clean zip-loc baggie other brand of seal-able plastic baggie. Something that somebody could use, aside from filling the next available trash can. Cripes, you can even print your moniker on it as a true sig item.

I think you would find other cachers would see you in a different light, dropping in a baggie instead of an old, used, dirty shotshell.

BTW....... if you need more shotshells, I have cases of once-fired Fed Premiums. :rolleyes:

My 5 year old and 9 year old go caching with me so maybe I'm bias but I always think "leave something that a kid would like finding", usually that thing (whatever it is) will also be enjoyed by adults. I'm not sure a used shotgun shell would fit the bill (but I've been proven wrong about this things).

Most? Really?

If that's true, then target shooters "around here" are ruder and dumber than most target shooters. All the target shooters I know are careful to pick up their empties. Those things cost money!

OOPS, I misstated. I should have said "Around here, it seems like most target shooters just leave them wherever they land.

I don't know how much they "cost" and I don't know how much you get for a return on spent shotgun casings. Perhaps someone could clue me in. There may be a fortune out there for me.

some shells are worth more than others for example my 3 1/2 inch BB shells are worth more then lead shot trap shells and if i opened a cache and saw a bullet casing that is what i would take but it all depends on the person

Sounds like it might be ok then, now that we have a little more background. As a signature item, great idea! Perhaps there's some way you can customise them so people recognise them as such?

I can't imagine anyone getting upset over finding a spent shotgun shell... even non-gun-oriented people can look at it and see that it's a hollow plastic tube. I expect someone will raise "but how do we know if the primer has been discharged" and technically they would be right... an active primer is an incendiary explosive, though pretty minute and not dangerous.

Still, I've been a hunter all my life and cannot imagine anything less valuable than a spent shotgun shell. They are garbage. They are dirty. They smell. Don't Do It! B)

On the other hand I have a couple boxes of WWII-era 12ga. M-19 00-Buck all-brass shotgun shells I brought back from Vietnam that I've always wanted to do something with. Deactivated and with my caching name engraved on them these would make a cool sig item (active they are worth ~$10 each on the collectors market).

But just a plain old expended shotgun shell? Fuhgeddaboudit.

ok so its official im going to leave a goose shell carving thhing because there cool and you can tell when the primer is used up if you look at the bottom where the pin strikes the shell if there is a dot it is used. ya i guess its reloadable but who just reloads the primer and im not talking about shells that have been in the mud the shells i would leave are brand new and just shot like the day before. and im not sure why you think they smell ? ya if you take your nose and put it right up to the shell it smells like used gun powder but that smells good

Ha, I'd get a kick out of the those spent shell sculptures. Only thing is they may get beat up/mangled quickly when mixed in with a bunch of other swag at the bottom of an ammo can.

I wonder if something like the little containers that come in vending machines for little rings/toys/sticky hands etc. would fit this? maybe not... there might be a nice sized container that would take the abuse of washing around in an ammo can but not need to be weatherproof etc... just sorta thinking while typing here.

Either way, cool sig item :rolleyes:

if the spent shell is your signature, sign it.

that simple act makes it valuable to a collector like me.

i saw a post above that spoke of used bottlecaps as being worthless, but i know one cacher who saves bottlecaps from his favorite brand of beer. he engraves them with his name and he numbers them, so they're very collectible.

if the spent shell is your signature, sign it.

that simple act makes it valuable to a collector like me.

i saw a post above that spoke of used bottlecaps as being worthless, but i know one cacher who saves bottlecaps from his favorite brand of beer. he engraves them with his name and he numbers them, so they're very collectible.

GOOD IDEA! But, being a homebrewer, I would use new caps. Maybe even have them printed before ordering. Still cheap. ;)

This is just my opinion, but if you live in a part of the country where hunting and shooting is a way of life, then probably no problem. If you live in those places where people tend to freak out about every little thing, then maybe not such a good idea.

I think Okie has the best answer. In WV where I live, many people are gun owners or even enthusiasts, and teach their kids to shoot/hunt before they are teenagers. There is little phobia of firearms as there is in more urban areas. As a young kid (perhaps 7-12 or so), I probably would have considered that a neat thing to find. Kids don't care if it is worthless or dirty or smelly -- if they like it, they like it. When my son is a bit older and started to care, if we were to stumble across something like that and he wanted to take it, I would gladly leave a lanyard or something in it's place.

EDITED TO ADD: I liked the carved up versions even better - great idea!

Edited by kraushad